Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/19/2015 12:48:40 PM EDT

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/jan/18/schumer-outlaw-homemade-explosives/

ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) - U.S. Sen. Charles Schumer says he is introducing legislation to make it illegal to build homemade bombs.

View Quote

The New York Democrat said Sunday that current federal rules could
potentially allow someone to make homemade explosives without breaking
the law. He says that the Boston Marathon bombing and the publication by
terrorist groups of recipes for homemade bombs show the need to
criminalize the activity.

The senator says the legal loophole
hinders law-enforcement efforts to stop acts of terror and violence. His
legislation would outlaw bomb making, though exceptions would be made
for businesses with a license to create explosives for legitimate uses.

Specifically, the bill would authorize the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco,
Firearms and Explosives and other agencies to arrest those who are
manufacturing homemade explosives.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:49:34 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm curious as to what "homemade explosives" are currently legal in the US.  
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:50:31 PM EDT
[#2]
I thought making bombs was illegal.  
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:50:34 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
With a tax stamp you can make a grenade.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:51:12 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm more curious if a law like this would have stopped things like the Boston bombing similar to how gun free zones stop shootings?
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:51:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah,I wonder too.

Schumer is a piece of fucking shit and I wish nothing but bad things for that scumbag.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:52:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Tannerite. The bill could also potentially be used to outlaw gunpowder for reloading, as a bomb could be made from that. It could also outlaw having more than a certain amount of ammo so you can't pull bullets and build a bomb. It's schumer, so it's likely more back door gun control.

Eta: punctuation
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:53:23 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

View Quote
He's probably talking about Tannerite which is ammonium nitrate and german dark aluminum powder.

There are 2 explosives I can think of off the top of my head that can be made from unbannable ingredients.  The 7/7 London bombings used one of them.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:54:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/jan/18/schumer-outlaw-homemade-explosives/

ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) - U.S. Sen. Charles Schumer says he is introducing legislation to make it illegal to build homemade bombs.
View Quote

The New York Democrat said Sunday that current federal rules could potentially allow someone to make homemade explosives without breaking the law. He says that the Boston Marathon bombing and the publication by terrorist groups of recipes for homemade bombs show the need to criminalize the activity.

The senator says the legal loophole hinders law-enforcement efforts to stop acts of terror and violence. His legislation would outlaw bomb making, though exceptions would be made for businesses with a license to create explosives for legitimate uses.

Specifically, the bill would authorize the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives and other agencies to arrest those who are manufacturing homemade explosives.

View Quote

He's a fucking retard.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:55:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:58:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Tannerite, in act ANY Binary target material would fall under this.  Reenactors, and just home chemists, Pyrotechnic/Firework makerswho make their own Black Powder...all would fall under this, High Power Rocketry guys who make their own Pyrogen Ignitors, and large (REALLY Large) Motor grains...this type of thing can have VERY Far-reaching consequences
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:59:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Tannerite. The bill could also potentially be used to outlaw gunpowder for reloading, as a bomb could be made from that. It could also outlaw having more than a certain amount of ammo so you can't pull bullets and build a bomb. It's schumer, so it's likely more back door gun control.

View Quote

I would say you're spot on. Wouldn't surprise me if they added storing "large quanities" of gasoline in there as well. Can't have citizens being able to make Molotovs after they saw the uprising in Ukraine.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:59:21 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Just make it illegal to kill people.
View Quote

I may be wrong, but I believe it already is
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:01:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Says the guy with two confirmed kills in his sigline
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:01:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm pretty sure you are wrong. Killing people happens all the time. I wish we had a law...
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:01:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He could make it more illegal then.

Like double or even triple illegal...

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:02:24 PM EDT
[#16]

Whatever his stated intention, you can bet your ass it's a direct attack on gun owners.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:06:55 PM EDT
[#17]
The Boston bombers made their bombs from fireworks they cut apart.  Schumer's proposal would not have stopped them.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:07:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

I am guessing this is the end game.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:07:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

It could also outlaw farting in your own home.
One would need to release their methane gas at a special site supervised by the local police bomb squad after paying a tax.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:08:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

The New York Democrat said Sunday that current federal rules could potentially allow someone to make homemade explosives without breaking the law. He says that the Boston Marathon bombing and the publication by terrorist groups of recipes for homemade bombs show the need to criminalize the activity.

The senator says the legal loophole hinders law-enforcement efforts to stop acts of terror and violence. His legislation would outlaw bomb making, though exceptions would be made for businesses with a license to create explosives for legitimate uses.

Specifically, the bill would authorize the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives and other agencies to arrest those who are manufacturing homemade explosives.

