Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/1/2006 6:32:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/1/2006 6:39:30 PM EDT by LANCEMAN]
Here is what happened:

My 8 yo son and the neighbor kid make a phone call to a girl in his class. They get the answering machine and leave this message "Hey [girl's name] I want you.......giggling" then hangs up. Sounds bad but after finding all this out what he meant to say was "I want you to be my girlfriend". Started laughing and hung up before he finished the statement. Anyway he's in trouble with us over calling people without permission and leaving messages.

The first I heard of this was from his school teacher Says he left a vulgar message at a classmates house and they would be writing him up and disciplining him at school because of it (Wait a second there). The girl's mom had called the teacher after hours upon hearing the message on the machine. I know the family and said I would call and find out what was up. After getting my son's side of the story, calling the girl's family and speaking to the dad (who we know) and listening to the message over the phone it was pretty clear that it was "innocent" in nature.

Called the teacher back and told her that it was resolved and a misunderstanding, but she was still saying that she would have to address it. I asked what authority she had over things that happen away from school, "would they write up two kids that got in a fight at home on a saturday ?" She finally agreed that she was "happy" that we settled it on our own and she didn't have to do anything

Weird scenario I know, but I get pissed at this authority teachers and schools sometimes think they have over the kids that attend there.

Edit for grammer
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:37:37 PM EDT
My wife teaches...Severly Emotionally Disturbed kids....and I mean seriously...

If two of the little bastards brawled or talked bad to each other outside of school she would have nothing to do with it.

Teachers need only deal with what is going on inside the walls.

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:38:45 PM EDT
Glad it worked out well LANCEMAN.

For what it's all worth:

WHen I was in high school I heard you could get in trouble for fighting outside of school
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:40:38 PM EDT
Your kids at home being kids, WTF is the schools problem.

The whole would is becoming pussified and it's a damn shame.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:41:45 PM EDT
The State is Mother and the State is Father... and that includes state schools.

What a load of horseshit.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:44:36 PM EDT
The teacher was doing this on her own authority? I would recommend calling the principal and sort it out. I would think the principal may just have a talk with the good Ms Helga Nazi.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:49:29 PM EDT
I work at a high school part of the day

Kids do get suspended for what happens outside of the school
They say it was a continuation of something that began at school

Two kids say after school Ill meet you behind 7/11 and kick your ass. One parent calls school and complains and boom both suspended.

Last year a school in a town south of me suspended 100+ kids out of school for being at a fight that was videotaped. Fight was away from school after school hours. Only two kids fought, everyone else was id'd off the video and sent home for a short vacation
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:49:57 PM EDT
Welcome to the Nanny State
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:53:15 PM EDT
I don't know what's worse. The schools refusing to discipline the little bastards who act out in school, or when they go to the other extreme and try to discipline them for behavior at home...
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:53:17 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Yossarian:

If two of the little bastards brawled or talked bad to each other outside of school she would have nothing to do with it.

Like the kind with helmets?

Isn't that a bit dangerous?

LANCEMAN,
I guess some teachers think that the parents won't do anything so it fall on them. Just curious, when did your son acquire the phone number? At school or not at school?
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:53:27 PM EDT
Actually, this sort of thing came about because of problems that started at school and carried over to evenings/weekends. Parents were calling and complaining that the school wasn't doing anything to handle it, and there are cases where the school was actually held liable. Now, since so many peope are so anxious to sue the school and/or the teacher for nearly everything, some poor teachers get paranoid and try to handle EVERYTHING...
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:58:10 PM EDT

Originally Posted By CAR-10:

Originally Posted By Yossarian:

Like the kind with helmets?

Isn't that a bit dangerous?

LANCEMAN,
I guess some teachers think that the parents won't do anything so it fall on them. Just curious, when did your son acquire the phone number? At school or not at school?

No, not the kids with helmets, although I would like her to have one.

No, these are the kids that throw desks and chairs around the room and at staff, if they hear something they don't like, such as, "It would be good if you did your work now so you don't have to stay after school."

These kids have an absolute shit of a home life. Parents using and dealing, beating them, in quasi gangs, getting in fights in the neighborhood. Lots of stuff they should not have to deal with and things they don't have the coping skills to help them deal.

Anyway.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:58:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/1/2006 7:01:38 PM EDT by ElCamino]
Oh, a school teacher is a moron?

