Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/20/2005 9:54:27 PM EDT
I couldn't believe it.  He's my friend, I've known him for years and years, and drive an extra hour and a half every day to take his class.  He's a really good teacher.  Today, though, TSHTF.  I could smell the booze from the second row, he was slurring and stumbling, could barely hold on to his chalk, his picture of a heart on the board looked like a bowl of dog food, and he couldn't hold a coherent thought at all.

It was a disaster.

He's my friend though, and I had to help him out.  This was the clutch and I wanted to help him cover his ass.  I got him outside the classroom and told him the jig was up.  The whole class knew something was up, maybe half of them didn't quite know, and maybe we could get this undercover and get back to class tomorrow and he'd still have his job and we'd get our EMT cards and figure out how to put this together.  Hey, you ate some bad shellfish and your stomach is going to explode.  Everybody gets sick from time to time.  Call the class done for the night and I'll give you a ride home, or to the bars, or out to a restaurant, or catch a movie so you don't have to go home to your wife and kids for a couple hours.

No, he says, I'm OK and he steeled up his backbone and proceeded to talk complete gibberish and wave his arms around for another half an hour.  We got him to call a break and I rallied the class in the courtyard and basically laid it out for them.  You guys all hit the road, I'll clean up EVERYTHING tonight, and we'll get our cards on time.

90% dispersed.  One guy decided to hang around and pull the Good Samaritan and wait it out... the chick that wanted to bone him hung in there too, and a couple other rubberneckers decided to watch the meltdown continue.  Fuckers.  If they'd have gone, I could have bundled this up and made it happen.

Somebody that left called 5-0 and they got there in a couple minutes to drag him away.  65 is no time to be trying to start a new career and keep up the house payments.  I am so sorry for him, this is probably going to be a dealbreaker at the school, maybe with his EMT job as well...

What a shame.  I know, I know, he brought it all on himself, and that's true.  He made his bed, so to speak.  He's my friend, though, and it SUCKS watching it go down that way.  Dammit.

<We don't have any form of the F-word in thread titles.  --tbk1>

ETA:  Got the word last night that class is on today at the usual time, same room, same instructor.  Wow.  Craaaaaaazy.  I haven't talked to him since I got the news, haven't spoken with my classmates, nothing.  Well, it's about time for me to head to class...

Link Posted: 9/20/2005 9:57:27 PM EDT
[#1]
dude.....   this sux
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 9:58:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Is this type of behavior normal for him?  Sounds almost as if checking in and cleaning up may be more important than that new job.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 9:58:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Did he do this in class

Link Posted: 9/20/2005 10:01:17 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

What a shame.  I know, I know, he brought it all on himself, and that's true.  He made his bed, so to speak.  He's my friend, though, and it SUCKS watching it go down that way.  Dammit.

AS a friend I TOTALLY understand where you are coming from but has he done this before? IF he has than covering it up like you wanted to wouldnt have done him ANY good... kind of enabling him.

But if this was a ONE time thing then NO the cops shouldnt have been called and yes, this is gonna fuck him good.

Getting in trouble can be a blessing in disguise... as I said though... ONLY if this is an ongoing problem.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 10:05:01 PM EDT
[#5]
So what was he arrested for?  Public Intoxication?  Sounds like the cops could've handled it differently too!  What a waste of taxpayer $.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 10:07:56 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
So what was he arrested for?  Public Intoxication?  Sounds like the cops could've handled it differently too!  What a waste of taxpayer $.

I was going to ask what piqued the 5-0's interest
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 10:11:03 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

AS a friend I TOTALLY understand where you are coming from but has he done this before? IF he has than covering it up like you wanted to wouldnt have done him ANY good... kind of enabling him.

But if this was a ONE time thing then NO the cops shouldnt have been called and yes, this is gonna fuck him good.

Getting in trouble can be a blessing in disguise... as I said though... ONLY if this is an ongoing problem.

You know that occurred to me.  Maybe it isn't what should be done, but he's my friend and that's the end of that.  Bottom line is that it was time for me to make a decision and I choose my friends over anything else.  If he f@#ks up again it's on him, but on MY watch, he gets one big huge enormous mistake for free and I'll do anything I can do to get him home OK.  We can figure out what to do in the morning.

Also, if he wouldn't have given up his keys I'd have beat his a$$ to a pulp and taken them away, period.  There's NO WAY he was going to get on the road that night.  No judgement call necessary, he was obviously, totally, completely shizzolated.

