Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/22/2020 12:12:56 PM
Posted: 1/19/2015 2:58:16 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/19/2015 2:58:45 PM EST by GoodOlDave]
I guess I am an ignoramus on such things...I have a stockpile of Mountain House freeze dried back packer foods as an emergency SHTF food supply. These things have every microbe of moisture sucked out of them AND they are stored in an airtight space age Mylar envelope. These are essentially the Egyptian mummies of prepared foods.

Why then exactly do these things have a shelf life of seven years? What exactly is the problem with these that they will still deteriorate in the condition and the packaging they are in when equally desiccated mummies will last 3000 years?
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:59:45 PM EST
I would assume that it probably will last past 7 years...

But the company that made them don't want to be held accountable for anything past 7 years.

Plus, it will make most consumers buy their product again...in 7 years time.

Just making ASSumptions here.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:02:00 PM EST

Personally doubt there would be anything wrong with them for a lot longer than 7 years.
Canned food all has an expiration and people say they have eaten it 50 years later and short of losing taste it didn't make them sick or kill them.
The same mountain house in the buckets is good for like 20-25 years. That's what I have stashed in the back of a closet.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:02:07 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/19/2015 3:02:57 PM EST by OhioLongRange]
canned food NEVER goes bad.... but it WILL taste like shit after so long... had some 4 year old cherry pie filling.. opened it the other day... tasted like the can

i have some 5 or 6yo tuna... it has some serious funk

i also have the 1993 vintage MRE's... "most" of the food is still good
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:02:45 PM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By bagofcrabs65:
I would assume that it probably will last past 7 years...

But the company that made them don't want to be held accountable for anything past 7 years.

Plus, it will make most consumers buy their product again...in 7 years time.

Just making ASSumptions here.
View Quote
This, CYA. If the packaging has not been compromised it should be edible. On the other hand it may or may not taste good. Some chemicals degrade even in a sealed environment.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:03:49 PM EST
3 things kill stored food. Heat, light, oxygen.

If you stored that food inside your home it will be good for a lot longer than 7 years.

If you stored it in your car at 29 palms its bad throw it away.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:08:35 PM EST
Stick with the #10 cans.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:10:46 PM EST
Originally Posted By whatarippa:
Stick with the #10 cans.
View Quote

Or Buckets
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:13:38 PM EST
Originally Posted By buckshot_jim:

Or Buckets
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By buckshot_jim:
Originally Posted By whatarippa:
Stick with the #10 cans.

Or Buckets

Yeah I have a lot of the buckets.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:18:09 PM EST
Originally Posted By GoodOlDave:
Why then exactly do these things have a shelf life of seven years? What exactly is the problem with these that they will still deteriorate in the condition and the packaging they are in when equally desiccated mummies will last 3000 years?
View Quote

I dunno man, 3000 year old Long Pork Jerky doesn't seem really any more appetizing than the packaged food you mention, of course YMMV.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:24:08 PM EST
I'm not sure what process they are using to preserve the food, but the reality is that unless they are displacing oxygen with nitrogen or something when packing it and vac sealing it, it's nearly impossible to get all of the oxygen out of a container. I'm sure there are preservatives and techniques to minimize the effects of residual oxygen though. I'm just going off of my personal knowledge here. I'd actually be interested to know what their process is as these things are relevant to my interests.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:24:56 PM EST
Originally Posted By Polupharmakos:

I dunno man, 3000 year old Long Pork Jerky doesn't seem really any more appetizing than the packaged food you mention, of course YMMV.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Polupharmakos:
Originally Posted By GoodOlDave:

I've found that Oberto packaged beef jerky doesn't last more than 18 months before it starts getting really tough and developing some funky taste . Other brands that remove more moisture in their mfg process might last longer.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:26:16 PM EST
The vitamin content will degrade over time with canned goods.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:28:07 PM EST
Pssst! Find out how the Peruvians freeze dry food for free. It requires work and time, but they don't pay for energy.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:31:59 PM EST
It's the bag. Over time they will leak. Number 10 can for the win if you want 25 plus years.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:35:46 PM EST
I have eaten a 10 year old mountain house Chicken a La King and it tasted fine and I did not get sick in any way. I usually buy a few every time I go to the store and rotate them as they get close to expiring. Well this one got missed and like you I tried to wrap my head around how it would go bad, so I decided to eat it. I could not tell any difference between it and a 5 year old pack of the same meal eaten 2 days later.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:44:44 PM EST
Several years ago I found myself stranded because of a flood and had not been shopping for groceries in a long time due to eating out constantly.
So sure enough I had three Mountain House food packets but they were about 15 years old.
They were not good.
Toatally unedible in fact.
Top Top