Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/1/2006 2:46:02 PM EDT
There is a cabin in the woods that has electric and phone line but no broadband internet.

How can I put a couple security web cams up that update to the internet, say every 15 min or so. And have weather info update to a website?

The cabin is only occupied maybe 2 weeks out of the year, so the system needs to be automatic.

Can this be done?
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 2:48:14 PM EDT
[#1]
$
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 2:49:08 PM EDT
[#2]
I was looking into this a few years ago and found one that had a built in modem...let me see if I can find it again.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 2:50:35 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
There is a cabin in the woods that has electric and phone line but no broadband internet.

How can I put a couple security web cams up that update to the internet, say every 15 min or so. And have weather info update to a website?

The cabin is only occupied maybe 2 weeks out of the year, so the system needs to be automatic.

Can this be done?

We'll ship it with your snow chains.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 2:53:42 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't think this is the same one, but it has similar features:

http://www.3jtech.com/network_cameras.htm

http://www.kador.com/remote.htm

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 2:56:09 PM EDT
[#5]
I think this was the one I was looking at:

http://www.stardot-tech.com/netcam/index.html
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 3:06:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Bastiat, some of those are network cams that require a broadband connection.

but the CAMit II+ might work. It dials an ISP and send emails with pix.  Kinda sucky though, because you would have to pay a monthly fee for the ISP.

oh yea, lol at the chains joke

Thanks guys
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 3:08:22 PM EDT
[#7]
FYI, the last one has serial connections, so you can hook it up to an external modem that you can get for about $10 online.

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 3:14:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Perhaps set up a computer based DVR recording system for the security video on site, with the ability to call into that computer to access/download the video?
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 3:14:28 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
FYI, the last one has serial connections, so you can hook it up to an external modem that you can get for about $10 online.

then do modem to modem connection? that might work
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:04:01 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a DLINK DCS-900 at home for my 'weather' cam.   It comes with software which can do motion sensing.  Or you can get software which can snap a photo every x amount of minutes and save to a computer running at that location.  Then, have a modem and software where you can dial-in and view - download the photos.  You probably couldn't have the bandwidth to view the motion sensing video...

The way mine is setup, is I use Weather display software and it updates my web site with weather info every 15 minutes.  It also grabs a photo from the DCS900 every 10 minutes and compiles 4 photos into a gif.  That gif is uploaded to the website too...  I could have 10 photos compiled every 10 mins or whatever I want.  

The Weather-display software can use a modem and dial so that is a possibility...

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:06:42 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

then do modem to modem connection? that might work

especially ifyou had an old computer you could put linux on and set up a dial-in server.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 3:18:29 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I have a DLINK DCS-900 at home for my 'weather' cam.   It comes with software which can do motion sensing.  Or you can get software which can snap a photo every x amount of minutes and save to a computer running at that location.  Then, have a modem and software where you can dial-in and view - download the photos.  You probably couldn't have the bandwidth to view the motion sensing video...

The way mine is setup, is I use Weather display software and it updates my web site with weather info every 15 minutes.  It also grabs a photo from the DCS900 every 10 minutes and compiles 4 photos into a gif.  That gif is uploaded to the website too...  I could have 10 photos compiled every 10 mins or whatever I want.  

The Weather-display software can use a modem and dial so that is a possibility...

that looks cool...hmm. I wonder if it wourks over a modem.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 3:30:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Several cell companies offer data service over their network. As far as I know Cingular's broadband plan should work just about anywhere and is $80/m for unlimited access. It uses PCMCIA cards that will work in a laptop or in a PC with a PCI to PCMCIA adapter.

-Foxxz
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 3:49:34 PM EDT
[#14]
i screw with this stuff all the time. have dial, 2 flavors of DSL, Verizon broadband/1xrtt. if you get a wireless solution.. witch the TOS  (terms of service). Verizon specifically forbids use of their wireless stuff for streaming video of any kind...

but aniways.. here a fairly fault tolerant solution:

have a PC, get a video card that accepts s-video, normal video. cards cost about 50 bucks. for more interesting things you can get boards that have multiple inputs..

search the net for various cameras. the list is endless. see in the dark. IR, color, zoom lenses, pan tilt on and on..

get a box that you can plug a phone line into that will reset up to 4 electrical sockets. get 2 phone lines (second is for the internet connection). plug the first line into the reboot box. plug all of your other stuff into the remaining sockets. this allows you to reboot, restart any of the devices over a standard POTS line. a must if you aren't gonna be there much.

so.. plug your camera's into the board. boot the pc up. get some software that allows you to stream video/audio. the list is endless and much is free. i use remote-view/watcher some. it allows me to broadcast video via a web browser and/or a speialized app that has a client. i put a password on both. i also run netmeeting and terminal server on the pcs. so i can go to the desktop of the pc remotely and control it. so i have pc set to boot up and connect to internet on power reset. worse case scenario i can dial the reboot box and power cycle anything in the remote location.

from this point on it gets more and more interesting. multiple cameras. i have a camera that has 6 position settings i pans, zooms to 6 preset locations with 10 second pasues. I dog robbed this camera from work but it cost 1000.00 retial. a sony ev-100 or similar. i also have an ultra low light pinhole camera and a stand web usb eyeball.

some software that i have acutally will detect motion, start capture, send remotely and email me all at the same time. put this in a room, someone enters, it starts capture and sends email to your phone. if you hide the pc and use a pinhole camera they never know...

then you get into very expensive dome cameras, super zooms, IR zooms...

my lap has the verizon wireless connection. i can be in my car and connect to remote locations and switch cameras and watch from my car or in a hotel room or whatever. next start looking at 2.6 gig outdoor remote wireless cameras that you can stash in the woods across from a suspects location..... broadcast to a remote PC a quarter mile away....

on and on and on..
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 4:13:24 PM EDT
[#15]
st0newall, that sounds cool as hell.  thanks
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top