Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/28/2005 7:02:11 AM EDT
Ive seen stories on the TV and internet, where it describes some kind of sea monster attacking a US submarines sonar and leaving teeth all over the rubber covering.  Does anybody have a link to this story...ive tried to google it...but couldnt find what I was looking for.

Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:04:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:05:10 AM EDT
[#2]
try a library, isn't there a book called 40,000 leagues under the sea?
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:07:36 AM EDT
[#3]
"We are now deeper than any man has ever been before."
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:09:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:10:11 AM EDT
[#5]
I read that it was on a surface ships sonar dome. Squid sucker scars were found after the ship docked.

Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:11:20 AM EDT
[#6]
It was featured on Arthur C. Clarke's Mysterious World on TV a few years back. It was a destroyer on its maiden voyage and something attacked the sonar dome on the bottom of the bow. It shredded the rubber coating pretty well and left "teeth" about an inch long in the remainder.

They concluded from the "teeth" that it was a very large giant squid. The "teeth" were apparently claws that are contained in the suckers of big squids. No estimates on how large but certainly bigger than anything they had ever found before -- if it felt comfortable attacking something the size of a destroyer.

You may be able to find more information through Fortean Times magazine. www.forteantimes.com  The magazine covers "Fortean Phenomena" - named after Charles Fort who noticed that there were any number of strange events that could not be explained by anything we currently knew about science.

Other examples of strange things that were covered on the show include a time it rained apples on a house for about two hours, live frogs that popped out of million-year-old rocks, a time it rained hickory nuts and various kinds of seeds, fish falls, what was apparently a living dinosaur in Indonesia, and a snake estimated to be some 50 feet long or so in Africa.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:11:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Yep.  Captain Nemo and the Nautilus.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:11:32 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

20,000 leagues under the sea. mmk

yea thats it, I have never read it.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:13:14 AM EDT
[#9]

Cookie-cutter Shark Bite

The image shows damage to the sonar dome of a submarine. The cookie-shaped divot is probably the result of a bite from a Cookie-cutter Shark Isistius brasiliensis (Quoy & Gaimard, 1824).

As the shark bit through the rubber dome, the teeth left marks which are clearly visible.

Bites by Cookie-cutter sharks on nuclear submarines have been reported by Compagno, 1984. The submarine in this image is not nuclear powered.

Further reading
Compagno, L.J.V. 1984. FAO species catalogue. Vol. 4, Sharks of the World. An annotated and illustrated catalogue of shark species known to date. Part 1 - Hexanchiformes to Lamniformes: viii, 1-250.

Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:56:55 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

20,000 leagues under the sea. mmk

Yea 40,000 was part II!
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 8:13:40 AM EDT
[#11]
  What's amazing that we know the giant squid exist.   But there is no documented case of a human seeing one alive .   Dead specimens have washed up on beaches around the world and when alive were truely what could be discribed as a sea monster.    

It is also known that  that Sperm whale almost exclusively eat giant squid. They will dive hundreds of feet deep and spend hours hunting the squid.   Using thier sonar to locate and attack the squid.

My guess is that subs, running deep, sometimes go thru giant squid schools.  The squids mistake the sub for a whale and try to defend themselves.

Hey it's a theory as good any other

Link Posted: 8/28/2005 8:21:50 AM EDT
[#12]
there old reports from whalers of catching whales with suction marks on them the size of dinner plates...
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 8:22:47 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
  What's amazing that we know the giant squid exist.   But there is no documented case of a human seeing one alive .   Dead specimens have washed up on beaches around the world and when alive were truely what could be discribed as a sea monster.    

It is also known that  that Sperm whale almost exclusively eat giant squid. They will dive hundreds of feet deep and spend hours hunting the squid.   Using thier sonar to locate and attack the squid.

My guess is that subs, running deep, sometimes go thru giant squid schools.  The squids mistake the sub for a whale and try to defend themselves.

Hey it's a theory as good any other

Well, what about when it happens to a surface ship, like the destroyer?  Seems to me the squid was just trying to find some food and picked on something it figured was about the right size. Hmmmm, maybe this is why some fishing boats come up missing . . . .
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 8:26:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Tag
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 8:26:31 AM EDT
[#15]

But there is no documented case of a human seeing one alive .

Yeah there is.  The crew of the Alecton in November of 1861, amongst others.

Architeuthis.  I want one.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 8:33:52 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Your right I  forgot about that .
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 8:35:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 8:38:09 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
giant squid

That would be my best guess too.  
By the by a "league" is a unit of distance a "fathom" is a unit of depth.  It should have been "20,000 Fathoms Under the Sea.", LOL.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 8:38:56 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
www.funtasticparties.us/Arielsassy.jpg

I think that possibly warrants a BOTD heads-up in the subject line.....she's not wearing a burkha, ya know.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 8:41:07 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

There was also an incident reported in WWII after a ship went down and the guys were stuck floating on debris for several days. They reported that a big squid stalked them and would periodically reach up and just snatch one of them off the rafts. One survivor still had big sucker marks where the squid had torn out big chunks of his flesh.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 8:50:50 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

There was also an incident reported in WWII after a ship went down and the guys were stuck floating on debris for several days. They reported that a big squid stalked them and would periodically reach up and just snatch one of them off the rafts. One survivor still had big sucker marks where the squid had torn out big chunks of his flesh.

That sounds like one hell of a way to go.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 9:50:50 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
By the by a "league" is a unit of distance a "fathom" is a unit of depth.  It should have been "20,000 Fathoms Under the Sea.", LOL.

20,000 leagues is correct.  They weren't 20,000 leagues down.  They traveled 20,000 leagues around the world -- while under the sea.  20,000 leagues is much longer than the Earth is thick.  They'd be a quarter of the way to the moon on the other side of the world.  
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 9:53:10 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
giant squid

That would be my best guess too.  

