Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/18/2009 11:29:13 AM EDT
I just saw this reported on King 5 TV news. I suppos that city hall has recieved some unreported support by a liberal Democrat governor and a Democrat controled state legislature on this issue.

Since it is city hall that is breaking the law, I am wondering how to defy city hall. WA state is open carry, maybe we can have a rally in favor of gun rights in a city park?
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:52:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Where did they ban guns?
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:54:24 AM EDT
[#2]
To Arms
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:56:54 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Where did they ban guns?

I'm gonna go ahead and guess Seattle, Washington.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:59:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Where did they ban guns?

Link? Specifics?
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:00:24 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Where did they ban guns?

Link? Specifics?

I already answered one question, wasn't that enough?!
It's not my thread... lol

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:01:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Where did they ban guns?

Link? Specifics?

I saw it on tv news. The city banned guns from city parks and city property.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:03:19 PM EDT
[#7]
SEATTLE - Mayor Greg Nickels has proposed a rule to ban firearms in Parks and Recreation facilities intended for youth, including playgrounds, sports fields and community learning centers.

http://www.king5.com/topstories/stories/NW_091809WAB-nickels-park-gun-rules-KS.19183734f.html
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:06:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Apparently Mayor Greg Nickels has too much time only his hands. He is supposed to be solving city problems, yet he is taking valuable time to do something about nothing.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:09:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Lets have fun with it boys...

http://www.seattle.gov/firearmsrule/
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:12:13 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Apparently Mayor Greg Nickels has too much time only his hands. He is supposed to be solving city problems, yet he is taking valuable time to do something about nothing.

That's all he does...

He spends city time and money crusading about national or international issues...

Meanwhile, Seattle has a crime & bum problem, the streets are a mess, traffic is horrible (intentionally - according to His Mayorness, car driving is bad)....

Doesn't phase him a bit...

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:13:16 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Where did they ban guns?

Only city property though (which is still illegal as hell for them to do so, as the State AG told them the last time they brought it up)...

'Little Nicky' will lose this one in the end...

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:17:12 PM EDT
[#12]
This is pointless and probably illegal. The thing is, this is PUBLIC property, not private property. Do you really think that having a rule against carrying a firearm in these places would have prevented the shooting? As if the shooter would have saw the sign and thought to himself, "Well shucks, I can't bring my gun in here...". Pathetic on behalf of the city.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:22:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

sent
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:22:49 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

SEATTLE - Mayor Greg Nickels has proposed a rule to ban firearms in Parks and Recreation facilities intended for youth, including playgrounds, sports fields and community learning centers.

http://www.king5.com/topstories/stories/NW_091809WAB-nickels-park-gun-rules-KS.19183734f.html
I'm gonna guess "FOR THE CHILDREN!!"

Jeeze, can they not at least be original in their insanity!

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:24:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:26:35 PM EDT
[#16]
The state AG has already told mayor nickles to not do that.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:35:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Nothing a huge class action lawsuit can't fix.  If the Mayor, city council, and the city itself gets bankrupted (or least has to shell out a PILE of money), they might just learn their lesson.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:45:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Thanks.

I'm so glad that city owned parks and buildings will now be safe, since the gun toting criminals and rapists can't carry their firearms anymore. Thanks for making us all safer. I no longer feel the need to defend myself in these places, since gun crime is now illegal. Good job, folks. You all get a gold star for this one..... Since the state said you couldn't do this to begin with, and I find it to be an unconstitutional slap in my law-abiding face, I don't think I'll be paying any attention to this rule. That is, unless the city is going to guarantee my safety in these places. I thought not.....
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 1:04:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

hit
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 1:15:18 PM EDT
[#20]
In before someone mentions California, then someone calls that guy a faggot, then the shitstorm after that, etc etc.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 1:17:42 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm in the car on my way to seattle right now maybe I should take a few minutes to go down to the space needle park and rock out with my glock out open carrying ftmfw.

T

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 1:18:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Is Seattle one of those "sanctuary" cities?

