Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/4/2006 9:26:12 PM EDT
I learned that if you mix coal tar and lime together you get a chemical compound called "calcium carbide."  If you add water to calcium carbide you get acetylene gas.

Back in the late 1800's people (rich ones) would make calcium carbide and mix it with water in closed vessels and make acetylene which would be allowed to build up pressure within the vessel and then the gas would be released through copper pipes/tubing and be used to run gas lamps in the houses.  They had chandliers with gas tubing in them and they were lit by igniting the acetylene gas.  They had lighting which put out a significant amount of light and they didn't have to use candles.  

So, now you know !!!!

lawdog
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 9:31:11 PM EDT
[#1]
I like pie.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 9:32:18 PM EDT
[#2]
My slippers smell like an old thermos.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 9:33:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Am I supposed to believe this?
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 9:35:21 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Am I supposed to believe this?

Absolutely
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 9:37:17 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
My slippers smell like an old thermos.

My cat's breath smells like catfood.

Link Posted: 2/4/2006 9:38:54 PM EDT
[#6]
My dog is under my desk, big dog, and his digestive system doesn't work so well....
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 9:39:35 PM EDT
[#7]
You mix ammonia and bleach to get perfume!

Actually chlorine gas, but whatever.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 9:41:08 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
You mix ammonia and bleach to get perfume!

Actually chlorine gas, but whatever.

Like women can tell the difference between Chanel and mustard gas!!  
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 9:41:21 PM EDT
[#9]

"Tripe" is not a kind of fish.

Link Posted: 2/4/2006 11:53:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Next semester you will learn that you can take 000fine steel wool,and put a small puff of it across a nine volt battery posts + and - and you can start a small (pre-pitched )fire!!!!

Come back then and (bore)tell us about it also!!

Bob
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 11:58:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Lawdog is the anus of knowledge from which farts of useless information leak forth and offend those around him.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 12:02:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Hurray for 9th grade science class.

- BG
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 12:16:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Not to mention that carbide was used in old mine lamps that they would wear on their helmets.  A lot of tourist caves have souvenier stores that still sell the lamps and carbide to the public.  I love taking large quantities of carbide and dropping them in a container of water, and watch the gas spontaneously ignite through the heat of the chemical reaction.  Also, take a container which can be sealed tightly, drop some carbide in it, add water and quickly seal and throw.  KABOOM!!!
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 12:23:24 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Not to mention that carbide was used in old mine lamps that they would wear on their helmets.  A lot of tourist caves have souvenier stores that still sell the lamps and carbide to the public.  I love taking large quantities of carbide and dropping them in a container of water, and watch the gas spontaneously ignite through the heat of the chemical reaction.  Also, take a container which can be sealed tightly, drop some carbide in it, add water and quickly seal and throw.  KABOOM!!!

If you take a SoBe bottle, add gasoline and oxyclean, shake it up and leave it near an open flame, you get a massive fireball.

But thats a felony in some states, even on your own land. So I'm just sayin', you know, for educational purposes only.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 12:30:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 12:30:48 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I learned that if you mix coal tar and lime together you get a chemical compound called "calcium carbide."  If you add water to calcium carbide you get acetylene gas.

Back in the late 1800's people (rich ones) would make calcium carbide and mix it with water in closed vessels and make acetylene which would be allowed to build up pressure within the vessel and then the gas would be released through copper pipes/tubing and be used to run gas lamps in the houses.  They had chandliers with gas tubing in them and they were lit by igniting the acetylene gas.  They had lighting which put out a significant amount of light and they didn't have to use candles.  

So, now you know !!!!

lawdog

NICE!! thanks!! Now did you know that the headlamps of cars used to be fueled by acetylene gas. now to this day those tanks are used for welding AND they have letter designation for the size of the two different sizes. The large one is designated as a "B" tank and the small one is an "MC" tank.

I NEVER knew why they had such a vast difference in letter designation until my supplier told me...

"B" tanks were for Buick's headlights and "MC" were for motorcycles with acetylene headlamps.

Cool huh?
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 12:42:30 AM EDT
[#17]
When come back bring pie.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 1:09:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Just checking in.
I still like pie.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 4:15:09 AM EDT
[#19]
If you eat boiled eggs and pinto beans you'll get a gas that you can light also.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 4:18:17 AM EDT
[#20]
if you sprinkle a little calcium carbide on ice, you can impress your friend by igniting the "ice"
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 4:25:34 AM EDT
[#21]
exactly.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 4:32:50 AM EDT
[#22]
I have heard of people (long time ago) dumping a 50 pound bag of calcium carbide
down sewer drains in larger cities, and waiting for someone to toss their cigarette.

Suposedly blew manhole covers off for blocks.

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 4:35:57 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I checked the chemistry, and you left out something important.

After mixing the coal tar and lime, it must be heated in an oxygen free oven to 2100 degrees C.

This is not something you can do in the kitchen.

