Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/22/2020 12:12:56 PM
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/19/2015 5:12:15 PM EST
http://www.bbc.com/news/health-30742774

Rapid progress in genetics is making "designer babies" more likely and society needs to be prepared, leading scientists have told the BBC.

Dr Tony Perry, a pioneer in cloning, has announced precise DNA editing at the moment of conception in mice.

He said huge advances in the past two years meant "designer babies" were no longer HG Wells territory.

Other leading scientists and bioethicists argue it is time for a serious public debate on the issue.

Designer babies - genetically modified for beauty, intelligence or to be free of disease - have long been a topic of science fiction.

Dr Perry, who was part of the teams to clone the first mice and pigs, said the prospect was still fiction, but science was rapidly catching up to make elements of it possible.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:13:40 PM EST
People are already bitchin about 1% ers what happens when there are .001% that are richer and 5 times smarter and better looking?
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:14:56 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/19/2015 5:15:07 PM EST by Angel_King]
More redheads please.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:18:07 PM EST
If abortion is OK, then so is picking sex, eye color, etc.

But people being people, get ready for a crop of pre-tanned duck-faced monsters.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:19:50 PM EST
Scientists playing God . Should work out great.

Fucking morons.

Fertility testing, clomid, artificial insemination... Ok, but what have we as the human race become when we start genetic engineering babies.

Disgusting
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:21:48 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/19/2015 5:22:01 PM EST by Keekleberrys]
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:22:35 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/19/2015 5:23:26 PM EST by Visionary]
I agree with it for the purposes of preventing disease, birth defects, genetic disorders, homosexuality, autism etc. I don't agree with it if they're simply trying to make sure the kid is a stunningly good looking, athletic superstar who also has 140 IQ. Basically I don't believe that it should be used to give the kids of the rich another unfair advantage over their peers.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:23:59 PM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Keekleberrys:

Yeah we wouldn't want to eliminate or reduce the chances of debilitating disease or anything. Like Down's, ALS, MS, Alzheimers, etc.

It's the natural progression of medical science.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By tactical221:

Fucking morons.

Fertility testing, clomid, artificial insemination... Ok, but what have we as the human race become when we start genetic engineering babies.

Disgusting

Yeah we wouldn't want to eliminate or reduce the chances of debilitating disease or anything. Like Down's, ALS, MS, Alzheimers, etc.

Im ok w eliminating natural born diseases, but we should not be picking traits to enhance ourselves.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:25:01 PM EST
Originally Posted By BladedRonin:

Im ok w eliminating natural born diseases, but we should not be picking traits to enhance ourselves.
View All Quotes

Fucking morons.

Disgusting

Why not ?

I Would
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:27:54 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/19/2015 5:29:35 PM EST by Visionary]
Originally Posted By Typhoid70:

Why not ?

I Would
View All Quotes

Fucking morons.

Disgusting

Why not ?

I Would

Because it gives the children of the elite another huge advantage over their peers and leads to an actual caste system in which the elites actually ARE better and smarter than the rest of us at a genetic level. At that point it gets even harder to compete with the children of the elite for jobs and positions in govt.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:29:14 PM EST
I call the magneto gene.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:29:35 PM EST
Originally Posted By Visionary:
I agree with it for the purposes of preventing disease, birth defects, genetic disorders, homosexuality, autism etc. I don't agree with it if they're simply trying to make sure the kid is a stunningly good looking, athletic superstar who also has 140 IQ. Basically I don't believe that it should be used to give the kids of the rich another unfair advantage over their peers.
View Quote

Children of wealthy already have advantages of superior healthcare,nutrition,education,life experiences etc.

I have no problem with designer children. They may be the only hope of staving off Idiocracy.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:30:30 PM EST

Because it gives the children of the elite another huge advantage over their peers and leads to an actual caste system in which the elites actually ARE better and smarter than the rest of us at a genetic level. At that point it gets even harder to compete with the children of the elite for jobs and positions in govt.

View All Quotes

Fucking morons.

Disgusting

Why not ?

I Would

Oh well

Pick a better mate

Genetics can be cruel
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:32:43 PM EST
lol...

let me know when they find the 'motivation' gene.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:33:10 PM EST
I don't have a problem with it. I am looking forward to hearing what the anti-GMO granola hippies say about it, should be entertaining.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:33:35 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/19/2015 5:33:52 PM EST by Molotov357]
GATTACA
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:34:07 PM EST
Politically palatable eugenics
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:35:47 PM EST
Originally Posted By keroppl:
Politically palatable eugenics
View Quote

Instead of getting rid of the lumpenproles, we just tolerate them and move towards a higher class of human?

Maybe that's what we need?

Or do you want more morons rising to the top?
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:36:09 PM EST
Wasn't there some movie about this? The main character was not a designer baby, had aspirations for space travel but was physically unfit. He had to buy someone's identity (with their consent) along with their urine and blood for spot DNA tests.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:37:27 PM EST

View All Quotes

Fucking morons.

Disgusting

Why not ?

I Would

Seriously?!?!

Hahaha ...Yeah fuck humanity and science because you're too poor to afford it. They should make it illegal to be better, because then they won't be better than you.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:38:03 PM EST
Originally Posted By 4v50:
Wasn't there some movie about this? The main character was not a designer baby, had aspirations for space travel but was physically unfit. He had to buy someone's identity (with their consent) along with their urine and blood for spot DNA tests.
View Quote

Yeah kinda, GATTACA.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:38:39 PM EST
View Quote

There were a few actually.

