Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 1/3/2006 9:37:38 AM EDT

I have a 40+ hour office job and I go to college at night so I have no time to go to the gym and I take very short lunches to get my hours in so lunch time walks are not an option either. I need to lose weight and was wondering what a realistic caloric intake would be. I was on a 600 cal. diet for a while and lost a lot of weight but I had time to exercise too. I found the 600 cal. liquid diet was a fast way to lose weight but not a great way to keep it off because I didn’t get use to eating regular food in smaller portions and gained most of the weight back.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Randy
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 9:39:38 AM EDT
One twinky and a coke. Then drink water for the rest of the day..
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 9:46:02 AM EDT
Good topic... I've wondered that myself.

I work a 40+ hour workweek and TRY to lift weights (home gym, in basement) 2-3 times a week. But I kinda fell off the "eat good" wagon and gained 5 lbs. since Thanksgiving. Good food will do that to you.

I try to eat sensible for breakfast (moderate-large size bowl of cereal w/skim milk and black coffee), a small lunch (one frozen Healthy Choice or equivalent entree and an apple) and typically, a decent size dinner (varies, but I try to be sensible about it as does my wife). It's been good enough to keep the status quo... but I need to include cardio (20-30 minutes on the exercise bike, which I don't do often enough anymore) or else I won't lose weight.

I try to keep my daily calories under 2000, and as a bigger guy I think I do OK. I'm not fat, just a little out of shape.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 9:52:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/3/2006 9:55:12 AM EDT by NoHarmNoFAL-01]

Originally Posted By Fat_McNasty:

Seriously? That is sweet!

Can I have two Twinkys if I have a Diet Coke?
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:52:54 PM EDT
bump
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:11:50 PM EDT
Meh... I eat twice a day as much as I can. I weigh 135 and I'm 6' tall. I don't excercise much at all.

Up until a year ago I worked for two years at a pizza place four days a week. I ate either a small or medium pizza damn near every day I worked. I gained maybe 10lbs in those two years, though, I grew a couple inches, so that's likely where it went.

Though, my resting heartrate blows ass and I have no stamina... so, it's a shitty tradeoff. I'm planning on starting to exorcise during lunch during my three month work terms, though, I just started back at work today, so it'll be a few days before I get settled in.

I don't believe it's about calories. I think it's about exorcise and metabolism. If I weren't naturally a skinny freak, I'd be a fat slob... except fat slobs are always hungry, and I'm generally too lazy to fix myself food until I'm starving, or I have a good oportunity to eat. Though, it's up to you. I try not to eat shitty food very often, but it hapens whenever I go to a restaurant. I drink maybe one soft drink every month... the rest of the time I drink water.

My kryptonite is TV. If I watch TV, I eat. I eat until I run out of food to eat... then I find shit that I normally wouldn't eat. One weekend I came home from school (where I'm always too lazy to eat), and I weighed 134. I watched TV and ate food until Monday morning, I took a shower, weighed myself again and I weighed 143!

Just don't eat lots of shitty food... but 600 calories is disgustingly low. That damn near scares me... like, anyone who's counting 600 calories of food in a day makes me think eating disorder!
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:14:15 PM EDT
Anybody got that thread about "intuitive eating"?
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:16:33 PM EDT

Originally Posted By NoHarmNoFAL-01:

Originally Posted By Fat_McNasty:

Seriously? That is sweet!

Can I have two Twinkys if I have a Diet Coke?

If that was seriously all you ate all day for a while I'm sure you would lose plenty of weight.

Althought you would become malnurished.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:26:35 PM EDT
What was your menu when you were down to 600 calories a day?

I have cut down to 1000 a day and have dropped from 260 to 215lbs. I do about 100ish situps a night and around the same number of pushups to try and get a little muscle too. My goal is 185 before my birthday (the second week of Febuary. I know, I'm crazy).
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:27:26 PM EDT

Originally Posted By MlTCHELL:
Meh... I eat twice a day as much as I can. I weigh 135 and I'm 6' tall. I don't excercise much at all.

Up until a year ago I worked for two years at a pizza place four days a week. I ate either a small or medium pizza damn near every day I worked. I gained maybe 10lbs in those two years, though, I grew a couple inches, so that's likely where it went.