View Quote

Would this law exempt Arabs and Persians ?
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:09:03 PM EDT
[#21]
All I want for Christmas is CHUCKY BOY SUCK STARTING A CHAINSAW.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:09:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

One would need to release their methane gas at a special site supervised by the local police bomb squad after paying a tax.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good call sir. Eliminate terrorists while at the same time, pushing global warming.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:11:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Tannerite, in act ANY Binary target material would fall under this.  Reenactors, and just home chemists, Pyrotechnic/Firework makerswho make their own Black Powder...all would fall under this, High Power Rocketry guys who make their own Pyrogen Ignitors, and large (REALLY Large) Motor grains...this type of thing can have VERY Far-reaching consequences
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd be surprised if keeping gunpowder in general didn't get caught up with this kind of bullshit.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:12:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Outlaw schumer
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:20:55 PM EDT
[#25]
If only homemade explosives were illegalized , the Boston Bomber probably wouldnt have built a bomb to bomb the boston marathon
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:21:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Yeah I am sure that if their bomb would have been illegal they would have reconsidered killing those people for fear of getting in trouble for their bomb.

I was not really aware of any legal bombs that could be made. There is the old ANFO diesel and fertilizer which both can be bought legally but I am pretty sure it is illegal to combine them to make a bomb.

I never really looked into making this type of stuff because I can buy whatever I want ready made.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:28:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Now that right there is an idea!
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:29:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Yeah wait until he finds out the active ingredient in zit cream is an explosive or that this would end drag racing because nitromethane is also a high explosive or that anyone who owns a car made after 95 is in possession of explosives.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:33:32 PM EDT
[#29]
It is already illegal to make bombs.  And without permits, it is illegal to transport explosives on public roads yet still legal to make explosives.

It is illegal to use fireworks as a weapon too so that is covered.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:34:13 PM EDT
[#30]
A bill to outlaw homemade bombs and destructive devices is "feel good" legislation and something that would sail easily through the Senate.

Then, just before it gets voted on, and when no one is paying attention, some Democrat will add gunpowder, primers and homemade ammo to the bill.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:35:24 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Holy crap, that's genius!  Make it illegal to kill people and we've ended terrorism in one go!  Why didn't Our Glorious Leader think of that?  

Oh, wait...
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:35:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

I wish he would just go away.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:36:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
He's probably talking about Tannerite which is ammonium nitrate and german dark aluminum powder.  

There are 2 explosives I can think of off the top of my head that can be made from unbannable ingredients.  The 7/7 London bombings used one of them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can think of 5 improvised explosives that can be made from stuff that would be almost impossible to ban.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:37:29 PM EDT
[#34]
I, for one, will be neck bearding pre ban apple cider...
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:39:26 PM EDT
[#35]
How about we just ban democrats from NY?
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:39:41 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
I can think of 5 improvised explosives that can be made from stuff that would be almost impossible to ban.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pee for starters
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:40:00 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

View Quote

Without a license, it's legal to make a firecracker with no more than 50 mg of flash powder or black powder.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:40:14 PM EDT
[#38]
What about science projects?

Think of the children.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:40:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuck it, just introduce a new bill to outlaw it and everyone will think it's still legal and DEMAND that it gets passed.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:40:47 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

shhhhh, you'll ruin the narrative if you bring that up. Kinda like gun control, there are plenty of gun laws in the US, if everyone followed the rules and laws extant then there would be no troubles with gang shootings, suicides, murder, children accidentally shooting their friends.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:41:45 PM EDT
[#41]
Who thinks this will be used to outlaw possession of gun powder, either now or in the not too distant future? Like via some kind of administrative expansion after enforcement of this much needed new law is turned over to the ATF.

This will probably kill model rocketry and the fireworks industry in very short order. Schumer is an evil man.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:42:19 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Without a license, it's legal to make a firecracker with no more than 50 mg of flash powder or black powder.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's like 0.771617918 gr.   not a lot of power there
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:43:03 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Fuck it, just introduce a new bill to outlaw it and everyone will think it's still legal and DEMAND that it gets passed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep must close the 'killing people' loophole
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:43:29 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

anfo etc farmers use to clear stumps

This is pointless because if people feel the need to make bombs they will. whatever.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:45:21 PM EDT
[#45]
I would fully support a law that bans schumer
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:47:54 PM EDT
[#46]
Can I still own propane, and propane accessories?

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:50:22 PM EDT
[#47]
Everyone with a propane fired bbq has to get ride of them. A small propane tank makes a pretty nice BOOM. Wasn't a propane bottle art of an attempt to blow up an suv somewhere in New York a few years ago??
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:52:13 PM EDT
[#48]
Criminals will still make them, just like they still murder people even though it has been illegal for a long time. Dumbass.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:53:04 PM EDT
[#49]
He's a fuck head and doesn't know shit about bombs.

There's a clip of him at the senate hearings after they burned down the "Branch Davidian" compound insisting that a flash-bang grenade was not dangerous.  It can't hurt you-you can set 'em off in your hand and it won't hurt you. You first Chucky boy.

He is either; A. willfully stupid, or B. an out and out fuck head.

Maybe a willfully stupid fuck head.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:53:17 PM EDT
[#50]
He wants to make making illegal bombs illegal?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top