I don't know.  I did what I could short of violence to keep him from going back into the classroom.  I'm kind of regretting it now.  I should have shot him one across the jaw and thrown him into the passenger seat and headed for Parts Unknown for a while.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 10:12:26 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was going to ask what piqued the 5-0's interest

My thought also, if he wasn't getting in a car at the time, what was the problem?

Besides not being professional at the time of course.

GM
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 10:13:49 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Just got off the phone with him.  He's not going to jail.  His wife's coming to pick him up.  Somebody from class called and fingered him.  I know who it was, too.  I know exactly who it was.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 10:21:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 10:24:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Were they cops or campus security?
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 10:30:02 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You know that occurred to me.  Maybe it isn't what should be done, but he's my friend and that's the end of that.  Bottom line is that it was time for me to make a decision and I choose my friends over anything else.  If he f@#ks up again it's on him, but on MY watch, he gets one big huge enormous mistake for free and I'll do anything I can do to get him home OK.  We can figure out what to do in the morning.

Also, if he wouldn't have given up his keys I'd have beat his a$$ to a pulp and taken them away, period.  There's NO WAY he was going to get on the road that night.  No judgement call necessary, he was obviously, totally, completely shizzolated.

I don't know.  I did what I could short of violence to keep him from going back into the classroom.  I'm kind of regretting it now.  I should have shot him one across the jaw and thrown him into the passenger seat and headed for Parts Unknown for a while.

DO NOT beat yourself up over this... Not to sound cliche but hindsight IS 20/20. You did what was right at that EXACT moment. Remember, YOU did not shove the drinks down his throat. If this is the ONLY occurance... then what a way to scare the shit out of him ... if this is ongoing... then once again, what a way to scare the shit out of him.

The one who ratted him out... well before you jump down his/her throat... relax bro... a "thanks" may be in order rather than a shot to his mug. that person may have just saved your friend's life.

Im just going on what I am gathering from your story... im not jumping to ANY conclusions other than  you are a good friend for being concerned. Most would have walked away or stayed to watch the circus.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 10:39:37 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Were they cops or campus security?

It was the police.  It looks like he's going home with his wife, who I haven't met.  It doesn't look like criminal charges are not being filed.  Ten of us that stuck around got the phone numbers of the head of the EMS program and the Administration officials and whatnot and will be putting in a good word for him tomorrow.  When the badge showed up he went as peaceful as a lamb, it's just not in him to do anything else.  25 years experience as an EMT, because he loved it.  He just wanted to help.  He had a kit in his car and stopped at every collision he found.

He told me a story once about how he got involved in EMS.  It was at a Navy Airshow somewhere.  Two cars headed opposite directions and somebody was looking out the window at a couple planes or something, and had a two-car collision with multiple fatalities.  He immediately ran to the scene and sized it up and held some poor bastard's busted-open head together til 911 showed up.  He worked alongside them that day, and they begged him to stay because he kept his cool amidst the gore and the death.  He is one coolheaded sumbeeyotch when it comes down to it and he performed under pressure.  The bug bit him and he stayed with it for 25 years for a lousy $9 an hour because he loved it.  He saved people's lives.  Over the years, he saved hundreds and hundreds of people's lives.

I'm so sad tonight.  I hate seeing my friends go down like that.  Dammit.  He's got a heart as big as Texas, too.  He'd pull out his eyeteeth rather than hurt anyone, but he just has a thing for the sauce.  I wish I would have just chickenwinged him and just got outta there.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 10:41:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 10:42:16 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I couldn't believe it.  He's my friend, I've known him for years and years, and drive an extra hour and a half every day to take his class.  He's a really good teacher.  Today, though, TSHTF.  I could smell the booze from the second row, he was slurring and stumbling, could barely hold on to his chalk, his picture of a heart on the board looked like a bowl of dog food, and he couldn't hold a coherent thought at all.

It was a disaster.

He's my friend though, and I had to help him out.  This was the clutch and I wanted to help him cover his ass.  I got him outside the classroom and told him the jig was up.  The whole class knew something was up, maybe half of them didn't quite know, and maybe we could get this undercover and get back to class tomorrow and he'd still have his job and we'd get our EMT cards and figure out how to put this together.  Hey, you ate some bad shellfish and your stomach is going to explode.  Everybody gets sick from time to time.  Call the class done for the night and I'll give you a ride home, or to the bars, or out to a restaurant, or catch a movie so you don't have to go home to your wife and kids for a couple hours.

