Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/26/2002 1:46:21 PM EDT
So I applied for a job down there, (two, acutally) and want to know what's up with the area.  Is it nice?  Is it burned down? what's a decent neighboorhood that's pretty nice around there?  Thanks...still in the looking phases, I'm not moving yet.  
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 1:54:05 PM EDT
[#1]
I have heard that there is a bitchin gun club there. And the premire polymer AR manufacturer in the world is close by. I'm not really shre if the have any "Gravy Shakes" franchises there though.
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 1:59:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Arizona has good laws (for the most part) so you can't go wrong there.  Scottsdale is an upper class suburb of Phoenix so it's a nice place if you like living amongst others.  I kind of hate Phoenix but if it means you're going to be getting out of Kalifornia it's gotta be good right?  Just don't drink the water or eat the rabbits!
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 2:05:48 PM EDT
[#3]
welcome (maybe) to AZ. North Scottsdale is very very nice. id stay east valley if you come out , north east phnx. scottsdale, tempe, mesa. North Scottsdale can be pricey and youll get more house for your money elsewhere.
good luck!!
p.s.
ive been here since i left the Army 9 years ago and i love it here, and no scottsdale isnt burned down, the wildfires are over 100 miles away.
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 2:09:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'm not really shre if the have any "Gravy Shakes" franchises there though.
View Quote

I'll live....healthier....

Someone the other day mentioned Chandler was a nice part.  Any other parts too look at for houses?
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 2:11:51 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm assuming you're looking for places in the Phoenix area?

And what the hell is a gravy shake?
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 4:34:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
And what the hell is a gravy shake?
View Quote

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=125910[/url]
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 4:53:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 6:09:30 PM EDT
[#8]
sfoo: For some reason my computer wouldn't pull up your profile, so I'll have to possibly make the mistake of assuming you may be in San Francisco or the Bay area. This statement IS NOT intended to portray ALL the residents of Scottsdale, AZ. Sooo...SCOTTSDALE: If you are in the Bay area, and want to continue to pay way too much to rent or own a house, and continue to live amongst snobby, stuck-up, pretentious and materialistic people, Scottsdale is just your city. I work there, and that's all I want to have to do with the place. Fortunately, it's only for two more days, then I'm self employed. The east side of Phoenix, well, let's just say that there is far more gang activity over there (Mesa, Chandler, Gilbert) than the west side. The west-northwest side isn't perfect, hell we have Maryvale, but it's better than the east side. Check the AZ Republic on Wednesdays and they have the crime report. You be the judge. The highways over there are also on a constant state of "working on" so traffic can be a cast-iron bitch. If you go farther east than, say, Gilbert, the crime rate isn't so bad but it'll take you forever to commute to work. I live 13 miles from Snobbsdale and it takes me 30 min, doesn't matter if it's surface streets or highway. If I were you, I'd look to move to the northwest side of Phoenix. BTW, what makes me an authority on how the Bay area is? 2 years in San Mateo, 1 year Walnut Creek, 1 year Millbrae, 1 year Moss Beach, 3 years Montara.
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 6:24:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
SCOTTSDALE: I live 13 miles from Snobbsdale and it takes me 30 min, doesn't matter if it's surface streets or highway.
View Quote

that's better than bay area traffic nowadays...

If I were you, I'd look to move to the northwest side of Phoenix.
View Quote

This is the kind of stuff I'd like to know.  

BTW, what makes me an authority on how the Bay area is? 2 years in San Mateo, 1 year Walnut Creek, 1 year Millbrae, 1 year Moss Beach, 3 years Montara.
View Quote

Where in the Creek did you live?  And I used to commute from Martinez to San Mateo (yech) for a year.  Never do that again....
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 6:28:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
sfoo: For some reason my computer wouldn't pull up your profile, so I'll have to possibly make the mistake of assuming you may be in San Francisco or the Bay area. This statement IS NOT intended to portray ALL the residents of Scottsdale, AZ. Sooo...SCOTTSDALE: If you are in the Bay area, and want to continue to pay way too much to rent or own a house, and continue to live amongst snobby, stuck-up, pretentious and materialistic people, Scottsdale is just your city. I work there, and that's all I want to have to do with the place. Fortunately, it's only for two more days, then I'm self employed. The east side of Phoenix, well, let's just say that there is far more gang activity over there (Mesa, Chandler, Gilbert) than the west side. The west-northwest side isn't perfect, hell we have Maryvale, but it's better than the east side. Check the AZ Republic on Wednesdays and they have the crime report. You be the judge. The highways over there are also on a constant state of "working on" so traffic can be a cast-iron bitch. If you go farther east than, say, Gilbert, the crime rate isn't so bad but it'll take you forever to commute to work. I live 13 miles from Snobbsdale and it takes me 30 min, doesn't matter if it's surface streets or highway. If I were you, I'd look to move to the northwest side of Phoenix. BTW, what makes me an authority on how the Bay area is? 2 years in San Mateo, 1 year Walnut Creek, 1 year Millbrae, 1 year Moss Beach, 3 years Montara.
View Quote

