Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/19/2005 9:30:52 AM EDT
Can i use this type of scope on my Black Diamond?

http://www.skdtac.com/item.asp?ItemID=SKD2002&PRICE=476&CategoryNum=74

I have a scope on there now but it is a reg. sized scope.   I get target panic when i shoot it because i am afraid the scope will hit my eye.  Without the scope i shoot it very well.  I would like to keep a scope on the gun.  Do you think a scope like the one above will work on my Black Diamond?  Do you think the recoil of the .50cal will be to much and throw the dot or crosshairs off inside the scope.  Thanks for the input.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 9:33:57 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Can i use this type of scope on my Black Diamond?

http://www.skdtac.com/item.asp?ItemID=SKD2002&PRICE=476&CategoryNum=74

I have a scope on there now but it is a reg. sized scope.   I get target panic when i shoot it because i am afraid the scope will hit my eye.  Without the scope i shoot it very well.  I would like to keep a scope on the gun.  Do you think a scope like the one above will work on my Black Diamond?  Do you think the recoil of the .50cal will be to much and throw the dot or crosshairs off inside the scope.  Thanks for the input.

That's not target panic', that's a good old-fashioned FLINCH.

Target panic is something that archers have to deal with as they get older. Completely different phenomena.

At any rate, try a scope with more eye relief.

I'm a huge fan of Leupold riflescopes - partly because of their relatively long eye relief.

And FWIW, the vast, vast, vast majority of people mount their riflescopes too far to the rear, for no good reason that I can find. Some blackpowder rifles make the problem worse due to the lack of mounting options for some of them.

YMMV, of course.

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 9:39:11 AM EDT
[#2]
I like the small scope the are usually used on the ARs.  Easier to get on target in the woods at long distances.  Have  Leupold scope on there now.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 9:45:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 9:51:24 AM EDT
[#4]

Thanks for th input
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 10:00:45 AM EDT
[#5]
If scopes are smackin' you in the eye, you have a problem.  Sounds like a case of having the scope too far back in the rings, or very very poor shooting positioning (creeping the stock).

Get some good solid mounts and bases.  Take nearly any scope you want, and set it in the rings fairly far forward.  In my case, most scopes are as far forward as the rings will permit.  You'll have no real problems.

I'm shooting a Leupold VariX III 1.75 to 6 on a Remington Model Seven in .308.  Light rifle, small scope, and heavy 180 308 loads mean fairly sharp recoil.  The scope never even comes close to my face...

I also have a Bushnell Elite 4200 in 1.6-6 on a Remington 673 in 350 Remington Magnum.  I'm launching 225 and 250 bullets at fairly impressive velocities, and I'm generating more power than most of the belted magnums out there.  No scope problems

Also using a Weaver Grandslam 1.5-5x on a T/C G2 Contender Carbine in .45x209.  Launchin 225 bullets over 100 grains of powder out of a very light little carbine makes for some eyeopening recoil, but again the scope never comes near the face.

If your scopes are set up right, and you aren't creeping the stock (many people do when shooting prone or over a bench) you'll never have a problem.

For what it's worth, the little Weaver Grandslam in 1.5-5 is an excellent little Muzzleloader scope.  Avoid cheap scope like the clap.

Frozenny
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 10:08:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Get a scope with more eye relief.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 10:11:57 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
If scopes are smackin' you in the eye, you have a problem.  Sounds like a case of having the scope too far back in the rings, or very very poor shooting positioning (creeping the stock).

The scope is not hitting my eye.  The problem is just before i shoot i have the habit of pulling my face back a little which throws the gun off.  I can't get it out of my mind that i will not get hit even though i know i will not.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 10:36:38 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The scope is not hitting my eye.  The problem is just before i shoot i have the habit of pulling my face back a little which throws the gun off.  I can't get it out of my mind that i will not get hit even though i know i will not.

Going to a different optic may remedy the symptoms, but it will not cure the real problem.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top