Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/9/2001 7:48:37 PM EDT
[blue]I'am looking to make a secret room with a hidden entrance in my house, nothing big. I mainly just want to hide a large safe. Right now I don't even know where in the house I would make it, but I want some info first.

Anyone know of any source of information on construction/plans or tips. So far I have not had much luck.[/blue]
Link Posted: 9/9/2001 7:56:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Just make sure it's a fireproof room, just in case you are vistited at O-dark30 by the men in black.
[pyro]
Link Posted: 9/9/2001 7:57:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/9/2001 8:00:45 PM EDT
[#3]
The idea of a secret room is great, but it is not really necessary if you have a safe.
Link Posted: 9/9/2001 8:29:12 PM EDT
[#4]
then you will be like batman
Link Posted: 9/9/2001 8:35:58 PM EDT
[#5]
A gun safe is good, but a secret room can hold even more. And if a crook gets and a sees your gun safe, he now knows you have guns.

Where you put it depends entirely upon the layout of your house. Just don't put it where it doesn't mesh with the layout of your house - like if someone was walking around and thinks "hmm, this room doesn't quite match up with the room next to it - I wonder what's in here"

So please, post a floor plan of your house, with a list of the guns you want to store in it. We'll be glad to help you [;)]
Link Posted: 9/9/2001 8:37:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Check out Tauton Press on the web or Fine Home Building mag.  They have done articles on this and there should be some info available.  Also try Armorcor.  They make bulletproof and other fun products.  
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 5:18:08 AM EDT
[#7]
I had a buddy build me a room behind some bookcases. It setup so that when you pull on one book a latch disconnects and the bookcase swings back.

The bookcase is set on a large spring type system, kind of like the doors that swing shut after you open them.

I use it for my computer/gun room.
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 5:43:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Seeing that you live in the north, I would suppose you have a basement. If you do, thats where I'd look to build it. Dig out into your back yard or under the stoop out front would be my considerations. I got that idea from my in-laws house in Brooklyn. They have an area under their front porch/steps that would be perfect for a gun safe and storage of things that need to be kept cool and dry like wines.
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 5:49:14 AM EDT
[#9]
I gess you could pick a room and move out a wall and use the space for the room.

That way the guy next door will not ask you what you are up to.
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 8:04:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I had a buddy build me a room behind some bookcases. It setup so that when you pull on one book a latch disconnects and the bookcase swings back.

The bookcase is set on a large spring type system, kind of like the doors that swing shut after you open them.

I use it for my computer/gun room.
View Quote

Now thats what I'am lookin for....kinda like the Winchester house!
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 11:05:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Those in law enforcement are of the opinion that if you are trying to hide something, you must be doing something illegal.
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 11:10:30 AM EDT
[#12]
My last house had somthing like that.
in the basement there was a 4 foot by 4 foot metal locking door in the foundation, we contacted the previous owner, and got the combination to the door.
Turns out he cut a hole in the foundation and then built another room using cinderblocks next to the house and then covered it with soil and grass
it wasn't built legally, so when we sold the house, we removed the metal door and cemented the hole closed
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 11:16:49 AM EDT
[#13]
what you should do, is use a room you already have. bar the windows nice and good.
secure thick sheet metal to the walls.
reenforce the door frame and buy one of those Safe doors that are meant to be mounted in a normal sized doorframe.

Another idea is purchase a 40 foot shipping container, you can get em for really cheap if they are slightly damaged. Paint it with a thick marine paint. Seal the side doors. Cut a hole in the top and make a hatch, sort of like a submarine. wire the Thing with electricity and burry it in your back yard, and hide the locking hatch which sticks outta the ground behind some shrubs.
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 11:17:44 AM EDT
[#14]
btt
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 11:28:07 AM EDT
[#15]
[url]http://www.hiddensafes.com/[/url]
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 11:29:40 AM EDT
[#16]
I fucking hate it when ninjas break into my house and steal everything

[img]http://www.hiddensafes.com/images/no_theif.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 11:58:48 AM EDT
[#17]
[url]http://www.hiddensafes.com/doityourself_2.htm[/url]

$200 for a melamine cabinet covered by a sheet? Man, I have to get in on this scam!
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 12:03:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I fucking hate it when ninjas break into my house and steal everything
View Quote

I think he's a ninja in training since he got caught on tape.

Next week on FOX: When Ninjas Attack!
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 12:32:25 PM EDT
[#19]
I need a new tinfoil hat!
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 1:08:09 PM EDT
[#20]
If, no when, I build another house I am going to have a vault built from inside the basement under the floor in the garrage.  If I do this right, I think I should be able to have considerable thickness to all walls and the ceiling of the vault.  Now, slide the safe inside the vault and even if some dumb ass criminal was lucky enough to break into the vault they still won't get the best stuff....

Oh yea, when you do it, add a security system!  It's cheap and if all you do is alarm the gun room you can set up with a siren that will wake the dead.  I know when I set my alarm off it made me nautious from the noise and I knew it was going to go off!
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 1:48:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Maybe I should have opened the thread as "False walls". I'am not lookin to build a super structured vault with steel walls.

All I basically am looking to do is make a small room, just enough to fit my safe with a little extra room for a few thousand rounds of ammo. The most important thing is to make the room look like it isn't there(part of the house) and more importantly is hiding the entrance.

I just do not want to give anyone a chance of opening my safe. Yes the average joe burglar won't be able to but..........if someone really wants to get in and has the knowledge they are going to get in!!  So why even leave your safe exposed. I'd rather hide it.
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 3:05:53 PM EDT
[#22]
What about adding an area in the dead space beneath a staircase? Lots of room for guns and ammo, and it's all wasted space anyway.

Quoted:
Maybe I should have opened the thread as "False walls". I'm not looking to build a super structured vault with steel walls.

All I basically am looking to do is make a small room, just enough to fit my safe with a little extra room for a few thousand rounds of ammo. The most important thing is to make the room look like it isn't there(part of the house) and more importantly is hiding the entrance.

I just do not want to give anyone a chance of opening my safe. Yes the average joe burglar won't be able to but..........if someone really wants to get in and has the knowledge they are going to get in!!  So why even leave your safe exposed. I'd rather hide it.
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 3:21:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 5:38:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Those in law enforcement are of the opinion that if you are trying to hide something, you must be doing something illegal.
View Quote

PLEASE DON'T STEREOTYPE / NOT ALL LEO'S ARE THAT WAY.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top