Say it ain't so.

ETA: Though, if you think about it, you'd have to be dedicated, crazy, or a moron to want to be a teacher that gets paid relatively little to play nanny and social worker. And there ain't that many dedicated people I don't think.

I sure as hell wouldn't do it.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:58:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/1/2006 7:01:51 PM EDT by jbweld]
Alot of kids parents don't do chit when they mess up. Maybe this teacher was trying to do something positive. I don't think your son did anything wrong myself. He seen a girl he liked and told her so.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:59:11 PM EDT

Originally Posted By CAR-10:

LANCEMAN,

They got it out of the book, apparently they know how to read and alphabet order is taught there
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:59:50 PM EDT
If my kid's teacher told me they were going to discipline him for that, after my laughter subsided I'd simply say "uhhhh, NO." I suspect that would be the end of it.

Man, teachers and administrators really have lost their fucking minds. I couldn't even hope to suggest something so ludicrous that it could not occur in today's public school system.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:03:29 PM EDT
Yea i focus the blame more on the idiot parents who rely on the Gov to raise there kids . "That kid beat up my son last week why is he still allowed in school! Im suing!"
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:05:35 PM EDT
This is truly amazing.

Welcome to the Nanny state.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:08:16 PM EDT

Originally Posted By PeteCO:
If my kid's teacher told me they were going to discipline him for that, after my laughter subsided I'd simply say "uhhhh, NO." I suspect that would be the end of it.

Man, teachers and administrators really have lost their fucking minds. I couldn't even hope to suggest something so ludicrous that it could not occur in today's public school system.

Again, while it is quite the popular thing to do to criticize/ridicule the teacher in particular and public schools in general, remember that in the original post said, "The girl's mom had called the teacher after hours upon hearing the message on the machine." Even though the families knew each other, the mom chose to involve the school. Believe it or not, teachers don't sit around nights and weekends looking for ways to butt into your private lives...
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:08:38 PM EDT

Originally Posted By LANCEMAN:

Edit for grammer

Ummmm....it's grammar.....LOL

Glad to see everything worked out for your son. Teachers, while important, do not need to be utilized to raise our children...
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:13:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/1/2006 7:17:29 PM EDT by Krackels]
Just be happy they actually care. ( I exaggerated.) I've met a lot a fair amount of teachers that don't care enough about their students.

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:19:03 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Makarov_Mami:
Actually, this sort of thing came about because of problems that started at school and carried over to evenings/weekends. Parents were calling and complaining that the school wasn't doing anything to handle it, and there are cases where the school was actually held liable. Now, since so many peope are so anxious to sue the school and/or the teacher for nearly everything, some poor teachers get paranoid and try to handle EVERYTHING...

+1

That's my guess too. Do you really think that most teachers WANT to deal with completely trivial and inconsequential bullshit like this?

The PROBLEM was that the girl's mom called the teacher. Once that happens then the school probably has to worry about all kinds of bullshit, from tying to appease whiny parents, to avoiding lawsuits. Why the hell didn't the mom just call LANCEMAN's house?

Glad to hear the the teacher let it go.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:21:22 PM EDT

Again, while it is quite the popular thing to do to criticize/ridicule the teacher in particular and public schools in general, remember that in the original post said, "The girl's mom had called the teacher after hours upon hearing the message on the machine." Even though the families knew each other, the mom chose to involve the school. Believe it or not, teachers don't sit around nights and weekends looking for ways to butt into your private lives...

Big deal. Just because the mother called the teacher, are we now saying that the teacher shouldn't exercise judgement? That they should bow to the whim of the first moonbat to call them?

What if two of my employees are neighbors, and they into a pissing contest outside of work? Trust me, if they tried to involve me my response would be roughly "fuck off" and that would be the end of it.

It seems these days, that if anyone bitches about anything for any reason, we as a society feel the need to act on it. It's a phenomenon similar to public officials apologizing for things like saying the word "niggardly", rather than placing the blame where it belongs and calling the complainers ignorant fucks who need to pick up a dictionary.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:23:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/1/2006 7:24:09 PM EDT by LANCEMAN]

Originally Posted By Krackels:
Just be happy they actually care. I've met a lot of teachers that don't care enough about their students.

