Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/8/2001 6:40:48 PM EDT
I am looking for a “politically correct” 7.62x39mm rifle. Therefore I am considering the Ruger Mini Thirty.

Is the Ruger Mini Thirty a reliable rifle?
Where can I get a Ruger Mini Thirty for the lowest possible price?
Which aftermarket brand of 10, 20 & 30 round magazines should I buy and which brand should I avoid?
What price can I expect to pay for the 10, 20 & 30 round magazines?

Please respond in detail.
Thank you,
Regards,
FRIZ
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 6:42:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Good luck, I havent heard much good about them. Especialy trying to find mags that work.
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 6:48:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I am looking for a “politically correct” 7.62x39mm rifle. Therefore I am considering the Ruger Mini Thirty.

Is the Ruger Mini Thirty a reliable rifle?
Where can I get a Ruger Mini Thirty for the lowest possible price?
Which aftermarket brand of 10, 20 & 30 round magazines should I buy and which brand should I avoid?
What price can I expect to pay for the 10, 20 & 30 round magazines?

Please respond in detail.
Thank you,
Regards,
FRIZ
View Quote

In my opinion, for what you would spend, if PC is what you are after, buy a curio & relic SKS. It will most likely shoot tighter groups, be more reliable, and cost WAY LESS. Spend the extra money on ammo. Ruger makes some fine guns, but the Mini 14/Mini 30 is just too expensive for what it is.
Another option would be one of the Russian Saiga AK type rifles that have an AK action mounted to a standard hunting style stock & forend. PC looking enough, but throw in a 30 round mag that you can buy for under $10.00 and you have a quasi-AK that would then piss off any liberal on the block.
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 6:56:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 7:10:43 PM EDT
[#4]
I agree with the above posts. A Russian SKS would be a Curio and less likely to be banned than a Mini-30. Plus the SKS is the easiest gun to use stripper clips with.
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 7:38:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 7:43:07 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a mini30, since before I had an AR. Mine has been very reliable and yes it is PC. But the sights suck, a scope doesn't help much because the rifle is not a tack driver to begin with. Hi Cap mags that [i]function flawlessly 100% of the time[/i] are more rare than inexpensive M1A mags. That said, I would not sell mine. I replaced the iron sights with good after market ones (I prefer irons anyway) and finally managed to get a supply of good mags (2 are Thermolds that I have been offered over $100 apiece for). It does what I want it to which is put a medium power cartridge down rapidly and reliably with 2 moa accuracy at 100 yards with the open sights.

But if I were going to do it again I would get a SKS. Just as PC without the bayo lug and bayo, and more accurate. If you get a good one it will be as or more reliable than a mini30. Sometimes the mini30 will not fire a hard primer russian cartridge unless the hammer spring has been replaced (like mine). But then you are looking at premature wear of parts.
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 8:28:28 PM EDT
[#7]
what does a Mini 30 sell for anyway...say a pre ban model with regular stock and a couple mags (30 round)...just curious...thanks

medcop
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 9:30:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Friends don't let Friends buy Mini's

They look cool, but they are an innaccurate design.

There must be an inexpensive AK clone that fits your PC need.

The siaga plastic stock is crappy, but the wood one on the .308 model is sweet.
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 9:56:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 10:06:28 PM EDT
[#10]
I just want to say don't ignore the SKS.  I bought a Russian one with bayonet and fixed 20 round magazine.  I was very skeptical of stripper clips but found loading with them a breeze.  My SKS has been a very trouble free gun and best of all cheap and accurate.
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 10:38:24 PM EDT
[#11]
DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!!! I had feed problems with mine and just about everyone else I have talked to has had the same problem. Get a sks and if you have some cash to spend get a verp. My dad has one it looks like a normal rifle until you put a 30 rnd ak clip in. very cool pc gun
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 6:31:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Gentlemen:
Thank you for your advice.
I have already 3 AK’s in 7.62x39.
I need a real “politically correct” rifle and not a SKS.
Regards,
FRIZ
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 6:47:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Gentlemen:
Regards,
FRIZ
View Quote

FRIZ - Also check out one of the CZ bolt action 7.62x39 carbines. Just saw an ad today in Guns & Ammo magazine, a neat little "carbine" that's only 37 1/2 inches long with a detachable box mag. About as PC as you can get. BTW I love my SAR-1, lots of fun.
[url]http://www.cz-usa.com/pro/detail.php?P=34[/url]
edited to add link
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 6:50:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 7:01:24 PM EDT
[#15]
FRIZ, just ended up with one on a trade towards an AR. A few scuffs on wood, 1-5 round factory, 2-10 round junk, 2-30 round I haven't tried yet. Ranch rifle with 3-9x32 simmons scope, would sell for $450. Doesn't shoot much better than 3moa from what I have shot through it yet. If interested in buying or trading towards email me. Only time it didn't fire was a WOLF 122 HP that primer was bad.

Byron

Link Posted: 10/9/2001 7:04:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Gentlemen:
Regards,
FRIZ
View Quote

If you really want a more presentable (PC) self loading rifle in this caliber, find a Norinco Hunter.  It won't be that much more than a SKS.  It's essentially an AK with a "standard" stock with it's trigger group components altered to move the trigger back so that it can be easily reached in this "standard" configuration.  Because it is still an AK, you get all be benefits, but it looks much more PC.
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 7:07:15 PM EDT
[#17]
dont waste your money.  if you are trying to be politicaly correct , buy pepper spray. they are hard to get good mags for. get an ak , far superior to a mini 30
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top