Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/7/2007 1:26:40 PM EDT
Looking to sell my 1998 Yamaha YZF600R and pick up a Sportster 1200.  I am really interested in the custom model (XL1200C).  Need some input from those in the know.  What to look for?  Any major upgrade during a certain model year?  Common problem areas?  I have been looking at the early 2000's models.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/7/2007 1:48:37 PM EDT
[#1]
I almost got a 1200C but went with the 1200L instead. It just fit me better. I did have to add the forward controls, which seem to come pre-installed on the 1200C.

I really like mine. You'll have people joke about it, and laugh at it..etc, but most of the people that pick at you for your choice of bike don't ride one...at all.
Link Posted: 6/7/2007 1:52:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Youre going to get your balls busted about riding a girls bike.
Link Posted: 6/7/2007 1:55:58 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

see?
Link Posted: 6/7/2007 2:00:27 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Which is really funny, since the Sporty 1200 has always handily outrun the "Big Twins," both in a straight line and especially where you actually have to, you know... turn.

The 2004 and up Sportsters have rubber-mounted motors.  2003 and previous are rigid mounts.  By most accounts, the newer ones are worlds smoother than the older ones due to this.  Other than that, Evo Sportsters have had mostly minor changes in their entire production run.  Find a good deal, and go for it!
Link Posted: 6/7/2007 2:02:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice bike...my girlfriend drives one.  
Link Posted: 6/7/2007 2:03:05 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Which is really funny, since the Sporty 1200 has always handily outrun the "Big Twins," both in a straight line and especially where you actually have to, you know... turn.

The 2004 and up Sportsters have rubber-mounted motors.  2003 and previous are rigid mounts.  By most accounts, the newer ones are worlds smoother than the older ones due to this.  Other than that, Evo Sportsters have had mostly minor changes in their entire production run.  Find a good deal, and go for it!

someone who might actually have ridden one.

My sportster isn't a crotch rocket by any means, but it'll lay waste to most other upright bikes, but I didn't buy it to race, I bought it to ride and enjoy.

Link Posted: 6/7/2007 6:16:46 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Ride it for you, not them.  Don't like my 883? I don't give a rats' ass.
People will bust your balls for not riding a Harley, for riding a Harley, for riding a cruiser, for riding a sportster.... just ride it
Link Posted: 6/8/2007 4:37:15 PM EDT
[#8]
I had a 95 sporty at one time. Bullet proof bike. My only bitch was the short wheel base. It kinda cramped me up. I hear that the newer sportys have been stretched a bit. The only HD big twin that can even come close to comparing is the older FXR. Thats what I want to find...
Link Posted: 6/8/2007 4:44:59 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a '95

fwd controls

it goes.

I'd rather have a Road King or something equivalent.  The bike is not big enough for the longer rides I like to do.
Link Posted: 6/10/2007 5:01:18 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I have a '95

fwd controls

it goes.

I'd rather have a Road King or something equivalent.  The bike is not big enough for the longer rides I like to do.

Well, thats just what I did. I still have a few sportier bikes for day trips etc.. but the Road King is my main ride now. Look in the EE Coltsbr has a nice dresser for sale for $6500. Pretty good looking bike.
Link Posted: 6/10/2007 7:40:31 PM EDT
[#11]
I had a '99, 01, 04, and an 05 sportster, all 1200 customs except the 04 which was a Roadster.

I enjoyed them very much.  I sort of grew out of the harley phase because of my lower back.  I ride a Suzuki DL650 and don't have nearly the back troubles I had when I rode the Sportsters.  

They are fun and especially after 04 with the rubber mounted engines, but the suspension is what it is and I do alot of long road trips (Like from Iowa to Sturgis in 05) and it became too much.

Patrick
Link Posted: 6/11/2007 7:41:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Don't listen to what the idiots say. I'm going through the same thing right now. I was going to get the 1200C but decided against it. I'm a fat ass and should get one of the bigger twins.  

A buddy of mine did bring a problem with the Sporties to my attention. They have very poor resale value. If you buy it, make sure you plan to keep it for awhile. I have three buddies that traded them in within six months after buying them. One regrets it. He feels he should have kept it and the Fat Boy he picked up. He said the Sporty was better for tooling around the neighborhood.
Link Posted: 6/12/2007 4:15:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Found a 2002 XL1200C with 14,300 miles for $5000.  Drag pipes, Harley windshield, new back tire, everything else is good and clean.  Probably going to go pick it up tomorrow.  Decent deal around these parts.  Any opinions??
Link Posted: 6/14/2007 2:50:02 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Riiiiiiight. Yeah.
Link Posted: 6/14/2007 3:59:52 AM EDT
[#15]
I just got ahold of a 1998 Sportster 1200S, the sport model.  Has different suspension, tachometer, and larger brakes than the 1200C or L.  It'll get up and run when you want it to.  I'm still trying to get used to the wide powerband and torque of that bike.  I used to ride a CBR 600 so it's a world of difference.  My 1200S has had a few mods including K&N air filter, Screamin' Eagle pipes, highway pegs, bags, etc.  Nothing major or anything.  I've only put about 400 miles on it and so far it's been good.  Much more comfy than my CBR and doesn't vibrate badly.  You feel some vibration when you're pushing 4000 RPM, or get up around 80 mph, but I don't usually do either.  It's too early for me to recommend this motorcycle to anybody else, but my initial impressions are good and if you do get a 1200, I would think yours would be too.  MJD
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 12:36:37 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Found a 2002 XL1200C with 14,300 miles for $5000.  Drag pipes, Harley windshield, new back tire, everything else is good and clean.  Probably going to go pick it up tomorrow.  Decent deal around these parts.  Any opinions??

Well, I bought the above mentioned bike.  Here are the required pics.  I took the windshield off.  Probably only use it if I go on a long ride.

Link Posted: 6/17/2007 1:55:38 PM EDT
[#17]
chick bike

sorry, but it is
just like a VW Cabriolet
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 3:37:03 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
chick bike   I think you're referring to the Douschecotti

sorry, but it is
just like a VW Cabriolet

Not quite , more like a Muffstang compared to Lincolns and Cadillacs.

Wanted a quick Harley and couldn't spend $30,000 for a Screamin Chicken Road King

Link Posted: 6/17/2007 3:55:00 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Looking to sell my 1998 Yamaha YZF600R and pick up a Sportster 1200.  I am really interested in the custom model (XL1200C).  Need some input from those in the know.  What to look for?  Any major upgrade during a certain model year?  Common problem areas?  I have been looking at the early 2000's models.  Thanks.

Chick bike.  Buy a Triumph.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top