She is a good teacher, she was genuinely concerned, probably didn't care to have to deal with it either. I was just taken aback by the whole discipline outside of school suggestion. Like others have said they probably have to deal with many outside problems, chalk it up to the "nanny state" mentality in this day and age.

Originally Posted By toast:

Edit for grammer

Ummmm....it's grammar.....LOL

I know I usually type it that way as a joke
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:10:25 PM EDT

Originally Posted By DK-Prof:

+1

That's my guess too. Do you really think that most teachers WANT to deal with completely trivial and inconsequential bullshit like this?

The PROBLEM was that the girl's mom called the teacher. Once that happens then the school probably has to worry about all kinds of bullshit, from tying to appease whiny parents, to avoiding lawsuits. Why the hell didn't the mom just call LANCEMAN's house?

Glad to hear the the teacher let it go.

I didn't ask why she did it when talking to the father. If she had called right back when they heard the message and saw the caller ID it would have been worked out like it eventually was. Some people just need an "authority" figure to mediate I guess.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:05:41 PM EDT

Big deal. Just because the mother called the teacher, are we now saying that the teacher shouldn't exercise judgement? That they should bow to the whim of the first moonbat to call them?

What if two of my employees are neighbors, and they into a pissing contest outside of work? Trust me, if they tried to involve me my response would be roughly "fuck off" and that would be the end of it.

It seems these days, that if anyone bitches about anything for any reason, we as a society feel the need to act on it. It's a phenomenon similar to public officials apologizing for things like saying the word "niggardly", rather than placing the blame where it belongs and calling the complainers ignorant fucks who need to pick up a dictionary.

You think teachers are "masters of their domain"? If the school has a policy that says they need to deal with situations like that, then they do what they are told to do. If you don't like that take it up with the board and the admin. Don't beat up the teacher over it.

In my state teachers can be personally sued for actions that don't conform to the district policy so yes, as the husband of one, we have to be concerned about what the district says we have to be concerned about. It could well be my house on the line.

That said it was a trivial, and she backed off when it appeared to be resolved to both parties so what is the problem?
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:14:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/1/2006 9:16:01 PM EDT by PeteCO]

Originally Posted By Grunteled:
You think teachers are "masters of their domain"? If the school has a policy that says they need to deal with situations like that, then they do what they are told to do. If you don't like that take it up with the board and the admin. Don't beat up the teacher over it.

In my state teachers can be personally sued for actions that don't conform to the district policy so yes, as the husband of one, we have to be concerned about what the district says we have to be concerned about. It could well be my house on the line.

That said it was a trivial, and she backed off when it appeared to be resolved to both parties so what is the problem?

That's fucking crazy. The inmates are truly running the asylum.

By that rationale, as soon as the other party bitches, must the teacher reverse his position? (That is, until the original party bitches again....)

Does district policy state which party you must be most afraid of in some "lawsuit probability hierarchy?"

I understand this is not the teacher's fault - it's just that the whole system is irrevocably fucked.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:16:31 PM EDT

WHen I was in high school I heard you could get in trouble for fighting outside of school

This is true.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:20:50 PM EDT

Originally Posted By uafgrad:

Two kids say after school Ill meet you behind 7/11 and kick your ass. One parent calls school and complains and boom both suspended.

Last year a school in a town south of me suspended 100+ kids out of school for being at a fight that was videotaped. Fight was away from school after school hours. Only two kids fought, everyone else was id'd off the video and sent home for a short vacation

They could do this at my high school, as well. I asked one of the administrators about it, and it was explained to me that schools are acting 'en loco parentis' and had liability and responsibility over the kids from the time they left their doorstep in the morning, until they crossed the threshold again that evening. This is why they could discipline us for 'continuing things outside school.'
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:21:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/1/2006 9:21:45 PM EDT by yobo]
What is this "write up" shit?
What is she going to write up and where does it go?
No wonder teachers can't teach shit these days, they are "writing" kids up for shit that happends out of school.

Remember the old saying... "those who can't, teach"
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:25:45 PM EDT

Originally Posted By LArifleMAN:
Your kids at home being kids, WTF is the schools problem.

The whole would is becoming pussified and it's a damn shame.

+1
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:28:46 PM EDT
Well in this PC world i am not in the least bit surprised.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:31:28 PM EDT

Originally Posted By yobo:
What is this "write up" shit?
What is she going to write up and where does it go?
No wonder teachers can't teach shit these days, they are "writing" kids up for shit that happends out of school.