Dude, Gamesniper is right on the money! Snobbsdale indeed. Did he mention the drivers are real A$$holes? I almost got killed there MANY times. I'm in Phoenix,(NW Phx) It's ok here. I bought my houes in '89 for 55K, now it's worth about 125k.[:D] I'ts a buyers market too.
AB
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 6:29:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Dude!  Don't know what your standards of living are but "SNOTTSDALE" is on the Higher side of town..   Don't know much about the west side but Chandler is still pretty decent...
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 6:33:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Your best bet (money and safety wise) would be to build in a newer area..  Takes more years to become infested with gangs and dogs..
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 6:34:33 PM EDT
[#13]
I used to live in Northwest Phoenix (Bell and 42nd Ave, which is just a street over from being Glendale). I never had any problems nor did I see much gang activity or other crimes (other than traffic related.) I lived in a small apartment and I had all I needed (except for a shooting range) within a two blocks. If I'd had a car back then I would have been 20 minutes away from Ben Avery Shooting Range (just take I-17 North).
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 6:35:25 PM EDT
[#14]
OK, if it wasn't clear enough, the JOB i applied for it in Scottsdale, and I want to know where around there (NOT IN Scottsdale) is a decent place to live.  So yeah, Scottsdale==too expensive, and probably not the kind of neighboors who would like me cleaning my new 50 cal once a week on the front porch.  How's that?  On the other hand, I don't want to have to worry about someone trying to steal my new 50 once I move, either.

Right now, I leave patio furniture and my BBQ (with tools) out front on the patio and they've been fine for over 2 years.  That's the kind of place I'd like to move to.  
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 6:38:52 PM EDT
[#15]
no one has patios out front here...   Everyone hides in their back yards, behind walls..
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 6:41:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
no one has patios out front here...   Everyone hides in their back yards, behind walls..
View Quote

Yeah, here too, I just got lucky and have a front deck (patio...whatever) where I can keep some stuff.
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 6:57:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Hey sfoo,

Just got back from visiting my cousins there this weekend.  One lives in the south Phoenix Ahwatukee (sp?) area west of Chandler.  Seemed much nicer than Chandler.  Their neighborhood is nice and safe, but there is a butt load of traffic there as the whole development has about one way out.  Close to the airport too.

My other cousin lives in north phoenix, can't remember the area but it is close to Scottsdale.  They live in a relatively new development and it is really cool. They have a huge one story and a pool and the neighborhood is very safe from what they tell me.

One thing is that there are strip malls everywhere.  My friend who lives there calls it "plastic living".  But I think it is awesome. Just about every convinience is right there.

See my thread about driving there: [url]www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=127212[/url]

It does get very hot there, but it was almost 110 this weekend and it seemed OK to me.  Not really bad at all.

One other thing:
[img]groups.msn.com/_Secure/0OwAAAK4UuV!r7XAYZTZ73U5OrNASn613uwBAaRQcQRrC*PdO*jCImwMtF76IAxgXzG0X!lF0ygd8NRoTdQhPTgwAQEe1PC!A/Scorpion-close.JPG[/img]

They don't phase my cousins much, but damn, that ain't no spider.  Just would hate to have to keep watching my step even in my own house.

Good luck with the job hunt sfoo.
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 7:10:47 PM EDT
[#18]
sfoo
Feel free to e-mail me. Give me particulars as far as job location. If your North Scottsdale then by all means North Central Phoenix is the tops...As far as I'm concerned...10 yrs here.

As far as Scorpions are concerned...I've not seen one here...However too many to count in Texas!!!

The Chandler & Gilbert area is growing so fast that I can imagine the Scorpion problem is growing with the building of that area.