Odd that they would be doing this while Chicago is in the midst of a Supreme Court case that will make this moot (if Heller doesn't already)...and I believe it's scheduled for Sept. 24 or so, with a decision later.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 1:20:03 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

No, its not.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 1:24:42 PM EDT
[#24]
This is disappointing....I've always liked Seattle.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 1:25:20 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

In before someone mentions California, then someone calls that guy a faggot, then the shitstorm after that, etc etc.

San Francisco has done this, twice. Both times it was shot down by the courts, which they knew was going to happen,but only after spending 10's of millions of dollars to promote and pass and try to retain its legality.

Now the city is in a dire financial state and could sure use those 10's of millions of dollars to pay bills and run the city.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 1:27:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Why isn't he in jail?  Oh yeah the law only works one way.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 1:28:02 PM EDT
[#27]
I propose all the WA ARFcommers meet me in City Hall Park at noon on Sunday.  Open carry your favorite piece.

It'll probably be the least dangerous that park has been in the last couple of decades.

What do you guys think, should we barbecue?
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 1:29:15 PM EDT
[#28]
What's stupid is that the "incident" at the folk fesitval that he uses as the reason was not a deliberate shooting.  As far as I've heard someone saw the guy's pistol and started and argument, what I do know is that somehow the guy with the pistol hit the other guy with it and the gun fired and that one round wounded three people (arms/legs), all non critical.

Stupid scuffle on his part, stupider law.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 1:29:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
San Francisco has done this, twice. Both times it was shot down by the courts, which they knew was going to happen,but only after spending 10's of millions of dollars to promote and pass and try to retain its legality.
Now the city is in a dire financial state and could sure use those 10's of millions of dollars to pay bills and run the city.

That's a great point, I'd like to think that some of the libtards running that  sh*thole realize it but I'm somewhat doubtful.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 1:30:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I propose all the WA ARFcommers meet me in City Hall Park at noon on Sunday.  Open carry your favorite piece.

It'll probably be the least dangerous that park has been in the last couple of decades.

This sounds like a good idea!
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 1:31:58 PM EDT
[#31]

I just left a sternly worded message. It will make their liberal big city panties curl! Take that, you latte-sipping, shitty-baseball-team-having, cloudy-day-loving tree-hugging motherfuckers!

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 1:42:38 PM EDT
[#32]
Alright, I can bring a Weber grill and my smoker.  If somebody can supply charcoal (I'm broke), everybody can bring their own stuff to put on the grill.

EDIT: If anybody's actually interested, please post in this thread so I start getting an idea of headcount (I linked from the WA HTF too).  If we don't get enough people to form a decent crowd, this won't really fly...
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 1:51:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 1:56:18 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's all he does...

He spends city time and money crusading about national or international issues...

Meanwhile, Seattle has a crime & bum problem, the streets are a mess, traffic is horrible (intentionally - according to His Mayorness, car driving is bad)....

Doesn't phase him a bit...

...because he's out of a job soon (January), anyways. He came in third in his own party's primary election for mayor. I'd venture he's polishing his resume' in hopes of an Obama czar position.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 2:05:32 PM EDT
[#35]
I doubt he'll go anywhere politically.  He is pretty universally regarded as an incompetent stupidfucker.

It's nice to know he is wasting tax payer money trying to pass an illegal and unconstitutional bill though.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 2:05:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

not goint to work this weekend, quarterly "big time" get together is already planned for this weekend...but I'm game...wouldn't be the first time I've open carried on "prohibited" property
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 2:10:44 PM EDT
[#37]

My comment:

What is a free society to do when their government scoffs at the rule of law. Can the people still be bound by law if their government is not? Should people allow corrupt public officials to continue in their positions if they defy the will of the people? What are we to do? Ask yourself how do you suppose people will rid themselves of corrupt politicians that refuse to follow the rule of law. The state of Washington, through the will of the people preempted this law. It is illegal.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 2:11:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Denver did the same thing. It went all the way up to the SCOTUS and Denver won. Fortunately the Denver AWB was so widely ignored that they rarely enforce it anymore, and have actually changed it to basically ban posession of any mag over 20 rounds instead of the firearm. This is also widely ignored. You still cannot buy an AR, M1A, etc in Denver though.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 2:17:37 PM EDT
[#39]

But I linked to this thread at the bottom of that one...  