Remember the old saying... "those who can't, teach"

Write Up

verb - Bullshit action whereby helpless, useless teacher administers 'discipline' by the filling out and subsequent filing of a 'Discipline Referral;' A form that explains in vague detail the supposed infraction of the student against said useless teacher. It is submitted to the dean or other administrator, and generally results in the eventual discipline of said student, through verbal or written reprimand, parental contact, in or ot of school suspension, work detail, detentions, or any combination of the above. It is a process generally held in humorous contempt by the student body of any learning facility, due to it's seemingly ominous nature, but eventual anti-climactic outcome.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:32:21 PM EDT
Schools have authority over incidents with students during school and school activities, and during the time after school before the kids reach their parents, their home, or a home they are authorized to be at.

This was stepping way out of bounds, and what the fuck is with the mom calling the teacher instead of, say, the parents of the kid?

Stupid on the teacher and mom.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:35:40 PM EDT

Originally Posted By leelaw:
Schools have authority over incidents with students during school and school activities, and during the time after school before the kids reach their parents, their home, or a home they are authorized to be at.

This was stepping way out of bounds, and what the fuck is with the mom calling the teacher instead of, say, the parents of the kid?

Stupid on the teacher and mom.

You know as well as I do that the indoctrinated sheep are taught to contact 'authority.' Apparently, the parent though the teacher was the necessary 'authority' to go to.

God forbid we grow a spine, and contact the child's parent.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:44:37 PM EDT
Abolish public schools. Problem solved.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 10:04:48 PM EDT
Suggested book: A Nation of Meddlers, by Charles Edgley and Dennis Brissett. Westview Press, 2000.

GL
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 10:15:37 PM EDT

Here is what happened:

My 8 yo son and the neighbor kid make a phone call to a girl in his class. They get the answering machine and leave this message "Hey [girl's name] I want you.......giggling" then hangs up. Sounds bad but after finding all this out what he meant to say was "I want you to be my girlfriend". Started laughing and hung up before he finished the statement. Anyway he's in trouble with us over calling people without permission and leaving messages.

The first I heard of this was from his school teacher Says he left a vulgar message at a classmates house and they would be writing him up and disciplining him at school because of it (Wait a second there). The girl's mom had called the teacher after hours upon hearing the message on the machine. I know the family and said I would call and find out what was up. After getting my son's side of the story, calling the girl's family and speaking to the dad (who we know) and listening to the message over the phone it was pretty clear that it was "innocent" in nature.

Called the teacher back and told her that it was resolved and a misunderstanding, but she was still saying that she would have to address it. I asked what authority she had over things that happen away from school, "would they write up two kids that got in a fight at home on a saturday ?" She finally agreed that she was "happy" that we settled it on our own and she didn't have to do anything

Weird scenario I know, but I get pissed at this authority teachers and schools sometimes think they have over the kids that attend there.

Edit for grammer

They used to do bullshit like this when I was in school I graduated in 2002. Back when I was in school, if you got into a fight outside of school, school would somehow find out about it and they'd suspend you for fighting, even though it wasn't on school property and had nothing to do with school. Hell, I called some kid's mom a whore once on a Saturday, some other kid who witnessed it decided to tell the guidance counselor at school about it on Monday and I got bitched at. It's like "Fuck you people", when I'm not at school, I am FREE . You should challenge the school on this, because the offense didn't occur during school or on school property, therefore they have no right to attempt to punish him for this. Especially considering that you're punishing him yourself. Nobody should have to face double-jeopardy. I was pissed too about the authoritarian, liberal attitudes possesed by my teachers when I was in school and this kind of stuff is the reason why I'm not in college. I'm not going to pay for the same bullshit that I got for free for 13 years Hell, if anything, their behavior is what turned me into a conservative with libertarian tendencies. This incident, though, should be between you and your son, nobody else.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 10:16:43 PM EDT

Originally Posted By deej86:
Glad it worked out well LANCEMAN.

For what it's all worth:

+1, I know people who had this happen when I was in HS, which is BULLSHIT
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 10:19:08 PM EDT

Originally Posted By the_great_snag:
I don't know what's worse. The schools refusing to discipline the little bastards who act out in school, or when they go to the other extreme and try to discipline them for behavior at home...

