Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/4/2009 2:23:25 PM EDT
It's been determined that my car battery is dying. I have two local choices -Walmart and Sears.

Which would you buy?

Walmart Everstart or Sears Diehard?

Link Posted: 3/4/2009 2:24:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Autozone's medium or best.

Diehards are not what they used to be, haven't been for quite some time.
I don't know wtf happened there but they're probably the last battery I'd buy anymore.

Walmart... their batteries are good, but what about service?

Autozone, you have a prob with one of their batteries, they'll take care of it.
Plus their batteries are as good if not better (possibly even the same) as walmarts.
Link Posted: 3/4/2009 2:25:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/4/2009 2:28:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
If I had to choose between the two, Sears would get my money long before Wal-Mart.

+1
Link Posted: 3/4/2009 2:31:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Walmart batteries have a fairly long warranty, and a no questions asked return policy.

I bought a battery a few years ago.  Some kids got into my truck and turned on my lights, electric fan, etc.

I did not notice for weeks.  

When I pulled the battery out of the truck, I saw that I had a few months left on the warranty.  I took it in and was exchanged for a brand new battery and the warranty on that battery started that day.

Link Posted: 3/4/2009 2:32:44 PM EDT
[#5]
My Mustang is sporting a battery from WalMart. Couldn't beat the price, and it was in stock.

It stores electrons as good as the next one.

Link Posted: 3/4/2009 2:34:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Everstart ( neverstart ) have a very high rate of failure.

I would go elsewhere,YMMV.
Link Posted: 3/4/2009 2:36:42 PM EDT
[#7]
look in the phone book for "interstate batteries", if you have a sears stoe there has to be someone selling interstate.
Link Posted: 3/4/2009 2:38:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Optima
Link Posted: 3/4/2009 2:40:49 PM EDT
[#9]
funny thing is most wet cell batteries are made in just a few places and re- labeled for the various brands.

so buy what everbrand makes you happy, they are all about the same.
Link Posted: 3/4/2009 2:41:26 PM EDT
[#10]
I am not saying this is the rule, but i have gotten a shitty battery from walmart. They did replace it without a fuss though...
Link Posted: 3/4/2009 2:42:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
funny thing is most wet cell batteries are made in just a few places and re- labeled for the various brands.

I was actually just reading this. Seems like three manufacturers are responsible for all the different brand batteries out there.

Link Posted: 3/4/2009 2:45:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Optima

/Thread
Link Posted: 3/4/2009 2:46:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Do you have a Sam's Club membership? They sell Energizer branded car batteries at very good prices with a 2 year free replacement and a ~7 year prorated warranty.
Link Posted: 3/4/2009 2:48:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Whatever you do, stay away from Interstate batteries. Couldnt tell you how many times I saw (12 years as a dealership tech)  the damage done by those acid leaking pieces of shit. Not leakage through the casing mind you, but boil over from cycle charging.
Link Posted: 3/4/2009 2:49:07 PM EDT
[#15]
I have been let down by walmart batteries so many times.  I would go interstate myself
Link Posted: 3/4/2009 2:49:34 PM EDT
[#16]
truthfully, there are about 4 major battry manufacturer. they slap different labels on them.
look at warranty and CCA ratings is most important. hope I could help.
Link Posted: 3/4/2009 2:49:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Buy whatever's cheaper.  Get more cranking power for those PA winters.
Link Posted: 3/4/2009 2:59:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Whatever you do, stay away from Interstate batteries. Couldnt tell you how many times I saw (12 years as a dealership tech)  the damage done by those acid leaking pieces of shit. Not leakage through the casing mind you, but boil over from cycle charging.

really that's interesting...

Truth be told I have only bought "USED" Yellow tops from them.  They sell them here in Mesa AZ for $50.00, not bad in my book.
Link Posted: 3/4/2009 3:09:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
If I had to choose between the two, Sears would get my money long before Wal-Mart.

I used to do the WallyWorld option. they usually only last about 2 years. Some less. Yeah only like 3 or 4 companies make all the batteries but yhey offer many different levels of quality each.

i just replaced my DieHard after 6 yrs. Replaced it with another.
Link Posted: 3/4/2009 3:11:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Both are decent, but if the Sears is a slow store, the battery may have been sitting for a lot longer than the WalMart one.

12 volt lead acid batteries need to be maintained to stay 100%.
Link Posted: 3/4/2009 3:15:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Between the two listed, Sears.