Wasn't the title referring to the distance traveled by the Nautilus, and not the depth?
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 9:57:09 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

if she lost the outfit, she'd be pretty cute.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 10:03:08 AM EDT
[#25]

Giant squid are the scariest creatures on the freakin planet !!!!

(whenever I dive in deep water, I worry about them  )
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 10:13:36 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Also a scientist has managed to capture some in larvel form.

Not the same, but it was a first.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 10:15:49 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Also a scientist has managed to capture some in larvel form.

Not the same, but it was a first.

I saw that one too, Discovery HD I think. Too bad he wasn't able to keep any alive, but very interesting nonetheless.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 10:22:06 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Giant squid are the scariest creatures on the freakin planet !!!!

(whenever I dive in deep water, I worry about them  )

Not to worry. I don't think you will find water that deep in MO.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 10:26:30 AM EDT
[#29]
I feel obligated to ask, "What's the best round for giant squid?"
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 10:27:27 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Anyone for some aquabumping?
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 2:25:05 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Torpedo?
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 2:32:33 PM EDT
[#32]
It was this guy I bet.

Link Posted: 8/28/2005 2:38:27 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
It was this guy I bet.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v320/visigoth/sigmund2.jpg

Nah.... Sigmund the sea monster wouldn't hurt anyone...

What were his brothers names ???  Burp & Slurp or something ?
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 3:00:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Ya know, I hear sunlight never reaches certain depths, much less the bottom of the ocean.

Think maybe we could get a nuke and bring some sunshine in a can to these poor, dark regions of the earth?
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 3:06:21 PM EDT
[#35]
The stories of giant squids are true,  but they are nothing that would be threatening to say a
fishing boat.

The Navy 'All Hands' or 'Surface Warfare' magazine ran a story about different incidents a few
years ago.  Even had some pics of 100+ foot long specimens.

I think whales are a more common collision victim than most people think.  We started recieving
'Marine Mammal Awareness'  training after a couple whales washed up on the East coast looking
like a couple of Florida manatees.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 3:11:31 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:
It was this guy I bet.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v320/visigoth/sigmund2.jpg

Nah.... Sigmund the sea monster wouldn't hurt anyone...

What were his brothers names ???  Burp & Slurp or something ?

I find it a little disturbing that you know this.......
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 3:13:56 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If I had my way that fucker would be frying in boiling oil. Even then that's still not good enough for the bastard.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 3:15:47 PM EDT
[#38]
you kow I was thinking more along the lines of a mini-nuke but then we may get a Godzilla.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 3:27:16 PM EDT
[#39]
Beerslayer is right! The navy has already proven it! The Giant Squid is drwn to the sonar bean for some reason, they have actually found dead ones fried by the sonar waves still clinging in a couple cases.

And yes they do exist. Canadian Seamen who had ships sank by Torpedoes in WWII have been eaten by them, due to the bright orange color of their floatation vest attracting them and other Seamen have seen that is what they were.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 3:27:55 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

She can leave sucker marks on me any day.

Link Posted: 8/28/2005 3:31:59 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Beerslayer is right! The navy has already proven it! The Giant Squid is drwn to the sonar bean for some reason, they have actually found dead ones fried by the sonar waves still clinging in a couple cases.

And yes they do exist. Canadian Seamen who had ships sank by Torpedoes in WWII have been eaten by them, due to the bright orange color of their floatation vest attracting them and other Seamen have seen that is what they were.

Giant man eating squid....just one more reason to stay the hell out of the ocean.

Or any place else humans are considered tasty snacks.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 3:36:19 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Giant man eating squid....just one more reason to stay the hell out of the ocean.

Or any place else humans are considered tasty snacks.

Giant squid, sharks, carnivorous whales, jellyfish, those giant isopods I posted pictures of, pirahna, candiru, electric eels, moray eels, sea urchins, alligators, crocodiles, snapping turtles, batfish... Remind me, what is it that I like about going in the water again?
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 3:39:45 PM EDT
[#43]
Humboldt squids live in deep waters off the baja peninsula.  They get something like 10 feet long or so.  Fishermen catch them all the time.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 3:39:45 PM EDT
[#44]
being in MN I'm not too worried about giant squid, Giant leeches scare me
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 3:42:24 PM EDT
[#45]
Big

Bigger

Oh my God

Link Posted: 8/28/2005 3:59:25 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 4:03:46 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
I read that it was on a surface ships sonar dome. Squid sucker scars were found after the ship docked.

I"m pretty sure that somewhere there is a huge ass squid going "WTF?!?"
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 4:23:15 PM EDT
[#48]
There is also something known as a Cookie Cutter Shark.  One of the shark group's scientific name is Isistius brasiliensis.

Basically, it is a small shark that is optimized at biting off chunks of blubber or flesh from larger marine animals.  It has bioluminescent areas that encourage larger animals to target the CCS as prey.  When they come in for the kill, the tables are turned, and the CCS winds up with a chunk of flesh for its trouble.

Nasty look critters, but harmless to humans.  

Link Posted: 8/28/2005 4:30:43 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Crikey mate , whether getting picked off a lifeboat .......or swallowed whole while floating by a beak ,
I bet the survivors were a little shook .

Jeez wacthing your buddies gettin picked off the life raft by a tenacle would really suck (HAR HAR) I'm thinkin you'd never be the same not soon not later not ever ! gives me the willies just thinkin about it . I dont wilie easy
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 4:42:52 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If I had my way that fucker would be frying in boiling oil. Even then that's still not good enough for the bastard.

Isn't that kind of harsh?  Just because an old Sailor is covered in giant sucker scars is no valid reason to subject him to that type of torture.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top