Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 6/24/2002 5:48:57 PM EST
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 6:33:51 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/24/2002 6:34:47 PM EST by shooter69]
Not an expert (so consider this a BTT) but I can say you're on the right track. I went with some friends and enjoyed kayaking to all the little islands when I was in CT. Looking forward to crossing the sound the next time I'm there. [;)]
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 6:37:09 PM EST
And if you wanna be REALLY cool you get a Klepper kayak, that you can break down into parts so it'll store into two bags. They're a bitch paddling in waves though, as they tend to bend over the wave instead of cutting through it. [:(]
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 6:55:08 PM EST
Definitely rent before you buy. If you have an REI store, or similar, they usually have a demo day where you can try out various models for free.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 7:02:40 PM EST
1) Go out to Peconic Paddler and rent one a few times to see if you like it. If you decide to get one, 2) Take a class to learn basic techniques and get some time in 'em, so that you have some clue of what to shop for, and 3) Take a class to learn "self rescue" techniques -- exiting the kayak while upside-down, then righting it, draining it, and climbing back in. LATER, if you really get into it, learn rolling. (If you're not really into it, you won't be practicing rolling enough to be able to do it in an emergency anyway, so you'd better know how to self-rescue.) Note the "self" part of that -- the two-person techniques are easier, but if you get into trouble, you probably won't have anyone around to help you. (That's just how it always works out, y'know?) Oh -- you'll find a marked difference between the river kayakers (suicidal maniacs) and sea kayakers. The river rats will insist that rolling is critically important -- and it is, FOR THEM. For you, it's secondary to self-rescue. And don't think you can get a cheap river kayak for sea/lake use; they're too different. You won't be happy with one. Cost varies. You can get a cheapie for $500 or a high-end one for $4000. Try buying used for your first one. (Too bad you're not in WA; I'm selling mine.) Don't skimp on the paddle; the cheap plastic ones are crap. And try the yak out before you buy it, to make sure it handles well for you. For transport, unless you get a folding yak, you'll need a yak rack. The cheapie foam pads that slip over bars work ok, but rollers (in back) make it a lot easier to get the yak on and off the rack. Storage is usually in the back yard or garage. Don't hang it by the ends, as that will cause it to bend/warp. Get a cover (sheet of plastic and a bungee cord works) to tie around the cockpit hole so that critters don't move in. Try to keep it out of direct sunlight, which can damage some materials (UV exposure). If you don't have space to store it, you may as well just rent one, or get a folder. Folders can be nice. Disadvantage is setting them up and taking them down every time you use them. Don't leave them set up in a hot area (e.g., on top of the car in direct sunlight). The skins (at least the ones I've seen) oxidize after a few years and require replacement. For fishing, you might consider getting an outrigger to attach to it when you're at your spot, for stability while fighting a big one or while being attacked by morons in powerboats. You WILL learn to hate powerboaters. They are scum. Unfortunately, 40mm grenade launchers and Exocet missiles are heavily restricted in NY. Feel free to email. . . . I'm not an expert but I've been paddling for a few years now. All of the above is JMHO. eringobleargh@beerDOTcom
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 8:23:12 PM EST
Go to paddling.net. These guys will point you in the right direction. I just bought an Old Town Castine. It's a recreational/touring boat. If fishing is your main interest, you may want to look at boats that are wider than your typical sea kayak. These would fall into the recreational class. Wider with a larger cockpit. There are lots of web sites for info, but padding.net is really good because they have members with all types of boats. Go there and ask your questions, you won't be disapointed. Then, after you've got more info than you can take, go try a few. That's the best way to find the one to suit your needs. It's a great sport that you can do for a lifetime.....enjoy!
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 8:35:20 PM EST
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 11:15:29 PM EST
Do you want an inflatable or a hard shell? What about the kind that let you sit on top? They're supposed to be more forgiving for newbies. Northwest River Supply is a well known company for supplies.
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 2:42:55 AM EST
I too was going to suggest Northwest River Supplies in Moscow, ID ([url]www.nrsweb.com[/url]). Being a [b]suicidal maniac[/b] ([i]river kayaker[/i]), I have dealt with NRS for years! BTW: I'll be taking MedCop and Urodoji on a whitewater trip this coming Thursday, on the Lower Yough river in PA.... It's an easy class III-IV river.
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 9:41:23 AM EST
Having been involved in touring kayaking (bay & ocean primarily), I'm partial to Wilderness Systems kayaks. Here's a pic of my kids and I from a couple of years ago... [img]http://www.cookcontrols.com/images/family/Kayak-%203%20Jeffs.jpg[/img] [:D]
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 11:22:12 AM EST
Some of the ones at [url=http://www.cobrakayaks.com]Cobra Kayaks[/url] look good, but I don't know much about kayaking. I know one person who has the Tourer, and one who has the Fish N' Dive. They are both very happy with them. Weird that you brought this up, as I have been thinking about getting one too. I looked for the first time yesterday.
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 1:04:21 PM EST
[Last Edit: 7/2/2002 1:14:28 PM EST by Geachtete]
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 2:26:02 PM EST
Cookie, rotflmao!
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 6:18:28 PM EST
check out FOLBOT, similar to Klepper...the frames break down and the parts and skin stow in a duffel-type bag. 3 models. Plus, they have an annual sale (during Fall???) where they deeeep discount to keep their people working in the "off" season. Stay safe
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 3:12:45 AM EST
Joe_556, I can't believe you're the only one who caught that. [}:D]
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 4:37:34 AM EST
That is pretty funny. Disturbing, but funny.[:D]
Top Top