BTW: Mesa/Tempe are too liberal for me [:D]
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 8:09:50 PM EDT
[#19]
We don't have scorpions in Scottsdale. They're not "allowed".[;D]

coyote3
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 8:49:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Somebody should probably let you know:

Scottsdale is the gay capital of the SouthWest.  The place is crawling with homos.  Not just garden variety queers either, but mean aggressive leg humpin' fags.  A lot of them wear pink Wrangler jeans and sequined cowboy boots.  You can see them hanging out at a place called Mandall's on Scottsdale Road.  

Be careful, carry a big stick or a can of mace in case you need to beat one down

They're everywhere in that town.  Decent people don't go there anymore.
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 8:57:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Scottsdale is the gay capital of the SouthWest.
View Quote

Hm, nothing can be as bad as SF.  So no worries there.  Remember....job in Scottsdale, so where else do i live?
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 9:08:28 PM EDT
[#22]
check out NE Phoenix, lots of newer houses and only a 10 minute drive on the 101 freeway, I live in north central phx and work in north Scottsdale 15 minutes tops on the drive and 15 minutes from the range on the north side of town
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 9:10:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Somebody should probably let you know:

Scottsdale is the gay capital of the SouthWest.  The place is crawling with homos.  Not just garden variety queers either, but mean aggressive leg humpin' fags.  A lot of them wear pink Wrangler jeans and sequined cowboy boots.  [red]You can see them hanging out at a place called Mandall's on Scottsdale Road.[/red]
View Quote

ROFLMAO!! [:O]

[b]sfoo[/b] you gotta be from round these parts to appreciate that one.

Good build-up [b]RC[/b], great punchline.
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 9:14:21 PM EDT
[#24]
North Central Phoenix is the place to be. With the 101 loop now completed, you can get anywhere within 30 minutes (at 2am on a Tuesday morning!). There are some nice neighborhoods north of the 101 on Tatum. Stay out of Scottsdale and Paradise Valley, mainly run and populated by ex liberal Californians disgusted by how much they screwed up the place.
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 9:14:57 PM EDT
[#25]
I have lived in Az for almost 20 years now. I have lived here in chandler now for 6 years. I have NEVER seen a scorpion in Chandler. I have seen them damn near everywhere else though, dont know why this is. But if your moving to Az from Kali im sure you will like it. Chandler is a very nice area most of the homes are less than 5 years old. Mesa has some nice areas too. Scottsdale really is an overpriced area, Gas, Food, and everything else are a bit more expensive not to mention the homes. If you want to build a big home look into the Cave Creek area. Its just a half hour from Phoenix Via I-10. Most of the homes are acre lots so your neighbors arent too close. What kind of price range home are you looking for?
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 9:16:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
[red]You can see them hanging out at a place called Mandall's on Scottsdale Road.[/red]
View Quote

View Quote

What, is that where the Cav Bunch hangs out?
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 9:17:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
[red]You can see them hanging out at a place called Mandall's on Scottsdale Road.[/red]
View Quote

View Quote

What, is that where the Cav Bunch hangs out?
View Quote

[stick]

ouch!

No, Mandall's is where you go to look but never buy. Good indoor range and huge selection - but bring your VISA - cause you ain't NEVER gonna have enough cash to walk out of there with a decent gun!

Edited to add: If you want to make ANY other gunstore owner in the Valley roll his eyes and guffaw, just say you're thinking of going to Mandall's to buy your gun.
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 9:27:41 PM EDT
[#28]
FNG- I took that picture Monday morning as we were leaving my cousins house, it was on the wall next to the stairs.  They live in that Awahtukee (?) place which is pretty near Chandler.  They are next to the hills though.

My other cousin lives of Tatum, thanks for the reminder Hagar.  It was a really nice area, you might want to look there sfoo.
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 9:27:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Visited Scottsdale only once, and that was for a wedding.
Challenging (golf) course.  "Out of bounds" means rocky desert and cacti.  Lots of rabbits and quail.  Saw one roadrunner.
Got a good impression of the people and of the general attitude, but do think that the service at the hotel was, if you'll allow, sub-par.
Good food, opulent accomodations, but less than perfect service.
Those guys sure are big on these misting hoses that overhang the balconies.
Liked, but didn't love the area.
Maybe I'm just not fit for the desert.
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 6:03:00 AM EDT
[#30]
Those guys sure are big on these misting hoses that overhang the balconies.

That's because there'd be law suits regarding heat stroke cases if we didn't have them!
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 9:08:51 AM EDT
[#31]
Hey FNG!

Is that you, Brad (formerly of Caswell's)?

It is I, Alan. Have not seen you around. Where'd you go?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top