Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/1/2011 12:49:55 PM EDT
Time for another scuba diving thread! Because I'm just back from another scuba diving trip and I <3 scuba!

What trip did you take recently? What have you planned, short term?
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 12:56:06 PM EDT
[#1]
i didn't know they had scuba in canada
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 1:01:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Just wait till you find out about rebreathers
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 1:09:43 PM EDT
[#3]

Haven't been down in almost 3 years. Need to take a refresher then jump back in.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 1:18:18 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Shut up

One thing at a time. Only have 21 dives under my weight belt

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 1:18:37 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Haven't been down in almost 3 years. Need to take a refresher then jump back in.

Why yes, yes you do!

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 1:24:42 PM EDT
[#6]
I have only been diving once when I was in Belize a few years back.  It was a blast.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 1:27:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

It's just like ice fishing, but with people instead of bait.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 1:31:03 PM EDT
[#8]
I was supposed to dive in Cozumel on our honeymoon last Sept., but got in a car accident a few days prior (elderly guy ran a red and t-boned me), so my shoulder got messed up.
I do have plans for this year though, just some beach and boat dives off the coast here, I think visiting the oil rigs might be cool.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 1:31:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 1:31:25 PM EDT
[#10]
If I get the promotion I'm gunning for, I'll be moved to Tampa and plan on doing a lot more diving when I get there.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 1:34:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 1:42:23 PM EDT
[#12]
I live in south florida. I have dove nearly every reef and wreck there is to dive in broward and dade and a couple in palm beach and monroe as well.  Lately I like snorkeling/free diving to be more enjoyable. Even more fun is with a snare, sling or speargun. Catching lobsters and stone crabs are what I usually spend my time doing underwater. I was at Sam's and Florida lobster was 20 bucks a lb. I couldn't believe it.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 1:46:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'd love to get certified for rebreathers!  

Its super cool, if you don't die that is...
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 1:48:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Wife and I are  Padi advanced open water certified. Haven't been in 2 years due to having kids. Can't wait to get back out there. Probably the Turks on our next destination list.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 1:55:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Shut up

No wonder your so amped up, go to a rebreather as soon as possible,  been diving for twenty five years and sometimes I'm happy just chilling on the beach instead of waiting for everyone on the boat to figure how much weight they need or dealing with the dive master on a power trip. Still love the sport but every year you become more selective of were and when you will dive and your tolerance for stupid becomes less and less. My favorite is grand cayman I can be on a good drop off from the beach and skip the shitty boat rides, and newb herds with enough gear for an extended range cave dive.
If you go to Cozumel and you don't see the dive master doing a head count ok checking people off as they get in stay on the dam boat, no liability in Mexico, and the current is wicked
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 1:57:24 PM EDT
[#16]
I have not been in years.  I always enjoyed the peace at 45 ft under water.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 1:58:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Its a one week season in July.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 1:59:25 PM EDT
[#18]
I used to but i am afraid it will make my tinnitus worse.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 2:04:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Me in Cancun circa 2001

Dive buddy in Cozumel last year.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 2:14:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Got myself certified back in 2000 and so far, besides the local lakes, I've been to Maui (twice), Grand Cayman, Cozumel, and Key West ( three times) for diving.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 2:19:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Certified in 1981, Instructor for 16 years.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 2:26:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Lots of dive trips in the 90's, mostly the keys had great fun.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 2:34:32 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That goes for pretty much everything, actually

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 2:35:34 PM EDT
[#24]
love the florida springs in winter. no one else around except for other divers.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 2:40:46 PM EDT
[#25]
I gotta get back and soon.  We are trying to setup for Spring Break.  Gotta find a new place other than Mexico.

My son is ready to get wet again.  I bet is costs me a new BC for him.  Growing Pains
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 2:42:52 PM EDT
[#26]
I haven't been since 2006, and spent a week at Jean-Michel Cousteau in Fiji that was absolutely phenomenal.  
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 2:43:24 PM EDT
[#27]
I am PADI certified. I have my Open Water, Advanced Openwater, and Nitrox. I have logged about 175 dives but when I got married I had my wife certified and she enjoyed it at first and then after her check out dive we went back and she got scared for some reason. She said she just didn't feel right after that and now she won't go back. So it has all been a waste of money.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 2:48:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I am PADI certified. I have my Open Water, Advanced Openwater, and Nitrox. I have logged about 175 dives but when I got married I had my wife certified and she enjoyed it at first and then after her check out dive we went back and she got scared for some reason. She said she just didn't feel right after that and now she won't go back. So it has all been a waste of money.