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 4:37:20 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 4:41:46 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I have gas.....should I light my ass?

ANdy

Yes, and give a range report.
Just don't post pics.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:07:19 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I checked the chemistry, and you left out something important.

After mixing the coal tar and lime, it must be heated in an oxygen free oven to 2100 degrees C.

This is not something you can do in the kitchen.

Thank you The Reaper.  That is an important fact he left out.

Since we're on the topic of acetylene:  If you compress the gas to more than 2 atmospheres, it becomes shock sensitive.  Imagine their surprise when the first person pumped the gas into a steel cylinder and when it accidentally fell over and hit the ground, it detonated.  Acetylene gas can be stored in a steel cylinder but only if you fill it almost completely with acetone first.  300 liters of acetylene will dissolve into 1 liter of acetone at 2 atmospheres of pressure.  The cylinder is filled with crushed pumice so the acetone doesn't slosh around as much.

If you bubble acetylene into a solution of silver nitrate, you will get a precipitate of silver acetylide (Ag2C2).  Filter it and let it dry and you now have a flame/percussion sensitive explosive that can be used to detonate PETN or RDX.  Just keep it out of light as, like most silver salts, it is photosensitive and will break down.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:21:43 AM EDT
[#27]
We used/still use calcium carbide to make boomers for holidays.  Take a clean paint can, the big ones, and tap a very small hole in the bottom with a nail.  Then toss in a few "rocks" of calcium carbide and spit on them.  Put the top back on real tight.  Then put it down on it's side and step on the side to hold it down.  Make sure the lid is pointed in a sfe direction and hold a match to the hole in the bottom.  BOOOOOOOM!  It blows the top off and makes a boom so loud it will wake ALL of the neighbors up!

We have done this 100's of times with no bulging of the cans or any sign of danger, the top is the weak joint that blows off.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:23:58 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
If you mix milk and Nestle's Quik together you get chocolate milk.

A delicious drink served in New Orleans, I hear.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:32:39 AM EDT
[#29]
Coal miners used to have carbide lamps.  Only problem was the flame in the mines.  Seems the carbide lamp lit the methane.  

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:04:21 AM EDT
[#30]
I recently learned that when an ordinary slice of bread is heated to a certain temperature it will transform itself into a completely new substance commonly reffered to as "toast". It's a pretty stable compound that can be made to be quite delicious with the application of fruit preserves. I usually do this in an oxygen free oven for safety, but it could probably be done by other means as well.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:09:34 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Lawdog is the anus of knowledge from which farts of useless information leak forth and offend those around him.

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:10:01 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:40:33 AM EDT
[#33]
If you ever played with Big Bang cannons when you were a kid, you saw the calcium carbide + water = acetylene gas thing at work, Bangsite, the powder you use in the cannon to make go boom is calcium carbide.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:46:13 AM EDT
[#34]
Oh yea... I forgot, I like pie, too !!!!

lawdog
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:50:19 AM EDT
[#35]
Calcium carbide works great for blackening gun sights.

Use a baby food jar and punch a small hole in the lid. Add a little water, drop in a piece of CC and light
the acetylene gas, pass the front and rear sights over the smoke.

Or, you could just buy one of these...

www.ray-vin.com/gunsight/smoker-faq.htm
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:00:57 AM EDT
[#36]
"the Anarchist's Cookbook" should be mandatory reading for any 1st year Chemistry student.

off topic, when you guys say that you like pie, are you referring to eating out, or anything having to do with the act... from ingredients to the insertion of the pie spatula?
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:03:33 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 3:57:49 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Since we're on the topic of acetylene:  If you compress the gas to more than 2 atmospheres, it becomes shock sensitive.  Imagine their surprise when the first person pumped the gas into a steel cylinder and when it accidentally fell over and hit the ground, it detonated.  Acetylene gas can be stored in a steel cylinder but only if you fill it almost completely with acetone first.  300 liters of acetylene will dissolve into 1 liter of acetone at 2 atmospheres of pressure.  The cylinder is filled with crushed pumice so the acetone doesn't slosh around as much.

If you bubble acetylene into a solution of silver nitrate, you will get a precipitate of silver acetylide (Ag2C2).  Filter it and let it dry and you now have a flame/percussion sensitive explosive that can be used to detonate PETN or RDX.  Just keep it out of light as, like most silver salts, it is photosensitive and will break down.

True, most people don't realize how potentially dangerous acetylene is.

I think that modern acetylene tanks contain cellulose instead of pumice.
Not that it matters, as either would work.  

I have done the acetylene/silver nitrate experiment.
(working in a lab does lend some playtime opportunities)
And it works.  At least as far as being a sensitive explosive.
I don't know about initiating secondary explosives with it.

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 4:06:09 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
My dog is under my desk, big dog, and his digestive system doesn't work so well....

Do you also happen to have chandliers? Copper tubing? If so your half way there
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top