Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 8/13/2001 4:25:12 PM EST
I dont want to use a dryrod because it will dry out my leather and wood. Where do I find a good deal on desicant? and a moisture indicator?
Link Posted: 8/13/2001 5:13:22 PM EST
I have used a thermal rod, it's just a little heater for years. no problem with wood or leather. What is does is keep the air moving over your guns through the vent hole. All dessicant does is attract and hold moisture in your safe. You need air exchange not trapping.
Link Posted: 8/13/2001 5:24:37 PM EST
Link Posted: 8/13/2001 6:33:49 PM EST
thanks guys
Link Posted: 8/13/2001 7:04:12 PM EST
Hobby stores such as Hobby Lobby sells desicant as flower drying crystals. This is the white stuff with little blue particles in it that turn pink when damp. 357mag
Link Posted: 8/14/2001 8:18:50 AM EST
If you're searching online, search for silica (dessicant won't pull up any products).
Link Posted: 8/14/2001 9:04:53 AM EST
www.imscompany.com & www.ppe.com Plastic injection molders use this stuff to dry plastic before molding. Look under their material handling/drying categories. If you use dessicant, make sure your safe is airtight or you will be regenerating (microwaving) this stuff often as it will absorb outside moisture. The stuff they have now is blue when dry and clear or yellow when wet.
Link Posted: 8/14/2001 1:43:57 PM EST
I have passed this on before. Dessicant cheap or free. Harley Davidson ships all their bikes in crates. Inside the crates the bikes are enclosed in a big plastic bag. Inside are big containers of dessicant. Go to your local HD dealer and inquire about getting some of these. You can dry em out in a oven and use em over and over. If you are a customer, you'll probably get em for nothing.
Top Top