Though, my resting heartrate blows ass and I have no stamina... so, it's a shitty tradeoff. I'm planning on starting to exorcise during lunch during my three month work terms, though, I just started back at work today, so it'll be a few days before I get settled in.

I don't believe it's about calories. I think it's about exorcise and metabolism. If I weren't naturally a skinny freak, I'd be a fat slob... except fat slobs are always hungry, and I'm generally too lazy to fix myself food until I'm starving, or I have a good oportunity to eat. Though, it's up to you. I try not to eat shitty food very often, but it hapens whenever I go to a restaurant. I drink maybe one soft drink every month... the rest of the time I drink water.

My kryptonite is TV. If I watch TV, I eat. I eat until I run out of food to eat... then I find shit that I normally wouldn't eat. One weekend I came home from school (where I'm always too lazy to eat), and I weighed 134. I watched TV and ate food until Monday morning, I took a shower, weighed myself again and I weighed 143!

Just don't eat lots of shitty food... but 600 calories is disgustingly low. That damn near scares me... like, anyone who's counting 600 calories of food in a day makes me think eating disorder!

Medically supervised through a weight loss clinic. I lost 130lb in 90 days and gained most of it back in 24 months. The joy of being me.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:28:27 PM EDT
The best thing you can do to lose weight is Drink lots of WATER. No coffee no Coca Cola. If you dont eat well make sure you supplement with a good daily Vitamin. And try to watch the amount of simple carbohydrates you intake. Dont take the elevator use the stairs. Drop down and do as many push ups as you can every hour. Can you spare 30sec to 1 min every hour to do some push ups? Just try to work as much into your everyday life as you can.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:33:00 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Gixxerpunk:

I have cut down to 1000 a day and have dropped from 260 to 215lbs. I do about 100ish situps a night and around the same number of pushups to try and get a little muscle too. My goal is 185 before my birthday (the second week of Febuary. I know, I'm crazy).

It was a medical liquid diet. It was really easy to do until you started eating real food again. While on the liquid I was never hungry and had to force myself to drink the shakes. Once I started eating real food again I was hungrier than ever. Every event, get together or occasion revolves around food and it is never anything that is good for you.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:35:57 PM EDT

It was a medical liquid diet. It was really easy to do until you started eating real food again. While on the liquid I was never hungry and had to force myself to drink the shakes. Once I started eating real food again I was hungrier than ever. Every event, get together or occasion revolves around food and it is never anything that is good for you.

I'm not to sure I could do a liquid diet, I like food way too much.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:37:50 PM EDT

I'm not to sure I could do a liquid diet, I like food way too much.

Easiest diet I have ever done. You actually don't miss the food that much at all.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:39:19 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:31:08 PM EDT

Originally Posted By JaredB:
The best thing you can do to lose weight is Drink lots of WATER. No coffee no Coca Cola. If you dont eat well make sure you supplement with a good daily Vitamin. And try to watch the amount of simple carbohydrates you intake. Dont take the elevator use the stairs. Drop down and do as many push ups as you can every hour. Can you spare 30sec to 1 min every hour to do some push ups? Just try to work as much into your everyday life as you can.

What about eating at Subway?
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:07:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/3/2006 8:08:41 PM EDT by testosteroneOD]
you have to get the word 'diet' out of your head....when you diet you change your eating habits for awhile, then eventually revert back to eating the same ways you were and you gain the weight back. Key thing is to get a sensible eating routine down and not starve yourself..you want to loose bodyfat, not muscle, and my starving youself you are more then likely loosing muscle.
Invest in some protein drinks and bars...try to eat atleast 6-7 small, balanced meals through the day (a protein drink or a high count protein bar will substitue for a meal)...try to get atleast 30 grams of protein with each meal..drink atleast 1 gallon of water a day....try to do atleast a 15 minute run in the mornings...
basically you have to change your eating and fitness lifestyle...no reason to be 'sedentary'....
you dont need to hit the gym everyday to exercise. doing some running or jogging first thing in the morning will do wonders...
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:19:51 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ChiefPilot:

Originally Posted By JaredB:

What about eating at Subway?

yup. i have lost 30lbs in the last 2 months doing this. damn straight. just get no cheese and light mayo and honey oat bread. it woks. oh yeah, i have to walk 3/4 mile each way. that probably helps too.
Top Top