Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/3/2012 1:11:57 PM EDT
I have only owned two systems in my life, the old greybox and a PS2 back in 2007.

Which is better? Xbox or the PS3? What are the major differences?

I'm looking for some stuff to play some first person shooters on. I don't care for sports games.
I got frustrated with the PS2 back when I had it because they were all "corridor" games that forced you through limited landscapes.

Any advice/ knowledge would be GREATLY appreciated!

ETA: Any new systems scheduled for this year on the rumor mill that I may want to hold out for?
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 1:12:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I have only owned two systems in my life, the old greybox and a PS2 back in 2007.

I'm looking for some stuff to play some first person shooters on. I don't care for sports games.
I got frustrated with the PS2 back when I had it because they were all "corridor" games that forced you through limited landscapes.

Get 360, get skyrim.

WIll add more later.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 1:15:50 PM EDT
[#2]
There is a new Xbox and play station coming but I forget when the date is.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 1:16:39 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm not sure of any release dates, but aren't both those consoles close to their end of life cycle?  If you can, hold off on either.  If you can't, buy a used console.  I like xbox personally.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 1:17:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Get 360, get skyrim.

WIll add more later.

bf3

forza 4

bioshock

singularity

the orange box

portal 2

mass effect 1 2 3

dirt 2 or 3

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 1:19:21 PM EDT
[#5]
I had a thread a little while back where I was asking the same thing. Maybe it'll help you out some.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1325775_PS3_vs_Xbox_360___Went_with_the_Xbox.html
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 1:19:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
There is a new Xbox and play station coming but I forget when the date is.

Holiday next year at the earliest. Neither Microsoft nor Sony said anything at all about Durango or Orbis at E3.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 1:19:36 PM EDT
[#7]
pretty much over hyped PoS releases, nothing new, nothing innovative. all cut scene theme park crap.

fuck gaming sucks the big dick right now.

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 1:21:49 PM EDT
[#8]
game suck these days.  Devs release games and completely unfinished and work in progress BS form.  Especially if you own a PS3 and get multiplats like BF3.  I would wait till next gen....They have turned my PS3 into a dust collector.

I honestly think theres going to be another gaming market crash before devs and publishers get their act together.  its pitiful.  I don't even play on getting the next gen systems.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 1:21:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Get the 360
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 1:22:23 PM EDT
[#10]
XBox has more games, a larger multiplayer community, and the superior online service (though you have to pay for it).  Some exclusives (Gears, Halo), but they're fewer.  Better downloadable content, too.

PS3 has some good exclusives (Metal Gear, Drake's...) but is somewhat lackluster elsewhere.  Online services aren't quite as good, but they work and it's free.  BluRay player is a bonus if you'll use it.

I run an XBox, and I prefer it.  Do some research on your own, though.
When you buy, get the largest hard drive you can - you will use it all up, trust me.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 1:24:14 PM EDT
[#11]
If you play multiplayer a lot, then the only reasonable choice is to pick whichever more of your friends have; PS3 of XBOX.  Neither one does anything that much better than the other, so really, just get the platform that more of your friends play on.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 1:25:50 PM EDT
[#12]
If you ask which is better, PS3 or 360, you will find about an even 50/50 split among the people here. We have done polls here and that's how they would come out.  I prefer a PC to either, but I know that's not what you asked.  I do own a 360 and have had zero problems with it and would recommend one to anyone.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 1:26:42 PM EDT
[#13]
PC
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 1:31:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I had a thread a little while back where I was asking the same thing. Maybe it'll help you out some.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1325775_PS3_vs_Xbox_360___Went_with_the_Xbox.html

Should've searched, my bad.

Good info, though, thanks everybody. Barring finding out something is coming out in a few months, 360 it is.

I'll look into the list of games Callahan and Popsickles put out, thanks guys.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 1:32:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
pretty much over hyped PoS releases, nothing new, nothing innovative. all cut scene theme park crap.

This is why I love GOG.com.  GOG stands for Good Old Games. Of course it's for PC games though.  It has so many great games from years ago, all update to play on windows 7.  Wish I had the time to play them.  

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 1:36:47 PM EDT
[#16]

It's all 'stagnant'.

Not a lot has changed since 2007, to be honest. Halo, STALKER, Crysis, and CoD4: Modern Warfare were big ones back then, and apart from a few titles on PC, not much has changed visually.

Most stuff is multi-platform these days, anyway.

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 1:44:11 PM EDT
[#17]
If you ahve made up your mind about getting a system I will add thing.  Xbox live is literally day care.  If tweens and children are your thing then thats the spot for you.

I don't own a 360, but everytime I played it at my cousins house thats all it was.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 1:46:11 PM EDT
[#18]
I fucking love my Xbox.

I fucking love Skyrim.

Those should be your two deciding factors
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 1:48:03 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Hogwash.

There are some amazing games coming out these days, some of which are unlike anything else.

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 1:51:06 PM EDT
[#20]
My favorite.
I play on Ipad, Iphone or online.
It's older than you are maybe.

Battlezone.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 1:55:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
PC

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 1:56:38 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

There are some amazing games coming out these days, some of which are unlike anything else.

There, that is true. There's also a buttload of the same old franchises coming out, with bugger all changed/fixed.

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 1:56:57 PM EDT
[#23]
get the PS3.

You get tons of shit for free.

you also get free multiplayer gaming.

WIN.

P.S. I own both system and play online on both.

