Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/15/2002 9:10:53 AM EDT
The Canadian Skating couple are being awarded a second gold medal.  

I just heard this on a special news report....they cut into Judge Joe Brown to tell the world this!  I thought something bad had occured and they were making a special news report to tell us some bomb went off or something....nope, just a second gold medal.

medcop
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 9:14:08 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm glad the Canadians are getting a Gold Medal. I watched the event and felt they  skated their program perfectly.
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 9:17:32 AM EDT
[#2]
There should only be one gold medal handed out.  The Russians should honorably give back their gold medals cause they know they weren't the best team on the ice that night.
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 9:22:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Makes it pretty difficult to find any meaning whatsoever in any of the results now.  We know they're rigged.
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 9:26:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Is this another Don King production?
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 9:27:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 9:28:45 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm glad that the Canadians are going to get a second gold.  I don't know the difference between a toe-loop and Lutz, but they look pretty good to me.
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 9:30:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 9:32:49 AM EDT
[#8]
If the IOC cares about reality, they ought to just throw out the marks from the stupid French judge and redistribute the medals based on the resulting total scores.

Two gold medals in one event? What the hell is that?
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 9:41:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Why don't we just give [i]everybody[/i] a medal. That way it would be nice and [i]fair[/i], just like the [b]Special Olympics[/b].
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 9:45:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If the IOC cares about reality, they ought to just throw out the marks from the stupid French judge and redistribute the medals based on the resulting total scores.

View Quote

If you throw out the marks from the French judge, the Russian and Canadian pairs were tied.  That might be the logic for two gold medals.   Two of the same medals have been awarded in other events where the competitors were tied.  In fact it happened in one of the cross-country skiing events in this Olympics.  They have an odd number of judges in figure skating to prevent that from happening, but...
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 9:59:18 AM EDT
[#11]
the facts:

both the canadians and russians now have gold metals.

they fired the french judge (f*ck yeah!!)

jamie sale is hot
-------------------------

as has been put on many posters before:
canadian chicks kick ass!

this message has brought to you by ian inc.

OffRoad
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 10:31:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I don't know why anyone even pays attention to the Olympics any more.  They are as corrupt as the various "charities"--Red Cross, United Way, etc.  [rolleyes]
View Quote

The Olympics, NCAA, Red Cross, United Way and the Mafia are all organizations.

However, of the five listed, I would only trust the Mafia !

[X]
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 10:43:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
jamie sale is hot
-------------------------
View Quote

OH YEAH! [sex]
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 10:58:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

What you fail to understand here is that taking the gold from the russians would destroy their little self esteamies! Kinda like how in govt (read public)operated schools now, we don't give out letter grades, we can't harm the self-esteam of the morons who can't do the work. Another demonstration of injustice. The russians should be STRIPPED of the medal, and it should go to the Canadian team with an APOLOGY! What a wonderful example of "fair-play" for "the children". Just another perversion .....
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 10:55:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 11:02:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

If you throw out the marks from the French judge, the Russian and Canadian pairs were tied.  That might be the logic for two gold medals.   Two of the same medals have been awarded in other events where the competitors were tied.  In fact it happened in one of the cross-country skiing events in this Olympics.  They have an odd number of judges in figure skating to prevent that from happening, but...
View Quote

There are substitute judges watching the event, if they had done this right, the frenchie would have been disqualified for corruption, and the sub vote counted instead. See my post above about the two golds.....
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 11:03:02 AM EDT
[#17]
So, will the Canadians also get to keep the Silver medal they were given?  

medcop
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 11:05:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 11:09:01 AM EDT
[#19]
good question medcop.

how des the silver and bronze work? how are they going to be passed out?

will canada be the first country to win a silver and gold in the same competition, with the same 2 people at the same time in one try???

double cool!

OffRoad
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 11:17:05 AM EDT
[#20]
Hell, with the exchange rate in Canada right now, as soon as they cross the border that gold medal will only be worth the price of the silver one. LOL. Seriously, I'm glad to see them get it.
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 11:21:20 AM EDT
[#21]
I'm happy for my Canuck friends.

My problem is with this Liberal bedwetter attitude of NOT having the cahones to strip the SECOND PLACE team of their gold medal.

In life, ONLY ONE person / team can be number 1. Eveerybody else is whatever coems after # 1.

Its like these little leagues where "we don't keep score  - everybody is a winner." [puke]

Link Posted: 2/15/2002 11:22:44 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
This is why I don't believe ice skating is a valid olympic "sport."  It doesn't matter how FAST you are.  It doesn't matter how STRONG you are.  It's all based on subjective judging.  Only on the opinions of judges.
View Quote

So you think we should get rid of Boxing, too?  I mean, if you don't win by KO, it comes down to judges.  (Look at 1988, btw, where the American boxer beat the crap out of the Korean, but the Korean still won...)

