Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/30/2005 4:10:05 PM EDT
Anyone use it? Sounds interesting, we live in a rural area and the grocery stores around here pretty much suck. Schwan's is an interesting idea where they deliver food to your door. Curious if anyone has used their service and what you thought about it. Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 4:10:31 PM EDT
Expensive, but good.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 4:12:43 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Daytona955i:
Expensive, but good.

very good.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 4:16:24 PM EDT
Is the food prepared? heat and go? Do you grill the steaks? The website wasn't very clear.

As for cost, it didn't seem outrageous to me. Certainly more expensive than the grocery store and making food from scratch, but much less expensive than going out for similar food. Especially when you figure in the beer and tip!
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 4:20:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/30/2005 4:22:17 PM EDT by Daytona955i]

Originally Posted By nashgill:
Is the food prepared? heat and go? Do you grill the steaks? The website wasn't very clear.

As for cost, it didn't seem outrageous to me. Certainly more expensive than the grocery store and making food from scratch, but much less expensive than going out for similar food. Especially when you figure in the beer and tip!

It's basically the frozen food section of a grocery store brought directly to your house.

The cuts of meat aren't cooked already, but damn, they really do have good steaks for something that they will bring to your house twice a month.

And no, the cost isn't outrageous at all, but more than the similar foods in the grocery store.

I like to get the Wonton pizza rolls and the non-frozen concentrate juice along with some other things. If you have a big deap freeze freezer, it's definitely worth it, if you don't mind paying the prices, you won't be disappointed. The pizza's are pretty good too.

ETA: They do a lot of deals where you get x amount for cheaper, those are always a good option too. Oh, and the women folk like the ice cream.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 4:20:30 PM EDT
They are in our neighborhood all the time. Definitely good but I'll agree with pricey.

Link Posted: 9/30/2005 4:30:04 PM EDT
My mom used to buy a lot from them and it was pretty good stuff. I did notice the shrimp products she bought gave me headaches when I ate it. Saw her open a box and on the bag it was printed "Product of Nigeria" so I haven't eaten any since. This has been a few years back so I don't know if things are the same or have changed.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 4:45:15 PM EDT
Ahhh, they have prep instructions for each item on the website. Quite handy I tell ya!
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 4:56:41 PM EDT

Originally Posted By spm681:

Expensive, but good.

very good.

Very, very good.... try the ice cream!

My first experience with Schwan's was when I worked for the Navy... they used to deliver to our fire station once a week. Several years later, we had them drop stuff at the house for a few years.

Pricey indeed... but worth it.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 5:03:49 PM EDT
I am continually surprised how good it is. It is a little more expensive than the grocery store, but they bring it to your house and the quality is better than a traditional (i.e. non-gourmet) grocery.

R.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 5:13:12 PM EDT
good.
my parent's have been getting it for years
recently got some sort of ice cream Butter something was the flavor. addictingly good
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 5:19:06 PM EDT
Schwan's had an issue a few years ago with some food transportation. One of their suppliers put some unfrozen ice cream mix in a tanker that had raw eggs in it before. Some people got food poisoning. What happened next was amazing. Schwan's got a hold of all the customers that had problems and gave them free food or otherwise made things right. No lawsuits. No haggling in court. They just said someone screwed up and made it right.

They are a hell of a company, and the delivery drivers work their asses off.

And their food is great too.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 5:29:25 PM EDT
Is this like Webvan or Peapod, those services that you ordered food online and got food delivered to your door but went belly-up withing the first 2 years?
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 5:30:25 PM EDT
We have been delighted with their food, for the most part.
There are a couple of items we won't get again, I forget
what they were.

Give them a try if you can stand the small extra cost.
The frozen cheese-bread is a favorite here.

DanM
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 5:30:46 PM EDT

Originally Posted By deej86:
Is this like Webvan or Peapod, those services that you ordered food online and got food delivered to your door but went belly-up withing the first 2 years?

No. They've been around for years.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 5:31:20 PM EDT
The eggrolls. Damn the eggrolls are good.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 5:32:37 PM EDT

I think Schwan's has been driving their refrigerated trucks through the
neighborhoods since before I was a kid, 50 years ago. More like the
Ice Cream man, or the milkman (remember them?).

DanM
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 5:33:32 PM EDT

They started out in catalogue's with an 800 number (and still do a lot of business that way) and have a huge fleet of vehicles.

I like the fact that you can pay online and arrange a place for the driver to leave stuff so that you don't have to be home when they stop by.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 6:00:46 PM EDT
Yeah, its good. Expensive, too. I'll agree to that. My sister lives on the stuff!
One thing not mentioned though, although Daytona955i touched on it, its the frozen food section, its all prepared meals/snacks, and that means a lot of salt and a lot of preservatives.
Read the packages sometimes. Ewwww.
I can make better, healthier, food (way) cheaper than anything they can offer.

