Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/29/2006 7:09:13 PM EDT
Anyone else here dealt with Sears' ludicrous repair service system?  

Initially called for repair services on my washer and dryer (under extended warranty) in mid September.  
They came in late November and said they fixed the washer and dryer.  
It is now late December and they are ordering more parts to try to fix the washer.  

Their repair service system is:
- not user friendly
- they don't show up when they say they will and don't call you.
- if you cancel an appt they never seem to cancel it with their technician and they call you asking you why your not home.
- They ship the parts directly to you and you have to call to let them know you received them so they can now come fix your appliance.
- if they hit a wrong button on their computer during the setting up of an appt you have to call back because they can't reaccess your account.

In my case they shipped an extra part for my dryer.  The guy told me to keep it because he will just have to throw it away.  They don't have any place to ship the parts back to.  

I think it is time to write a letter to Sears to let them know what I think of their Repair Service system.  

Frustrated beyond Belief!  Anyone else have similiar experience?

Link Posted: 12/29/2006 7:17:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Several years ago, I had warranty(extended)  on my riding mower and refrig.

Their service sucked.
I will never again buy extended warranties from Sears.

And be careful, I've had salesmen try to add it to new purchases without asking me. They are a money maker for Sears and others.
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 7:22:29 PM EDT
[#2]
It really doesn't surprise me. It took them 6 tries to repair/replace the appliances they damaged during the delivery and setup of my washing machine, dryer, and fridge.
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 7:23:06 PM EDT
[#3]
I gave up on Sears years ago.
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 7:24:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 7:26:55 PM EDT
[#5]
They won't hire competent people.  I talked to a recruiter at a job fair.  I gave her my resume.  (I was between jobs )

They never called me.  

That proves my point, I am too competent.  
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 7:33:24 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
And be careful, I've had salesmen try to add it to new purchases without asking me. They are a money maker for Sears and others.

Extended warranties are generally not needed, unless you are buying some POS. Or maybe a notebook computer where one broken part, and you may have throw away the whole thing,
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 7:34:21 PM EDT
[#7]
That's typical of almost every single US company now.  In the past six months I've seen crap like that from GM, Dell, Charter, Verizon, Microsoft, and Kel-Tec.  The only two companies I can think of that I've dealt with that provided the level of service you would have expected any company to provide 50 years ago are Newegg.com and American Express.  The companies now know that if they string you along long enough you'll buy a new one and go away so they screw you like that every time.z
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 7:47:12 PM EDT
[#8]
I had good luck with Sears appliances up until relatively recently.  Needed repairs were few.  They always sent the service man out within a reasonable time, did a good job.

In the last year I had to buy new washer, dryer, TVs, and other appliances when the old house burned.  Went to Sears based on past experiencess.  |Wasn't the best decision.  Had a problem with the washer.. which never worked right, even after 3 repairs.  They tried to charge a restocking fee on the return.  Got a Maytag and haven't had any problems.

I guess that's what happens when K-Mart buys a company.

Link Posted: 12/29/2006 7:50:45 PM EDT
[#9]
I like their service just the way it is.

It just makes my paycheck bigger.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 4:53:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Normally I wouldn't have bought the extended warranty but both the washer and dryer have those touch pad control panels and I was afraid they would go and they did.  
Bad choice on my part!  Hopefully they will get it fixed in January and I can be done with them.  

It's ashame that Companies don't stand behind their products anymore.    

Thanks for sharing your stories!
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 4:57:25 AM EDT
[#11]
I had a problem with my new oven i bought from them. We called and two days later a guy came by and had it repaired in a few minutes.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 5:02:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Hello!!!!!
Sears was bought by Kmart
WTF does that tell you?

Saddest two retail companies in the world.
It's been YEARS since I've been in either one.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 5:08:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Last time I went to Sears I was returning a chainsaw chain and swapping it for a diffrent one.  They wanted to charge me a 15% restocking since it was used.  They said it was used cause the package was stapled shut, like all of the chainsaw chain packages are.  

I read them their posted policy on it, if its used and I return it for money 15% restock.  But its not used and Im exchanging it.  

45 minutes and 2 managers later I get my full refund.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 5:08:09 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Hello!!!!!
WTF does that tell you?

Sears bought Kmart.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 6:41:46 AM EDT
[#15]
+1  at one point we had 2 different Sears service techs show up, then the guy tells me the 2 month old dryer is my fault because of poor venting ( the old dryer worked just fine with my venting )
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 4:25:17 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Sears bought Kmart.

Wrong.  K-Mart bought Sears.  It isn't even Sears, Roebuck & Co anymore.  New name is Sears Holding Company.

ETA:  found an old news story about it:

money.cnn.com/2004/11/17/news/fortune500/sears_kmart/
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 4:30:13 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Hello!!!!!
WTF does that tell you?

Sears bought Kmart.

No, other way
kmart bought sears, and kept the Sears name
Eddie Lampert did it.

ETA, thanks for the link kar98k
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 4:34:02 PM EDT
[#18]
There was debate on ARFCOM whether the merger between Kmart and Sear will be more like Sears or Kmart, I think the answer is Kmart.  Kmart is the sorriest company, I've ever dealt with.  I've been in a Kmart only once, and that was enough.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 4:41:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 4:42:00 PM EDT
[#20]
We patronize the local appliance guy and have done so for as long as I can remember. The money stays local that way; we use a local repair shop as well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top