Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/15/2002 5:56:51 PM EDT
While looking around on Monster.com, I saw a few jobs that require the candidate to already have a security clearance.  Is there any way for me to obtain a clearance on my own?  Is there any organization which is authorized to perform these investigations?

Thanks,
Chimborazo
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 6:01:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Having or having previously had a security clearance is a good indication that you would be likely to qualify for a new one.

The reason they ask for it is to discourage people who know or believe they would not qualify for a clearance.
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 6:03:01 PM EDT
[#2]
I work for a communications company that does alot of work on military bases. They were talking about getting us Security clearance badges so we wouldn't have to be working around armed guards in some buildings. I over heard it would cost the company about 10 grand per badge for someone to investigate one employee.

Just what I heard.. but I don't know.

my $.02
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 6:05:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Submitted mine 8 months ago. I guess there has been a run on them since the "event". Official status is "pending"...
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 6:08:34 PM EDT
[#4]
I was told by one of the investigators who worked on my background check that my clearance would cost around $30K. And that's in 1985 dollars.

To answer your question, Chimborazo: No, you can't really get one done unless it's sponsored by your employer and that employer has a good reason to justify it.
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 6:10:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Damn.  Thanks anyway everybody.

-C
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top