We've created a temporal thread loop!  
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 2:18:22 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Denver did the same thing. It went all the way up to the SCOTUS and Denver won. Fortunately the Denver AWB was so widely ignored that they rarely enforce it anymore, and have actually changed it to basically ban posession of any mag over 20 rounds instead of the firearm. This is also widely ignored. You still cannot buy an AR, M1A, etc in Denver though.

The difference is that WA has this:

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41.290

RCW 9.41.290

State preemption.

The state of Washington hereby fully occupies and preempts the entire field of firearms regulation within the boundaries of the state, including the registration, licensing, possession, purchase, sale, acquisition, transfer, discharge, and transportation of firearms, or any other element relating to firearms or parts thereof, including ammunition and reloader components. Cities, towns, and counties or other municipalities may enact only those laws and ordinances relating to firearms that are specifically authorized by state law, as in RCW 9.41.300, and are consistent with this chapter. Such local ordinances shall have the same penalty as provided for by state law. Local laws and ordinances that are inconsistent with, more restrictive than, or exceed the requirements of state law shall not be enacted and are preempted and repealed, regardless of the nature of the code, charter, or home rule status of such city, town, county, or municipality.

[1994 sp.s. c 7 § 428; 1985 c 428 § 1; 1983 c 232 § 12.]

Notes:

Finding –– Intent –– Severability –– 1994 sp.s. c 7: See notes following RCW 43.70.540.

Effective date –– 1994 sp.s. c 7 §§ 401-410, 413-416, 418-437, and 439-460: See note following RCW 9.41.010.

Severability –– 1985 c 428: "If any provision of this act or its application to any person or circumstance is held invalid, the remainder of the act or the application of the provision to other persons or circumstances is not affected." [1985 c 428 § 6.]

Application –– 1983 c 232 § 12: "Section 12 of this act

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 2:19:55 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, its not.

http://www.ccrkba.org/pub/rkba/press-releases/seattle.sanctuary.htm

I suppose it's open to opinion but the general discouragement of police to ask about "status" is the indicator of the "so called" sanctuary moniker.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 2:28:04 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

not goint to work this weekend, quarterly "big time" get together is already planned for this weekend...but I'm game...wouldn't be the first time I've open carried on "prohibited" property

Okay... How's next Sunday, then?

That would give folks a chance to pencil it in on their schedules and not have to scramble at the last minute.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 2:29:55 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

So this means you can't bring guns onto city property.  You can still buy them, own them and shoot them even if you reside in the Seattle area, right?  I thought that state preemption laws only covered ownership.

Besides, this has only been proposed (not enacted like the title says).

WA pre-emption covers carry as well...

So says Mr McKenna (the AG), anyway....

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 2:32:43 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Quoted:
So this means you can't bring guns onto city property.  You can still buy them, own them and shoot them even if you reside in the Seattle area, right?  I thought that state preemption laws only covered ownership.

Uh, the statute is pretty damn clear.  The City of Seattle does not have the power to enact restrictions such as this that are more severe or different from state law.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 2:32:45 PM EDT
[#45]
I'll be in Seattle tomorrow actually.  Damned if I won't be carrying.  Utah CHL reciprocity FTMFW!!!  
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 2:33:30 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Odd that they would be doing this while Chicago is in the midst of a Supreme Court case that will make this moot (if Heller doesn't already)...and I believe it's scheduled for Sept. 24 or so, with a decision later.

It's already 'moot' under WA state law... The mayor has been flat out told by state officials that his law would be illegal if enacted...  He's telling them to piss off...

Seattle is a 'sanctuary' but more for bums than illegal immigrants...

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 2:34:40 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Denver has a 'Home Rule' charter...

Seattle most certainly does NOT (and will never get one, either)....

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 2:35:13 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Uh, the statute is pretty damn clear.  The City of Seattle does not have the power to enact restrictions such as this that are more severe or different from state law.

Congratulations on repeating what I just said.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 2:35:24 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 2:36:04 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

I'll be in Seattle tomorrow actually.  Damned if I won't be carrying.  Utah CHL reciprocity FTMFW!!!  

Good.

P.S. It's actually not raining - should be good WX tomorrow too...

Don't let the hippies & hobos get you down...

Enjoy...

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top