Were the conditions of the checkout dive in murky conditions?  A lot of folks freak when the viz is down.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 2:51:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Got my classroom and pool training done and now Im waiting for it to warm up here or trek to Dallas to get my check out dives done.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 2:51:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Got my advanced open water cert before going to Iraq the fist time. Just gotback from my second tour looking forward to getting wet again!  

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 2:56:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Shut up

Weight belt ?   Nobody uses a weight belt anymore...weight integrated BC is the shit......
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 2:57:32 PM EDT
[#32]
I learned and got certified in Hawaii (big island, Kailua-Kona), and most recently went diving in Cozumel in Oct 2009.   Definitely an awesome experience!
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 2:59:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Go for the Nitrox..  Nothing like the feel good gas to keep you rollin.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 2:59:22 PM EDT
[#34]
System runnin slow.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 3:05:34 PM EDT
[#35]
The wife and I did Fiji October before last and Hawaii in July.

I want to go back to Bonaire for a couple of weeks this year,  love that place.  You don't ever have to get on a boat,  it's reasonably priced and the diving is good ( not as good as Fiji,  but a trip is 1/3rd the price ).  Normally do two trips a year but the house is going to need a new roof this year,
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 3:13:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Wife and I went down the St. Croix last summer, the diving was better than expected then again anywhere in the Caribbean is great. My wife is pregnant so no diving trips anytime soon, well at least not for her but we want to go to the place below.

Wakatobi Dive Resort
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 3:17:11 PM EDT
[#37]
So I guess I'll ask about this here instead of starting my own thread about it.  I've been diving once, on our honeymoon in Jamaica.  They offered a free dive if you're not certified, you do this 3 hour course and dive in a pool first.  Yeah, I'm sure it's poo-pooed by the certified divers on here, but I really wanted to try it, and figured I'd be fine if I could handle it.  Handled the pool fine, and headed out on the boat to a shipwreck.  The dive was in 40 ft of crystal clear water.  

Here's where it gets funky.  Jumped in the water, put my face in and grabbed the anchor rope, and FREAKED OUT.  I mean almost full blown panic attack.  Dive instructor told me quite forcefully, "Put your respirator in and get your ass down there."  Well, that worked.  Got to the bottom, and had a blast.  I loved it.  Got back on the boat and mentioned my freak out to another experienced diver, and he asked if I was afraid of heights.  Well yes, yes I am, horribly.  Makes sense now, in the clear water off Jamaica, it was like looking down a straight drop of 40 ft with nothing to stop me.  

Anyone else ever experience that?

Btw, I'd love to get certified, except that I'm in the middle of nowhere and the nearest place is an hour away, and I have nowhere to dive around here.  And my wife has no desire to try it...mild claustrophobia.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 3:17:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Time for another scuba diving thread! Because I'm just back from another scuba diving trip and I <3 scuba!

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn205/thecanuck11/forum%20pics/Smiley.gif

I love diving, and as much as I would like to dive Mexico, Chuuk (Truk Lagoon) and many other warm places, I really enjoy cold water diving
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 3:20:12 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
System runnin slow.

Those are awesome pictures you posted, what were you shooting with and what depth. Last time I took a picture underwater the technology and strobes were primitive to say the least.

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 3:30:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

That goes for pretty much everything, actually

Yeah, its just alot easier to do with a rebreather compared to an open circuit setup, though I guess the newer ones have all sorts of fancy shit on em to keep you from doing it.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 3:32:09 PM EDT
[#41]
I started spearfishing a lot in Florida and went to freediving but still enjoy SCUBA.I got my open water and advanced open water certification years ago.Hope to move onto a Trawler in about a year and dive regular again.Marathon and Marquesas are my favorite hunting grounds!Check out SPEARBOARD.COM if your interested in any form of diving!I love spearfishing and lobstering in the lower keys.My tradition is to get to Marathon get set up at our rental,run out to Moser channel,spear snapper and grouper,come back to dock and cook in tinfoil on boat with onion,pepper,everglades seasoning,buttter with captain morgan rum!!THEN its captain morgan TATTOO rum and a BLACK PEARL MORADO cigar!Watch sunset and repeat on rum and cigar!
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 3:32:13 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
So I guess I'll ask about this here instead of starting my own thread about it.  I've been diving once, on our honeymoon in Jamaica.  They offered a free dive if you're not certified, you do this 3 hour course and dive in a pool first.  Yeah, I'm sure it's poo-pooed by the certified divers on here, but I really wanted to try it, and figured I'd be fine if I could handle it.  Handled the pool fine, and headed out on the boat to a shipwreck.  The dive was in 40 ft of crystal clear water.  