You'd also have to ditch Diving and Gymnastics, which by their very nature require subjective, rather than objective scoring.

I feel the same way about ski jumping.  Ski jumping should be about how far you jump, and if you make the landing correctly.  I believe (and I could be wrong on this) that they now award "style points" to ski jumping?  WTF is that?  I guess that in the next summer olympics, they'll award style points to the long jump?  Maybe the pole vault?  Bah.  I haven't been a big fan of the winter olympics anyway (except maybe for the hockey).
View Quote

This I agree with you on.  "Well, he went five meters further, but the other guy LOOKED COOLER doing it, so he'll get the gold."

For the same reason, "Moguls" bugs the hell out of me... these people ski down a hill over these bumps.. takes alot of agility and stimina to do that, and it's a timed sport--great!

But then they have these two jumps, so you can spin around in a circle or whatever, and get judged on it.  And now all of a sudden, whoever's fastest doesn't win... you've got "time points" now.  WTF?

Give me purity of sport, where whoever is stronger, faster, or more skillful will win and save judging for those sports that don't have any other quantifiable metric.
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 11:25:15 AM EDT
[#23]
WTF! You guys actually care about ice-skating?  I knew it all along: underneath the tough exterior, you are all sensitive, warm, fuzzy wusses!

Sorry, gotta get back to watching curling.  My kinda sport - You don't need no stinking strength, stamina, speed, power, or height.  EVERYONE CAN BE AN OLYMPIC GOLD MEDALIST!  It's a great "sport" or what?
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 11:27:48 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
This is why I don't believe ice skating is a valid olympic "sport."  It doesn't matter how FAST you are.  It doesn't matter how STRONG you are.  It's all based on subjective judging.  Only on the opinions of judges.  I feel the same way about ski jumping.  Ski jumping should be about how far you jump, and if you make the landing correctly.  I believe (and I could be wrong on this) that they now award "style points" to ski jumping?  WTF is that?  I guess that in the next summer olympics, they'll award style points to the long jump?  Maybe the pole vault?  Bah.  I haven't been a big fan of the winter olympics anyway (except maybe for the hockey).

-Gloftoe
View Quote

I agree!  To me the best style is the one that gets you the furthest.  Distance should be the only criteria that the ski jump is judged on.  Sports are activities where there are rules that determine how someone wins, for example points scored, goals scored, distance traveled, time elapsed, etc.  In figure skating you can't keep track at home how someone is doing during their competition.  It's too subjective.

I think the reason they awarded the Canadians a gold is to smotth over public opinion so that we all forget about it.  Now there is no controversy.  After these games are over, they can go back to status quo, avoiding the massive overhauls of the Olympics that are needed to get rid of the corruption.  How many of us are going to remember this event in 4 years.  We would be more likely to remember it if the Canadians had really been burned and never gotten a gold.  This French faggot is going to get a slap on the wrist and sent home while the corruption continues until the next big, unmistakeable screw-up occurs.

Link Posted: 2/15/2002 11:30:13 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Give me purity of sport, where whoever is stronger, faster, or more skillful will win and save judging for those sports that don't have any other quantifiable metric.
View Quote

yeah baby!!!!!!!

Dueling with pistols at 10 paces - the next Olympic sport.

With a VERY clearcut winner. [}:D]

Link Posted: 2/15/2002 11:32:49 AM EDT
[#26]
2 gold medals in one event...that shows that it is not a sport.  I'll stick to curling, thank you very much.
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 11:33:04 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
WTF! You guys actually care about ice-skating?  I knew it all along: underneath the tough exterior, you are all sensitive, warm, fuzzy wusses!

?
View Quote

Nah, man - our wives make us watch it. Seriously.

Except for the ones where the chicks skate.

[:D]

Link Posted: 2/15/2002 12:04:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 12:11:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 12:15:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
yeah baby!!!!!!!

Dueling with pistols at 10 paces - the next Olympic sport.

With a VERY clearcut winner. [}:D]
View Quote

On a more serious note, I WOULD like to see IDPA/IPSC type shooting in the summer games... or at least something a little more exciting than smallbore / airgun.

How about we get the guys from Accurate Reloading to sponsor an olympic shooting event centered around the .577 T-Rex... whoever sustains the least amount of bone and muscle damage takes the gold... [:D]
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 1:47:58 PM EDT
[#31]
I am glad the Canadians got the medal they deserved, but there will always be an * on the results in this competition.  Even if the judges voted their conscience that night, there will always be a taint.  

I watched the reaction on the faces of the Russians when the Canadians finished their routine.  I think deep down, the Russians felt the Canadians were better that day.  I am not big on ice skating (except hockey), but having watched both routines several times, I feel the Canadians skated better.  

Yes, Jamie Sale is a total hottie.  [:P]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top