Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 10/9/2001 9:19:37 AM EST
Can anyone give me some details (or tell me where I can find details) of that Gun-Free School Zone law (aka helpless victim zone)? I am planning on buying my first gun soon, but there is a school fairly close to my house. From the very edge of the school property, my apartment is just over 1000 feet away, so I should be fine there, but entering or leaving the apartment complex will probably require passing through the "school zone". Where is the 1000ft measured from? If measured from the center of the school, I would be well clear. What exceptions are there? Is it okay if the gun is in a car (in accordinace with state laws)? How about if you have a CCW? I live in Florida, btw. That would be such BS if it was technically illegal to leave the apartment complex with a gun. Speaking of nonsense laws, I heard that the 10-rd mag capacity limit expires in 2004 and would have to be renewed to continue. Is this true?
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 9:23:10 AM EST
In the state of Georgia, you are ok living and driving near a school. You also can legally transport a gun on school property if you are traveling through, picking up or dropping off.
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 9:33:53 AM EST
Originally Posted By mace: Speaking of nonsense laws, I heard that the 10-rd mag capacity limit expires in 2004 and would have to be renewed to continue. Is this true?
View Quote
Yes, it's true. Unless renewed, or a new bill with similar or worse provisions is approved before 9/13/04, the pre-ban/post-ban crap, and 10 round magazine capacity limit goes away. Note that some states have enacted their own provisions, which mirror the federal law, but have no sunset provision - and states like California still ban 'em outright (except for grandfathered mags - which can't be passed to heirs, loaned or sold in-state).
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 5:12:46 PM EST
My understanding is that you can possess firearms w/in the "Safe Zone" legally, and pass through a "Safe Zone" legally. You get into trouble when you create a situation that is in violation of a std law involving the school. I live such that I can open my family room window and see the front door of an elementary school on the next street across from the house behind the house across the street from my house. I have CLEO signature on 3 NFA stamps at my current address. NO problem. As long as you abide by the normal laws and don't create a problem towards the school, carry on with life and enjoy.
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 6:34:06 PM EST
Thanks guys, sounds like everything's allright. Just out of curiosity, what exactly is illegal under this act?
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 2:39:05 PM EST
I also live in florida. I don/t have a CWP but at the class they said you can keep a gun loaded in your car as long as it is in a closed compartment ie glovebox or supposedly according to a recent court ruling, an enclosed center counsel. Is this true? What about parking on campus to go to class? Thanks-
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 3:34:58 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/11/2001 6:07:04 PM EST by SBR7_11]
Originally Posted By mace: Just out of curiosity, what exactly is illegal under this act?
View Quote
Basic is carrying a firearm on school property, pretty common sense there, creating a situation inside the safe zone involving a firearm. Take it from there. I should have the chapter of US Law in regards to the Safe Zone, I'll look in my ATF book, though it is slightly old. Got the book, dated 10-95, (ATF P 5300.4), the info you want is in the "Gun control act of 1968", Chapter 44? Firearms--Sec. 922.-Unlawful acts. It is on page 10 of this publication. May be able to find same info on the ATF web-site.
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 9:54:50 AM EST
thee12nv, I got most of my information from [url]http://personal.mco.bellsouth.net/mco/f/l/flynn52/fla-gun.html[/url] and [url]www.packing.org[/url]. They say that in a car, the gun has to be stored such that you have to do something to get to it, like in a glove compartment, center console with a lid, zipper pouch, or a snap holster (not on your body), etc. It can be loaded, and you don't need any kind of permit or liscense.
Top Top