You don't go cheap on car batteries, hookers or handguns.
Link Posted: 3/4/2009 3:17:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

+1000. I normally get mine from Autozone or Pep Boys.

Link Posted: 3/4/2009 3:20:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Walmart....just because their employees are stupid. I bought a five year battery there, it died after four and a half years. The guarantee was prorated after the first year. I took it back and the clerk gave me the full purchase price back.
Link Posted: 3/4/2009 3:26:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

This, only like 2 company's make batteries in the U.S.
Link Posted: 3/4/2009 3:30:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 3/4/2009 3:32:29 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

As has been stated, there are only a couple of companies that make batteries.

IMHO, you don't really "buy" batteries, you "rent" batteries.  And when they go out, you go get another one and they pro-rate the price on it.

And, no matter where you are when it goes out, a Walmart will be close by and have the battery replacement you need.

There was a time when high-dollar batteries were "better".  I no longer believe that to be true.

I'm with you. I buy a WalMart special, and replace it every 3 years, whether I think I need to or not.

Link Posted: 3/4/2009 3:35:24 PM EDT
[#27]
For a 'generic' battery, either the OEM replacement (Motorcraft/AC Delco) or an Interstate.   I've only dealt with about 20,000 used vehicles, but YMMV.  If you're stuck with two choices for whatever reason(where I live there are about 140 car dealerships and over 20 walmarts for instance), I would go with the DieHard.
Link Posted: 3/4/2009 3:38:20 PM EDT
[#28]
walmart. i only expect to get 2 years out of any battery and replace them before they fail. i look for the highest cranking amps that will fit in space provided
Link Posted: 3/4/2009 3:40:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Consumer Reports rates the Diehard Platinum 50065 the highest. A little pricey at 180 dollars. The Diehard Gold 33165 is rated good also @110 dollars.
Link Posted: 3/4/2009 3:42:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
As has been stated, there are only a couple of companies that make batteries.

IMHO, you don't really "buy" batteries, you "rent" batteries.  And when they go out, you go get another one and they pro-rate the price on it.

And, no matter where you are when it goes out, a Walmart will be close by and have the battery replacement you need.

There was a time when high-dollar batteries were "better".  I no longer believe that to be true.

this i do trust.
Link Posted: 3/4/2009 3:45:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Samsclub carries Optima batteries, they are worth the money.....I've heard the red, blue, and yellow tops are virtually the same battery.

On the other hand, I have had an interstate battery in my car from 04' but just opted for the optima to replace it. I have a lot of power options on my car, so a good battery is a must.
Link Posted: 3/4/2009 3:53:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 3/4/2009 3:54:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Optima?  I won't make that mistake again.  I only bought one because NO ONE had a 94R for the price of a Red Top which would fit and had the CCA for my application.  In case you don't know, a 94R has about 80 Amp-hours, measured at 4 amperes for 20 hours.  Well, the Red Top is only 48 Amp-hours measured at 2.4 amps for 20 hours, barely HALF the rated capacity.  It only lasted 3 years.  A proper 94R is about double the weight of the Red Top.

Sure, they have high area/mass ratios which is what gives them the high CCA.  But when you have to wait 20 seconds for the glow plugs to get hot, that little 120 amp load will draw a Red Top into no-start.

Get an Interstate.  Sure, there are only a few manufacturers of batteries BUT they make many different levels of quality.

All 12V batteries have 6 cells.  That is about the ONLY thing they have in common.  Each cell is made up of at least 2 plates.  Cheaper batteries have fewer plates because it easier to assemble.  But for a given capacity, the plates are made thicker.  Such construction makes for a more fragile battery as the grids have to support more weight and the active agent is further from the lead grid, the primary conductor.  Optima has very thin active layers and even thinner grids that are possible only because of the tight winding of the cell.  But this arrangement isn't good for life span with heavy loads or many cycles as the thin grid corrodes to nothing.
Link Posted: 3/4/2009 4:28:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Well I got the Walmart battery. The price for the high end one was 74.00 and that included dispossal of the old one. Another thing that surprised my wife and I was the service. The guy was polite and friendly and called us "folks" (I love that term for some reason, just makes me trust the guy instantly    )   Seriously though it was some of the best service I have had from a mechanic.

Anyway he tested it and confirmed the battery was on its last leg.

Got a 3 year no hassle free replacement and then up to 9 years pro-rated.