BTW my sister is fat!
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 6:34:42 PM EDT

Originally Posted By RogerBall:
Yeah, its good. Expensive, too. I'll agree to that. My sister lives on the stuff!
One thing not mentioned though, although Daytona955i touched on it, its the frozen food section, its all prepared meals/snacks, and that means a lot of salt and a lot of preservatives.
Read the packages sometimes. Ewwww.
I can make better, healthier, food (way) cheaper than anything they can offer.

BTW my sister is fat!

Good point, didn't even think of that!
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 6:37:21 PM EDT

I like the fact that you can pay online and arrange a place for the driver to leave stuff so that you don't have to be home when they stop by.

What do you mean by that? They'll meet you at work? They'll put the shit in your freezer for you?
Just curious because I work 55 miles from home so daytime is out of the question. I've seen them delivering after dark this summer so they must do some late deliveries. The 55 miles from home is another reason I'm looking at it, I really don't have time to go to the grocery store.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 6:53:23 PM EDT
Yep, they will come in and put it in your freezer for you.

Good stuff. Their ice cream is the best!
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 6:54:45 PM EDT
I actually used to work for Schwans. Great products. Some things can be expensive (boneless pork chops) but damn are they good. I never had anything I didn't like. Just for a heads up for anyone that buys the pizza's, just buy them at the store for cheaper. Red Baron is Schwans. They own red baron as well. Look at the side of a red barnon box. Should say something about schwans, or manufactured in Marshal MN, Schwans headquarters. Good stuff man. I think it's the best ice cream available. Ben & Jerrys is close, but schwans has that topped...
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 7:49:39 PM EDT
Gooooooood ice cream.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 7:51:00 PM EDT
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 5:27:08 AM EDT

Originally Posted By nashgill:

What do you mean by that? They'll meet you at work? They'll put the shit in your freezer for you?
Just curious because I work 55 miles from home so daytime is out of the question. I've seen them delivering after dark this summer so they must do some late deliveries. The 55 miles from home is another reason I'm looking at it, I really don't have time to go to the grocery store.

Thanks!

my parents have a chest freezer in the garage. my mom will leave a note saying what they want and a check and the guy will put the food in the garage freezer
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 7:06:06 AM EDT
Those little strawberry ice cream cups are the best!
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 7:16:42 AM EDT

Originally Posted By DanM:

I think Schwan's has been driving their refrigerated trucks through the
neighborhoods since before I was a kid, 50 years ago. More like the
Ice Cream man, or the milkman (remember them?).

DanM

Ahhh, the Schwann's Dude........an essential human being if there ever was one. Schwann's French Vanilla Ice Cream in the 5 GALLONG TIN TUB.......ohhhhhhhh, Baby.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 8:14:15 AM EDT
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 9:16:45 AM EDT
+1 on the pricey but VERY GOOD!!! (Their 'Thick sliced bacon is the best!!!)...
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 1:30:38 PM EDT
We used to get it regular. Good food, but expensive. The problem and reason we quit, was the damn driver would show up at all times of the day, (supposed to be "about the same time of day, same day of the week"), and then it got so damn bad he'd show up on a day close to the day he was supposed to be here.

Very undependable, and made it hard to know what to expect and when.... Guess it was the driver that killed our business with them. MournSword
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 3:29:42 PM EDT

THey have been around a long time... back in the early 90s they were always dropping things off at my neighbors house.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 3:50:11 PM EDT

Originally Posted By dskeet:

THey have been around a long time... back in the early 90s they were always dropping things off at my neighbors house.

Hi, ex-Schwans driver here. many of my customers left lists and checks posted on freezers in garage or even in there house[pre-aranged with me.] I would just drop products and pick up check and go. I had many more customers who were home when I showed up. Drivers work on straight commisions. I had a tough route system with little population to build from. Schwans stands behind their products 100%. They are the largest producers of frozen pizzas in America. Red Baron, Freschetta and their house brands. Peppermint stick ice cream and Blackjack Cherry are my too favorites,.... oh yeah, Dulce De leche. Homer, "HMMM, ice cream."
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 4:02:10 PM EDT
Very good!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 4:13:03 PM EDT
We got food from them for years and really liked it. We dropped the service a few years ago when the Schwans driver made a pass at my wife once when I was not at home.

I really miss that great ice cream. I have kidded my wife about not giving in to the SOB so that we could get free ice cream.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 4:20:22 PM EDT
I was on thier service for about 2 months, then the driver just stopped coming by, I still see him drive by a couple times a week, but he never stops,

Oh well, guess he does not need the money that bad..
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 4:29:36 PM EDT
It's berry berry yumbly for my tumbly.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 4:43:03 PM EDT
Great food , great service, and Damn Good Ice Cream

Yes , a little pricey....but if you factor in your time, gas, food prep...you actually may come out ahead (especially with the price of gas lately)
I have yet to find anything bad on their menu, and if I did , they make it right with you.

....and where else are you going to find someone to drive all the way out to your house just to deliver a single 1/2 gallon container of ice cream?

Schwann guys earn their money.

P.S. Fellas, just wait until your pregnant wife goes "Hungry, Hungry Hippo" on you....you will indeed appreciate the Schwann guy.
Top Top