No, he says, I'm OK and he steeled up his backbone and proceeded to talk complete gibberish and wave his arms around for another half an hour.  We got him to call a break and I rallied the class in the courtyard and basically laid it out for them.  You guys all hit the road, I'll clean up EVERYTHING tonight, and we'll get our cards on time.

90% dispersed.  One guy decided to hang around and pull the Good Samaritan and wait it out... the chick that wanted to bone him hung in there too, and a couple other rubberneckers decided to watch the meltdown continue.  Fuckers.  If they'd have gone, I could have bundled this up and made it happen.

Somebody that left called 5-0 and they got there in a couple minutes to drag him away.  65 is no time to be trying to start a new career and keep up the house payments.  I am so sorry for him, this is probably going to be a dealbreaker at the school, maybe with his EMT job as well...

Hmm, and where do you go to EMT school?
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 10:46:44 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
sigh

WHAT DID THEY TAKE HIM FOR?

I dunno.  He didn't say, and I didn't crowd up the car.  I guess I'll find out tomorrow.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 10:48:30 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
sigh

There was no law broken...
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 10:51:43 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

It was a disaster.

I really feel for this guy and believe it or not this happens alot.

The way things have been going down these days I understand
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 11:04:14 PM EDT
[#19]
There's something just not quite right about this story.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 11:05:08 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 11:14:58 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

He didn't break a law unless he drove during the class or did something illegal.

Why could somebody call the cops and have something done?

Unprofessional, but not illegal to be drunk during class.

You are a poor witness

GM
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 11:21:33 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I say that everytime I open a thread on this forum.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 2:20:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Bump with update
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 2:26:23 PM EDT
[#24]
'Why did the haul him away?' tag
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 2:34:17 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
'Why did the haul him away?' tag

I couldn't tell you.  I guess they might have thought he could get violent with the campus administrator.  I could be wrong about saying the student called the police, it might have been the administration that called for a little backup.  I don't know, I wasn't within earshot so this is all just speculation.  I already know that I don't know why.... I don't want to just make something up and say here's how it went down... but a cop was there.  He got in the back seat and it looks like they just gave him a ride across the parking lot to the administration building.  

ETA:  I bet if I ask him he won't remember.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 1:46:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Well for those masterminds that need some memory assistance

647.  Every person who commits any of the following acts is guilty
of disorderly conduct, a misdemeanor:

(f) Who is found in any public place under the influence of
intoxicating liquor, any drug, controlled substance, toluene, or any
combination of any intoxicating liquor, drug, controlled substance,
or toluene, in a condition that he or she is unable to exercise care
for his or her own safety or the safety of others, or by reason of
his or her being under the influence of intoxicating liquor, any
drug, controlled substance, toluene, or any combination of any
intoxicating liquor, drug, or toluene, interferes with or obstructs
or prevents the free use of any street, sidewalk, or other public
way.
  (g) When a person has violated subdivision (f), a peace officer,
if he or she is reasonably able to do so, shall place the person, or
cause him or her to be placed, in civil protective custody.  The
person shall be taken to a facility, designated pursuant to Section
5170 of the Welfare and Institutions Code, for the 72-hour treatment
and evaluation of inebriates.  A peace officer may place a person in
civil protective custody with that kind and degree of force which
would be lawful were he or she effecting an arrest for a misdemeanor
without a warrant.  No person who has been placed in civil protective
custody shall thereafter be subject to any criminal prosecution or
juvenile court proceeding based on the facts giving rise to this
placement.  This subdivision shall not apply to the following
persons:
  (1) Any person who is under the influence of any drug, or under
the combined influence of intoxicating liquor and any drug.
  (2) Any person who a peace officer has probable cause to believe
has committed any felony, or who has committed any misdemeanor in
addition to subdivision (f).
  (3) Any person who a peace officer in good faith believes will
attempt escape or will be unreasonably difficult for medical
personnel to control.

But if he was at a school, the administration likely decided based on past experience that having a policeman there was not a bad idea.   People in his condition sometimes do like he did and go calmy, some go ballistic.    Doesn't sound like he was arrested, just taken to a place where his wife could come get him.

In any case he is in shit city with the school.  Luckily schools tend to be infested with liberal do-gooders who will likely give him another chance if he wants help.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top