Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/31/2004 10:43:49 PM EDT
August 31, 2004

Search is on for Bengal tiger at Fort Polk
Associated Press

LEESVILLE, La. — A team of about 40 soldiers and sheriff’s deputies searched Fort Polk Tuesday for a Bengal tiger cub that has been seen roaming the woods on the Army base.

It was unclear where the animal came from, but it’s likely that it was a pet that escaped or was set free, said Leslie Whitt, director of the Alexandria Zoo, who assisted in the search. Several witnesses said the animal was wearing a collar.

Based on witness’ descriptions, the tiger is probably about 100 pounds and 1 year old, Whitt said. If it was kept as a pet, it probably has not learned how to hunt for food, he said.

“It probably has no experience whatsoever in killing anything, catching it and eating it,” Whitt said. “It’s probably just freaked out and looking for a way back to where it belongs.”

The animal was first seen on Friday. There were five sightings on Monday, including one person who saw the tiger cross a road near a military police station, said Maj. Ron Elliott, a Fort Polk spokesman. An attempt to catch the tiger with a deer meat trap was unsuccessful, Elliott said.

Leading the search Tuesday were experts from Anna’s Exotic Animal Ranch and Wildlife Consultants, a company that specializes in caring for mammals native to Louisiana. They were armed with stun guns, Elliott said.

http://www.armytimes.com/story.php?f=1-292925-330588.php
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 11:50:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I wonder if it is any relation to the Seeing Eye Cat?
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 12:00:39 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

good question........
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 12:09:05 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

good question........

Both of them seem to be able to hold their own against Military Police!
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 4:45:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 5:10:05 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Excuse me, since I'm just a Jarhead, but wasn't Ft. Polk home of "Tigerland" during the 60's and 70's?

Yes. Now the game is repackaged and updated, to include the Cortininan Liberation Front and a slew of other characters.......

As far as the animal, its interesting seeing what people are trying to keep for domesticated animals these days..remember the incidents of apartment dwellers who have been found to have tigers, alligators, etc ?
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 5:50:07 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
As far as the animal, its interesting seeing what people are trying to keep for domesticated animals these days..remember the incidents of apartment dwellers who have been found to have tigers, alligators, etc ?

We had a housefire a few years back that ended up (naturally) flooding the basement. As we started
to go down into the basement to check for damage, and figure out the best way to get rid of the water,
the owner comes up, "Let me know if my babies survived!"  HRRRRRRRRRRRR!?!?!
All kinds of thought running through my head. "Babies?!?"
"My snake collection. I'm a herpitologist w/ Georgetown, and I have a personal collection that I use
as living examples in class." Alrighty then.......
I went down the stairs far enough that I could see with my flashlight that the cages had fallen over,
and there were all sorts of swimming critters in the water!
Needless to say, we used a hose w/ a screen (didn't want to suck a snake into the pump - Chief
would have been pissed!) to get the water out. Then once it was down enough, we allowed HIM
to go down and collect up his critters. (He said later that he had no problems with them as the cold
water had made them very lethargic & docile. I'll take his word for it!)
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 5:50:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 5:59:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Dammit, who let gray davis out of his cage?
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 6:02:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Hunting trip, anyone?

Link Posted: 9/1/2004 6:20:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Yes it was Jarhead, and I believe it was the "Home of the Combat InfantryMan"  I took my AIT there, they also have some Big Ass Snakes down there  

Quoted:
Excuse me, since I'm just a Jarhead, but wasn't Ft. Polk home of "Tigerland" during the 60's and 70's?

Link Posted: 9/1/2004 7:32:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Before anyone asks:      .338 Win Mag.

Or phased plasma rifle in the 40 watt range.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 10:23:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Some grunt at JRTC is going to get a big surprise some night.

"Sarge, is that you?"

"AAaaaah!"

Link Posted: 9/1/2004 10:29:44 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Yep. When I was stationed there in the mid '80s I lived in the old tigerland cantonment area. North Fort.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top