Both extremes suck What they need to do is get rid of the mandatory attendance requirement so they can expel these assclowns and not have to let them back in next year. I'd like to see public schools changed so the only kids there are ones who want to be there and all the idiots who act out or aren't making the grade just get kicked out and told "tough shit".
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 10:25:19 PM EDT

Originally Posted By mattimeo:

Originally Posted By uafgrad:

They could do this at my high school, as well. I asked one of the administrators about it, and it was explained to me that schools are acting 'en loco parentis' and had liability and responsibility over the kids from the time they left their doorstep in the morning, until they crossed the threshold again that evening. This is why they could discipline us for 'continuing things outside school.'

I knew of plenty of incidents that occurred outside of school on weekends where word got back to school and people were suspended. Stuff that had no relation to school and didn't even occur on a school day. It's literally like anything you do while you're a student in public school, anytime, anywhere, can get you in trouble if the school finds out. I even had school nazis getting on my case because some idiot neighbor of mine decided he was "concerned" about me being a loner and a gun nut (because I stayed to myself and the other kids in my area were assholes who liked to run off at the mouth), so I had to explain to the guidance counselor the next day that no, I am not going to shoot up the school (no matter how bad you bastards piss me off)
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 10:27:11 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Tim84K10:

Abolish forced attendence, kick bad kids out for good, and stop letting the nanny state have authority that it doesn't deserve.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 10:33:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/1/2006 10:34:19 PM EDT by LVMIKE]
Even in cases where the child did do something worth punishment, having the school take care of said punishment is a terrible idea. Happenings on school grounds are a different matter. Reason I say this, is there is an emotional connection to punishment. With that emotional connection being tied to school, the child will not have this for a while after they leave school. Don't believe me? Worst cases of stupidity I've seen were by kids just out of high school. Alot of times, their notions of accountability are completely screwed until they find the law outside of a school building or grow out of it.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 10:52:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/1/2006 10:58:18 PM EDT by ArmedAndRetarded]
Fuck teachers.
Liberal teachers, liberal reporters and liberal lawyers are the reason America has become so fucked up.
Here in Hawaii, we have about the shittiest public school system in the US. The teachers all say its because their pay is too low (~$40,000 to start).
When I overheard someone say this once, I asked "if we tripled their pay, would they suddenly become better teachers?"
Drive past a public school at dismissal time and it looks like a fucking jail break. All the boys look like wiggers and the girls all dress like little hookers.

People shoud be responsible for paying for their own kids' education. Why should I have to pay such high taxes so your ugly can go to public school and become a failure (and a registered Democrat)? Most of the kids nowadays graduate stupid and are out of control, but they know all about gay rights and the environment.

Also, if the welfare races had to pay for their own kids' education they would probably stop having kids they can't afford.

I also hate kids and old people. I was in Costco today and this bitch walks out of the aisle in front of me without looking. I started to swerve my cart to avoid hitting her, but then I decided fuck it, and I rammed her in the leg with my shopping cart. I hope she was a public school teacher and I crippled her for life.
A little while later, I was pushing my cart down the crowded center aisle that leads to the check-out registers and some old bag with her ugly kid tries to cut in front of me. I kept pushing foward and the snot-nosed little 10 year old brat has the nerve to turn around and hold his hand up directly in front of my face as if ordering me to stop. I yelled at the little punk to get his fucking hand out of my face before I knock the shit of him, and the old bag throws his arms around him and says to me in a terrified voice "He's just kidding! He's just kidding!"
I hope I traumatized that kid so much that he goes to school tomorrow with his dad's rifle and shoots up the place then commits suicide.

uuhhh what was I talking about?
Oh yeah. Fuck teachers!

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 11:03:45 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ArmedAndRetarded:
Fuck teachers.
Liberal teachers, liberal reporters and liberal lawyers are the reason America has become so fucked up.
Here in Hawaii, we have about the shittiest public school system in the US. The teachers all say its because their pay is too low (~$40,000 to start).
When I overheard someone say this once, I asked "if we tripled their pay, would they suddenly become better teachers?"
Drive past a public school at dismissal time and it looks like a fucking jail break. All the boys look like wiggers and the girls all dress like little hookers.

People shoud be responsible for paying for their own kids' education. Why should I have to pay such high taxes so your ugly can go to public school and become a failure (and a registered Democrat)? Most of the kids nowadays graduate stupid and are out of control, but they know all about gay rights and the environment.