Im happy. I'ts my first Wallyworld battery...so only time will tell.

On the other hand they were SOLD OUT of just about any ammo you could name, even bricks of 22 were gone. Just a bunch of shotgun shells and some odd rifle calibers. Guy behind the counter said the Obama scare has people hoarding it. Said they can't keep it on the shelf. Its all gone the same day it comes in.

Link Posted: 3/4/2009 4:33:16 PM EDT
[#35]
my walmart battery lasted about 9 months,i got a full refund and went to advanced auto
Link Posted: 3/4/2009 4:38:30 PM EDT
[#36]
I've mentioned it here before.....

I used to for Johnson Controls Battery division (The company that PROBABLY made 60-70% of your cars interior) and we made them all.

Diehards down the line for an hour, Everstarts for an hour and a half and then another hour of Kirklands (Costco).

All welded, filled, boosted, decorated (Where you slap on the stickers) and stacked-off by the same folks.

Link Posted: 3/4/2009 4:47:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Interstate
Link Posted: 3/4/2009 5:04:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Interstate

This is what I use.
Link Posted: 3/4/2009 5:24:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Walmart batteries have a fairly long warranty, and a no questions asked return policy.

I bought a battery a few years ago.  Some kids got into my truck and turned on my lights, electric fan, etc.

When I pulled the battery out of the truck, I saw that I had a few months left on the warranty.  I took it in and was exchanged for a brand new battery and the warranty on that battery started that day.

Wal-Mart does not "restart" your warranty anymore. The batteries have the punch-hole date stickers and they
are supposed to punch the original purchase date on the new battery.
Link Posted: 3/4/2009 5:38:55 PM EDT
[#40]
Interstate Blem
Link Posted: 3/4/2009 6:00:03 PM EDT
[#41]
Sears....Walmart....doesn't matter. You're probably going to end up with an Exide battery either way you go.

They had the contracts for both back when the wifey worked there. but that's been some years ago.
Link Posted: 3/5/2009 9:56:09 AM EDT
[#42]
Sears Diehard and Walmart are the same battery made by Johnson Controls.  My friend was a store manager for Sears and told me this.  

Gregor
Link Posted: 3/5/2009 9:57:46 AM EDT
[#43]
Autozone!

I melted one recently ( starter solenoid ground out and melted itself and my batt) and they took it back under warranty
Link Posted: 3/5/2009 10:00:05 AM EDT
[#44]
I will put in the extra work to find an interstate any more, the others have all let me down.
Link Posted: 3/5/2009 10:05:36 AM EDT
[#45]
Duralast
Link Posted: 3/5/2009 10:05:50 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

look in the phone book for "interstate batteries", if you have a sears stoe there has to be someone selling interstate.

A big +1

I won't buy anything else.
Link Posted: 3/5/2009 10:06:40 AM EDT
[#47]
My step-dad used to work in a battery factory around Salina, Kansas.

According to him, they all rolled off the same assembly line and then got the appropriate label combined with the appropriate price before they shipped to Wal-Mart, Sears, Auto-Zone ect.

The exception to this was/is the Optima brand.

Link Posted: 3/5/2009 10:08:59 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Autozone's medium or best.

Diehards are not what they used to be, haven't been for quite some time.

I don't know wtf happened there but they're probably the last battery I'd buy anymore.

Walmart... their batteries are good, but what about service?

Autozone, you have a prob with one of their batteries, they'll take care of it.

Plus their batteries are as good if not better (possibly even the same) as walmarts.
Autozone QFT! I worked there for years in college and I just replaced my battery there last week. They sell good batteries and the warranty will be in their nationwide database if you ever have trouble on the road.

Link Posted: 3/5/2009 10:09:36 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Not so much anymore.  I have a Corvette that is 35 years old.  When I lived in Cali, I drove it 10 months out of the year, even to work sometimes.  Living in the cold wastes of Northern Nevada the past 4 years, means it sits alot more often.

As a result, the battery dies fairly often, even when I start it up once a week.

Wally world used to swap them out restart the warranty...no questions asked.

The last time I went in, some old crone wanted to "prorate my warranty"
I pointed to the old and new batteries and said "What part of unconditional do you not understand"?

She called her supervisor who basically told her to shut the Eff up and give me my battery.
Link Posted: 3/5/2009 10:15:07 AM EDT
[#50]
Kirkland battery from Costco if you have a membership.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top