Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 5/23/2005 7:00:46 PM EDT
Can these really teach the techniques effectively? I've been interested in Krav Maga (among other styles) but there aren't many schools here so I'm SOL. Are these DVD sets worth getting?
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 9:32:15 PM EDT
From my experience with instructional videos, is that you have to have some understanding of the art first, before you can benefit from it. That is because, when you have a question, they can't be answered. It would not be good to practice a technique thinking you got it right, when you are missing a key ingredient to make it work properly. It might be cool to watch it and see if it's what you may want to do, but to try to learn it without a instructor to tell you what you are doing wrong, could be a disaster if you try to use it.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 11:48:58 AM EDT

Originally Posted By flashlegs:
From my experience with instructional videos, is that you have to have some understanding of the art first, before you can benefit from it. That is because, when you have a question, they can't be answered. It would not be good to practice a technique thinking you got it right, when you are missing a key ingredient to make it work properly. It might be cool to watch it and see if it's what you may want to do, but to try to learn it without a instructor to tell you what you are doing wrong, could be a disaster if you try to use it.

dead on, when you try videos and later try instruction in classes the instructor will just have to unfuck what you learned from the tape vs. what he teaches you. Videos should always be a supplement to training you already get, even then most instructors don't like you using other resources. And beleive it or not with most it is not about competition to what they teach, when most white belts start out they want all the knowledge instantly and if you open up the technique book to early they try to learn to much to fast. Learning to much leads to doing a who;e lot halfass or badly. Even the most seasoned fighter really relies on 3-6 techniques in most every situation, you learn the rest but in the end you stick with what works for you.
Top Top