Also, if the welfare races had to pay for their own kids' education they would probably stop having kids they can't afford.

I also hate kids and old people. I was in Costco today and this bitch walks out of the aisle in front of me without looking. I started to swerve my cart to avoid hitting her, but then I decided fuck it, and I rammed her in the leg with my shopping cart. I hope she was a public school teacher and I crippled her for life.
A little while later, I was pushing my cart down the crowded center aisle that leads to the check-out registers and some old bag with her ugly kid tries to cut in front of me. I kept pushing foward and the snot-nosed little 10 year old brat has the nerve to turn around and hold his hand up directly in front of my face as if ordering me to stop. I yelled at the little punk to get his fucking hand out of my face before I knock the shit of him, and the old bag throws his arms around him and says to me in a terrified voice "He's just kidding! He's just kidding!"
I hope I traumatized that kid so much that he goes to school tomorrow with his dad's rifle and shoots up the place then commits suicide.

uuhhh what was I talking about?
Oh yeah. Fuck teachers!

Jeeze man. Take a chill pill.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 2:18:23 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Tim84K10:

Really?

How is your average middle-class parent going to provide homeschooling? Private schools?
Sure it all sounds fine and dandy but what's going to happen if the parents can't afford homeschooling or the private schools?
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 2:32:35 AM EDT
When I was going through school in Fairfax, VA back in 2000, they had something in the code of conduct that said you could receive suspensions and/or expulsion if you were to get in a fight with someone who also went to your school outside of school. Liberal communism at work. MJD
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 2:40:26 AM EDT
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 2:52:39 AM EDT
Back when I was in highschool (many, many moons ago), I remember an incident of when all of the students were called to gather in the gymnasium just so our principle and assistant principle could tell all of us that "yes, what you do or don't do off campus can cause you to be disciplined on campus because we were all students of xyz highschool and, as such, we were representatives of our school so any bad behavior on our part away from school could lead to discipline at school." For the record, this was at a private school in south georgia circa 1988 or 89.

Needless to say, the students didn't like that policy all that much.

Honestly, our principle was a fair minded (but tough) man who, in my opinion, could be trusted to do what was right for the right reasons but, IMO, our assistant principle was a straight, 100%, grade A, USDA quality, jackass. Many times back then, I had school time fantasies of walking up to him in a hallway somewhere and beating the ever-living crap out of him because I despised that man so much. Oh and, in the interest of fairness and full disclosure, I was honestly a well-behaved student and I did my best to do what was right and stay out of trouble so I didn't find myself inside his crosshairs all that often. Even so, I saw how he treated others there and my opinion of him being a first class jerk still stands.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:49:08 AM EDT

Originally Posted By ElevenO:
Back when I was in highschool (many, many moons ago), I remember an incident of when all of the students were called to gather in the gymnasium just so our principle and assistant principle could tell all of us that "yes, what you do or don't do off campus can cause you to be disciplined on campus because we were all students of xyz highschool and, as such, we were representatives of our school so any bad behavior on our part away from school could lead to discipline at school." For the record, this was at a private school in south georgia circa 1988 or 89.

Needless to say, the students didn't like that policy all that much.

Honestly, our principle was a fair minded (but tough) man who, in my opinion, could be trusted to do what was right for the right reasons but, IMO, our assistant principle was a straight, 100%, grade A, USDA quality, jackass. Many times back then, I had school time fantasies of walking up to him in a hallway somewhere and beating the ever-living crap out of him because I despised that man so much. Oh and, in the interest of fairness and full disclosure, I was honestly a well-behaved student and I did my best to do what was right and stay out of trouble so I didn't find myself inside his crosshairs all that often. Even so, I saw how he treated others there and my opinion of him being a first class jerk still stands.

We had the same BS policy at ours and it was a public school. Except they knew better than to claim us idiot kids were representative of anything but stupidity. So they just gave us the typical "this is a dictatorship, not a democracy" line whenever they'd give us authoritarian BS. Their behavior makes me appreciate the Constitution and freedom a whole lot more than I might have otherwise. You never really appreciate those things until somebody tries to take them from you/deny you those things.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:53:05 AM EDT
I lived in a bordertown during part of high school and they would set up traps once in a while at the border and kids who were found to have been drinking would get punished at school, I think they got in-school suspension.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top