Genetically engineered beings always end up being flawed due to human elements despite their intellect.

You can see that in the general human population. Some of the smartest people in the world are the most useless, some are the most destructive, and some just plain suck.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:39:38 PM EST
I wish they would hurry up with it and make it available to the general public. I heard about designer babies in sex ed back in the late 1980s. Plus I would like to have a kid that doesn't inherit my migraines, poor eye sight, allergies, and sleep apnea. The migraines are so bad that it would be cruel to pass them on to someone else.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:39:48 PM EST
I hate to say it, but I don't support denying people the ability to avoid genetic diseases.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:40:08 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/19/2015 5:40:30 PM EST by TooBigToFail]
Is there a gene that turns liberal leanings off? If so im behind it 100%.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:40:22 PM EST
Sure, why not?

It would be great if this technoogy can reduce genetic birth defects and I could care less if people want to use for other reasons...

... like male pattern baldness.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:40:49 PM EST
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:41:14 PM EST
Men have never been created equal. Something like this would only push the statistical significance high enough for modern conservatives to admit that their equality of opportunity is just as silly as liberals equality of results.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:41:25 PM EST
Originally Posted By TooBigToFail:
Is there a gene that turns liberal leanings off? If so im behind it 100%.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

It's called taxes.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:42:01 PM EST
This means Space Medicine may be a thing.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:42:34 PM EST

Genetically engineered beings always end up being flawed due to human elements despite their intellect.

You can see that in the general human population. Some of the smartest people in the world are the most useless, some are the most destructive, and some just plain suck.
View All Quotes

The movie would be awfully boring if a "perfect" being came out and led a normal life with exceedingly high success. *Yawn*

He'd just be rich, and humble, and quiet.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:43:48 PM EST
I did nazi this coming.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:44:01 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/19/2015 5:44:17 PM EST by SirSqueeboo]
There was an episode of Star Trek TNG revolving around this; it didn't work out too well.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:45:15 PM EST
Originally Posted By SirSqueeboo:
There was an episode of Star Trek TNG revolving around this; it didn't work out too well.
View Quote

KHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNN­NNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:45:42 PM EST
Originally Posted By SirSqueeboo:
View Quote

Scientists: we can make better people!

Arfcom: no! We need to make sure people stay stupid!
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:47:25 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/19/2015 5:48:21 PM EST by Yojimbo]
Kahn approves of this thread!

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:51:42 PM EST
Homosuperior
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:54:11 PM EST
Das Übermensch
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:55:37 PM EST
I would totally genetically alter my offspring.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:57:13 PM EST

Fucking morons.

Disgusting
View Quote

It's how we evolve.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:58:59 PM EST
Will GMO babies cause cancer?
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:59:15 PM EST
I don't think we should go there. Don't know completely why but my gut says no.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:00:50 PM EST
Be prepared for a given number of errors or screwups, producing a certain number of Adolf Hitler's, Charles Manson's, Barry Soetoro's and Kim Kardashian's.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:01:13 PM EST
Originally Posted By DarkCharisma:
I would totally genetically alter my offspring.
View Quote

Yeah I'm genetically pretty damn well off. Everything is of enviable traits that resist age.

But I would want my designer kid to have a huge dick so he can experience the life of having a huge dick that I missed out on.

I want to be able to tell him that he has it becUse I paid for it.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:01:21 PM EST
Excluding disease doesn't bother me.. synthetic chromosomes scare me. Now that's playing God.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:02:55 PM EST
Originally Posted By jungatheart:
I don't think we should go there. Don't know completely why but my gut says no.
View Quote

We already do if you think about it......

Look at Mexico for a good example.

Lots and lots of little pudgy Indians, some goofy looking mestizos in the middle class, and an upper class elite made up of European white elites.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:03:20 PM EST
Originally Posted By MMcCall:
Excluding disease doesn't bother me.. synthetic chromosomes scare me. Now that's playing God.
View Quote

That's playing superhero
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:03:48 PM EST

It's how we evolve.
View All Quotes

Fucking morons.

Disgusting

It's how we evolve.

It's not evolution. Evolution is when we "evolve" over time as a species. This is forced genetic alteration.

You want to cure diseases.. Fine. But when you start altering genetic sequencing so that your kid has blond hair, blue eyes, the sex, or aborting because you don't like what you got then you are playing God.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:04:38 PM EST

It's not evolution. Evolution is when we "evolve" over time as a species. This is forced genetic alteration.

You want to cure diseases.. Fine. But when you start altering genetic sequencing so that your kid has blond hair, blue eyes, the sex, or aborting because you don't like what you got then you are playing God.
View All Quotes

Fucking morons.

Disgusting

It's how we evolve.

No you are playing consumer
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:05:47 PM EST
The rich get richer and the poor get poorer.

Get rid of the diseases, cancers, and stuff like Alzheimer's but dont mess with the rest.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:06:01 PM EST
I would say hell yes if it means no more birth defects, no more special needs children, no more bringing children in to this world that will have suffer their entire lives handicapped be it physically or mentally and forced to be dependent cradle to grave on someone else for their survival.

This would also mean if homosexuality is a birth trait and not a product of environment or learned trait then it too will likely be scientifically bred out of the human race as well.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Top Top