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 2:01:13 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

There, that is true. There's also a buttload of the same old franchises coming out, with bugger all changed/fixed.

So buy the good ones and ignore the bad ones. Ta daaaa!

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 2:04:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good info, though, thanks everybody. Barring finding out something is coming out in a few months, 360 it is.

Just to add to the list a bit:

Borderlands (Borderlands 2 is coming soon)
Left 4 Dead 1&2 (Zombies)
Red Dead Redemption (The End of the Old West with a DLC for Zombies )
Call of Duty Modern Warfare (all three of them)
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 2:14:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Don't disregard the PS3 If you are into FPS games. the Killzone and Resistance franchises are bad assed and IMO better then Halo.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 2:23:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
PC

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 2:27:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Pc gaming is stomping the shit out of consoles.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 2:30:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Mass Effect 3 was pretty good on 360.  The Gears of War franchise is pretty stellar too.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 2:31:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Nobody wants to hunch over a desk anymore.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 2:31:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just to add to the list a bit:

Borderlands (Borderlands 2 is coming soon)
Left 4 Dead 1&2 (Zombies)
Red Dead Redemption (The End of the Old West with a DLC for Zombies )
Call of Duty Modern Warfare (all three of them)

oh come on bf3 kicks the ever lovin shit out of any cod game.

I forgot to add, fallout. Crysis was good. uhh I cant think of anything else right now
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 2:32:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Two letters ........ PC
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 2:33:11 PM EDT
[#33]
ima ps3 fan..but thinkin of pickin up a used 360 just to play left 4 dead...
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 2:37:12 PM EDT
[#34]
I went with a PS3. It's a bluray player that I sometimes play games on.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 2:42:23 PM EDT
[#35]
If you're a super gamer, I guess xbox has slightly noticeable, better graphics.  Both systems have their games that are not available for the other.

I think I made the best choice getting my PS3.  I play games a few times a year.  When I do, it's a hot streak for a good week or 2; after a new shooter comes out.

I don't have to pay to play online (which I think is totally ridiculous) but most importantly, I got a Bluray/DVD player for free with the system.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 3:07:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Just saw an article that says Microsoft just grabbed a new domain name

Something about Xbox 8

http://www.ingame.msnbc.msn.com/technology/ingame/microsoft-grabs-xbox-8-domains-rumors-run-amok-860751
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 3:08:42 PM EDT
[#37]
I have a PS3 but honestly it seems like with the 360 you can get almost all of the same games plus I like the control stick better for shooters than the PS3 controller.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 3:14:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Given the width and breadth of XBLA, I would choose the 360 based on that alone.

Much less the fact that 99% of all multi-platform games are designed for the 360 from the get-go.

Pay the $5/mo for XBL Gold, and enjoy all it has to offer.

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 3:14:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Get 360, get skyrim.

WIll add more later.

Mass Effect 1, 2 ,3
Forza 4
Fallout New Vegas

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 3:22:31 PM EDT
[#40]
After playing Forza 4 ( TopGear UK DLC is soo sick! ) at a friends house last weekend I will now " get both ".  

Depends on your level of gaming, and how much time you plan on gaming being online. Xbox Live is better than PSN ( server wise and users ). IMO the PS3 is a more reliable console and crashes less than the 360 ( at least on the older 360 consoles ). I don't like the fact that if you look at your PS3 and think of turning it on, there will be a system or software update as soon as you do. Also aimbot fags (aka hackers and cheaters )run rampant in PSN not so much in XBL.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 3:23:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Two words. Dwarf Fortress.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 3:28:17 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nobody wants to hunch over a desk anymore.

Actually, I do better on those when it comes to FPS games, than I do on a console. I love my computer.

Then again I love my xbox too Aliens: Colonial Marines is gonna be fucking win!!

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 3:37:43 PM EDT
[#43]
I've bought every game console since the Atari. The only "new-ish" console I still own is my 2nd gen black XBox (had two "white" XBoxes, both self-destructed)... and I honestly only play it perhaps once a month if that, usually when friends come over.

My main gaming machine is still my PC.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 3:46:34 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I went with a PS3. It's a bluray player that I sometimes play games on.

And PC FTW!
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 4:31:28 PM EDT
[#45]
I've had both, settled on the Xbox, but dont play much anymore.

The same old games, repeated over and over, the ridiculous prices, and the jacking us for downloadable content. Kind of turning into a sham.

Until people stop buying, the market will keep delivering. Dont blame the market, blame the acceptors (demand)
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 4:36:11 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
It's all 'stagnant'.

Not a lot has changed since 2007, to be honest. Halo, STALKER, Crysis, and CoD4: Modern Warfare were big ones back then, and apart from a few titles on PC, not much has changed visually.

Most stuff is multi-platform these days, anyway.

/\ He speaks the truth.

The new MOH,Halo, and Codblops. looks teh suxor.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 4:39:23 PM EDT
[#47]
Borderlands 2 comes out in September.

A 'BAZILLION' guns.

It assigns random but progressing configurations to various gun statistics that you find in loot chests. Pretty fucking cool.
You can get the first one for 20 bucks, worth every penny.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 4:39:41 PM EDT
[#48]
Xbox is for children

PS3 is for grown ups

Which are you?
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 4:50:55 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Also aimbot fags (aka hackers and cheaters )run rampant in PSN not so much in XBL.

Not true.  Hacking is as common on PS3 as it is on 360.  Which is nothing compared to PC.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top