Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/10/2005 2:53:33 PM EDT

Yeah, I've spent enough time there to know what Seattle is like but even this is a bit over the edge...  Now SFO or Berkeley on the other hand...

seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2002430845_garrett10m.html

Challenger argues for place on ballot

By Jim Brunner
Seattle Times staff reporter

James C. Garrett, a fringe candidate for mayor of Seattle, argued at an administrative hearing yesterday that his name should appear on the primary-election ballot despite a felony conviction for assaulting then-Mayor Paul Schell with a bullhorn four years ago.

At yesterday's hearing, Garrett, 59, offered a rambling challenge to the authority of the U.S. government and said he suffered from "post-traumatic slavery syndrome."

Garrett said he was still challenging the validity of his felony conviction in federal court and claimed he never received notice that he could not register to vote again after being released from prison.

Garrett, also known as Omari-Tahir Garrett, was sentenced in 2002 to 21 months in prison for the assault on Schell. As a convicted felon, his voting rights were revoked.

King County elections officials allowed him to register to vote again last year and accepted his mayoral candidacy on June 29 despite records indicating his voting rights had never legally been restored.

Felons who serve their time and pay all outstanding court fees can petition a judge for restoration of their rights.

King County prosecutors filed a challenge to Garrett's registration last week after questions were raised about his legal status. Under state law, candidates for public office must be legally registered voters.

The hearing was presided over by Dean Logan, director of the county elections office. Logan said he will issue a written ruling within a few days on Garrett's status as a voter. If Garrett's registration is revoked, county officials would move to have his name deleted from the ballot.

Garrett was one of seven little-known challengers who filed last month to run against Mayor Greg Nickels, who is seeking a second term.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:54:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Spare us, already.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:56:13 PM EDT
[#2]
How about inflicting post-traumatic boot-to-the-ass syndrome
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:56:23 PM EDT
[#3]
King County is a liberal shithole.  If King, Pierce, and Snohomish counties, with all their hippies, liberal soccer moms, and assorted freaks would sink into Puget Sound, Washington would be a much better place to live.

Former Kitsap County resident speaking here.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:59:48 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
King County is a liberal shithole.  If King, Pierce, and Snohomish counties, with all their hippies, liberal soccer moms, and assorted freaks would sink into Puget Sound, Washington would be a much better place to live.

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:01:50 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
flymeaway.net/images/blink.gif

Yeah, I've spent enough time there to know what Seattle is like but even this is a bit over the edge...  Now SFO or Berkeley on the other hand...

seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2002430845_garrett10m.html

Challenger argues for place on ballot

By Jim Brunner
Seattle Times staff reporter

James C. Garrett, a fringe candidate for mayor of Seattle, argued at an administrative hearing yesterday that his name should appear on the primary-election ballot despite a felony conviction for assaulting then-Mayor Paul Schell with a bullhorn four years ago.

At yesterday's hearing, Garrett, 59, offered a rambling challenge to the authority of the U.S. government and said he suffered from "post-traumatic slavery syndrome."

Garrett said he was still challenging the validity of his felony conviction in federal court and claimed he never received notice that he could not register to vote again after being released from prison.

Garrett, also known as Omari-Tahir Garrett, was sentenced in 2002 to 21 months in prison for the assault on Schell. As a convicted felon, his voting rights were revoked.

King County elections officials allowed him to register to vote again last year and accepted his mayoral candidacy on June 29 despite records indicating his voting rights had never legally been restored.

Felons who serve their time and pay all outstanding court fees can petition a judge for restoration of their rights.

King County prosecutors filed a challenge to Garrett's registration last week after questions were raised about his legal status. Under state law, candidates for public office must be legally registered voters.

The hearing was presided over by Dean Logan, director of the county elections office. Logan said he will issue a written ruling within a few days on Garrett's status as a voter. If Garrett's registration is revoked, county officials would move to have his name deleted from the ballot.

Garrett was one of seven little-known challengers who filed last month to run against Mayor Greg Nickels, who is seeking a second term.

And in other news, Clinton did not, in fact, have sexual relations with that woman. And now to Bob for the weather. Bob?
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:03:08 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Got something to say?
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:05:57 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

+1000

Dont forget about Gregwhore

Washington is a beautiful state, but the politics suck major ass.  Seattle has one of the worst school systems in the country.  I would live in Port Angeles again, or east of the mountians, but I will never live in Seattle again.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:12:16 PM EDT
[#8]
"Post traumatic slavery syndrome."...............

"Duh bruthuhas be kommin up wit new shit ahul duh thaime ta maike duh whaight man be payin up fo dat shit."

I have "Post traumatic machinegun syndrome."  

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:18:23 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1000

Dont forget about Gregwhore

Washington is a beautiful state, but the politics suck major ass.  Seattle has one of the worst school systems in the country.  I would live in Port Angeles again, or east of the mountians, but I will never live in Seattle again.

As much as I like the Kitsap and Olympic Peninsulas, I like it east of the Cascades even better.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:20:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Don't you actually have to experience something in order to suffer any symptoms related to it?
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:22:14 PM EDT
[#11]
A bunch of us need to move before you guys detonate the nukes....
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 4:44:41 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
A bunch of us need to move before you guys detonate the nukes....

How much time would it take for you to pack up all your stuff and leave? I gotta know when to set the launch sequence for.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 4:57:49 PM EDT
[#13]
fo' shizzle...

I have "post traumatic slavery syndrome" too...Some of my white ancestors were kidnapped from Western Europe by African slavers and Barbary Pirates and were then sold as white slaves to the Africans and to the Libyans at Tripoli ... and by Gawd I demand my reparations from them!

(wantinginonehandandpizzingintheother)pony
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 6:21:50 PM EDT
[#14]

"post-traumatic slavery syndrome."

Must be one old SOB to have been born in the 1850's, experience slavery, and live until well into the next century!

After awhile, it gets old.

wganz

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 6:24:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 6:30:40 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Hmmmmm...maybe he was one of the illegal voters who voted to the WA's Democratic Governor
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:20:56 PM EDT
[#17]

So? It's not like Ron Sims actually gives a care who actually votes in Washington or not. His nephew is registered to vote in Washington State using Ron Sims' house, but lives in New York.

King County can FOAD.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top