Here's where it gets funky.  Jumped in the water, put my face in and grabbed the anchor rope, and FREAKED OUT.  I mean almost full blown panic attack.  Dive instructor told me quite forcefully, "Put your respirator in and get your ass down there."  Well, that worked.  Got to the bottom, and had a blast.  I loved it.  Got back on the boat and mentioned my freak out to another experienced diver, and he asked if I was afraid of heights.  Well yes, yes I am, horribly.  Makes sense now, in the clear water off Jamaica, it was like looking down a straight drop of 40 ft with nothing to stop me.  

Anyone else ever experience that?

That my friend is called perceptional narrowing and it will kill you if you are by yourself your instructor was an asshole who did not have the background or sense to care for your safety. As a Padi master instructor I'm furious when I hear about these incidents,we used to call these dives intro to death. With scuba you are not made aware of most of the dangers you are taught basic skills for basic dives as an open water diver stay within your limits and you will have a blast, get cocky and think you know it all your headed for trouble. No disrespect intended towards you but outside the us they don't care they have no liability if something happens to you your just a number that's it. Their are good shops but the bad outweighs the good, Ivie heard of intro classes to 100 ft thru a wreck in silt out conditions. Depth should be limited on these experiences and the ratios of instructor to student should be small and they should be in the water. People die all the time in less than twenty feet of water get training and be safe and enjoy a great sport.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 3:35:52 PM EDT
[#43]
I've snorkeled in Palau, Hawaii, Fiji, Tahiti, and Cancun/Cozumel and Catalina.

I still may go SCUBA but I've had ear issues.

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 3:36:43 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

21 dives. So you have pissed in your wet suit 42 times so far.

Canada is why they made dry suits.  Fng cold.  Best dive to date was one off Myrtle Beach.  Went out on the USS Governor, scavenged some parts of 1853 Enfield Rifles that were in crates.  St Lawrence waterway is neat.  Lots of wooden ships on the bottom there. Zebra mussels all over them though.

Been blown off the U352 several times.  I want to see what is left of it before is rots apart.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 4:10:21 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Shut up

Weight belt ?   Nobody uses a weight belt anymore...weight integrated BC is the shit......

I use a Sherwood Axis weight integrated bc
Quoted:

I'm advanced open water and EANx certified
Quoted:

Wife and I went down the St. Croix last summer, the diving was better than expected then again anywhere in the Caribbean is great. My wife is pregnant so no diving trips anytime soon, well at least not for her but we want to go to the place below.

Wakatobi Dive Resort

I'd love to go on the Pelagian!

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 4:14:04 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn205/thecanuck11/forum%20pics/Smiley.gif

I love diving, and as much as I would like to dive Mexico, Chuuk (Truk Lagoon) and many other warm places, I really enjoy cold water diving
Truk Lagoon is on my bucket list but I feel the wrecks are a bit too deep to fully enjoy on just air, so I'll wait until I have more experience and get tec certified and maybe rebreather certified. If you want to do cold water diving, get your ass up here, plenty of that around

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 4:15:36 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Shut up

Quoted:
Quoted:

Wakatobi Dive Resort

The prices for the all-inclusive pacakage is really reasonable but the airfare there costs almost as much as a week per person. We may not make it this year but will defiantly shoot for next.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 4:16:59 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

its like ice fishing you just cut a hole in the ice and dive in.

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 4:19:43 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Shut up

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wakatobi Dive Resort

The prices for the all-inclusive pacakage is really reasonable but the airfare there costs almost as much as a week per person. We may not make it this year but will defiantly shoot for next.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Awesome! Let me know what you think of the place and the diving!

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 4:22:53 PM EDT
[#50]

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top