Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/29/2006 12:14:26 PM EDT
Just wanted to see if I could beat Vito or KA3B to the punch. Looks like I did. Sad to see the Harriers go, though.

Sea Harrier stars of Falklands fly for last time
By Richard Savill
(Filed: 29/03/2006)

The Royal Navy's Sea Harrier jump-jets, which played a vital role in the Falklands conflict 24 years ago, made their final flight yesterday.

Tributes were paid to the fighter as the last five from 801 Squadron performed an aerial display at Royal Naval Air Station Yeovilton, Somerset, their base for 26 years.

A Sea Harrier passes over the deck of HMS Illustrious

The jets are being decommissioned to make way for new GR7 and GR9 ground attack Harriers. They will be stored pending disposal.

Vice-Adml Adrian Johns, the Second Sea Lord, said: "It is a very emotional day and it is very sad to say farewell to the Sea Harriers, which have contributed so much, especially in the Falklands."

Cdr Henry Mitchell, 43, the longest-serving Sea Harrier pilot, flying them for 21 years, said: "It hasn't quite hit me yet that this is the last time I will fly this amazing jet."

Argentine fighters failed to shoot down any of the 29-strong fleet of Sea Harriers in the Falklands. More recently, the fighter served in the first Gulf war, the Balkans and Sierra Leone.

The two former Sea Harrier squadrons, 801 and 800, are to be reformed with GR7s at RAF Cottesmore, in Rutland, but will retain their naval traditions.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 12:16:24 PM EDT
[#1]

Vice-Adml Adrian Johns, the Second Sea Lord

Our military needs cool titles like that.

SSgt Bandit, Lord Master of the Torque Wrench
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 12:22:28 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted: The jets are being decommissioned to make way for new GR7 and GR9 ground attack Harriers. They will be stored pending disposal.
Sell 'em to India. I think they are still operating a ex-HMS aircraft carrier.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 12:25:20 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

It is the end of an era.

SGT citizensoldier emperor of a tiny corner of the TOC
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 12:38:17 PM EDT
[#4]
So are the GRs going to fly off the carriers?

1LT Manic, Supreme Guardian of Cuddlies.

NTM
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 12:48:01 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Thanks for the sigline idea
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 12:49:28 PM EDT
[#6]

Co-Vice Colonel

Awesome rank.  
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 12:56:43 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Co-Vice Colonel

Awesome rank.  

It took me 17 months, but I finally made it!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top