Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2009 2:38:29 AM EDT
I did a search and didn't come up with much, so ....

Just got a new pick-up truck (Ford F-150 Raptor) and want to put a bed-liner in it.

What are the pros and cons of conventional verses spray-in?

What are the best conventionals and the best spray-ins?

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 8/30/2009 4:39:30 AM EDT
[#1]

LINE-X Spray-On Truck Bedliners

http://www.line-x.com/
I had this sprayed into my 1998 Silverado bed in OCT of 1997.  I've carried tree limbs, lumber, rocks, dirt, metal odds and ends out of my garage, etc. and have yet to find ANY damage of any kind. I personally think this is the BEST bed liner out there.

Link Posted: 8/30/2009 4:46:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

LINE-X Spray-On Truck Bedliners

http://www.line-x.com/

I had this sprayed into my 1998 Silverado bed in OCT of 1997.  I've carried tree limbs, lumber, rocks, dirt, metal odds and ends out of my garage, etc. and have yet to find ANY damage of any kind. I personally think this is the BEST bed liner out there.

http://www.line-x.com/images/LINE-XAdvantage.gif

+1 on Line X.  Lifetime warranty.  Had my 2002 Ranger sprayed and have
hauled a lot of shit ranging from tree limbs, gravel and concrete blocks.
No damage.  

Good product.
Link Posted: 8/30/2009 4:59:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Line-X is all you need to know.

I had my 2000 Silverado do on the way home form the dealership.

It hauled everything from loads of gravel to loads of bricks, ATV's to loads of scrap iron.

Never a dent or scratch.

I was torn on whether to have the top of the bed done.

I decided to, and never regretted it.

My new Ford will get the same treatment, the day I pick it up.
Link Posted: 8/30/2009 6:53:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I had my 2000 Silverado do on the way home form the dealership.

It hauled everything from loads of gravel to loads of bricks, ATV's to loads of scrap iron.

Never a dent or scratch.

I was torn on whether to have the top of the bed done.

I decided to, and never regretted it.

My new Ford will get the same treatment, the day I pick it up.

Line-X sounds good.

Only problem is that the closest shop is 50-miles away and I only have one vehicle.

How long does the process take?

We have a Rhino-Liner dealer in town - how are they?

What are the down sides of a conventional factory Ford (or any other make) liner?

I won't be doing too much conventional hauling - only very rare occasions.

Link Posted: 8/30/2009 7:14:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Just remember that the spray-in bedliners suck if you try to slide anything heavy into the bed. If you want to do that, you should slap a piece of plywood in the bottom of the bed. My truck has rhino-lining and I haven't had any problems with it. I don't think rhino-lining vs. line-x really makes any difference, at least not with what I have seen.
Link Posted: 8/30/2009 7:34:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/30/2009 7:46:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Rhino  bad

Line X   good

Mine was done while I waited.  I had them pull the bolts and tie downs out of the bed too.  They sprayed the bed and then replaced the hardware.  You never know when you might have to replace a tie down or the bed might have to come off.
Link Posted: 8/30/2009 7:55:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Another Line-X recommendation here. If the bed will remain uncovered and in the sun, pay the extra little bit of money for the UV protectant additive they offer - it prevents fade.
Link Posted: 8/30/2009 7:57:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Just remember that the spray-in bedliners suck if you try to slide anything heavy into the bed. If you want to do that, you should slap a piece of plywood in the bottom of the bed. My truck has rhino-lining and I haven't had any problems with it. I don't think rhino-lining vs. line-x really makes any difference, at least not with what I have seen.

Rhino is softer and almost rubbery. Line-X is hard and much more slippery. I actually have a rubber mat I use sometimes in my truck to keep stuff from sliding around.
Link Posted: 8/30/2009 1:04:11 PM EDT
[#10]
My pickup was Rhino-lined when I bought it.  You can tell that it's been beat, but it's holding up really good.  No complaints here.
Link Posted: 8/30/2009 1:12:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Ive used vehicles with a couple different kinds and the line-x holds up better IMO....the rhino may be a bit "grippier" but it fades in sunlight and has some other qualities I dont care for.

Link Posted: 8/30/2009 1:24:08 PM EDT
[#12]
I got Line-x and love it.  It'll fade but doesn't affect it's durability.   I even had the inside of my truck  tool box Line-x, way cool
Link Posted: 8/30/2009 1:29:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Ive used vehicles with a couple different kinds and the line-x holds up better IMO....the rhino may be a bit "grippier" but it fades in sunlight and has some other qualities I dont care for.

Can you elaborate on the qualities you don't care for?

I guess this is sort of tangential to the OP's original question, but I've been debating ripping up the faded, nasty worn out carpet in my bass boat and spraying the deck with one of the truck bedliners, but I really don't know the first thing about them.  Rubbery, grippy, indestructible and weatherproof are what I'd be looking for - fading would be annoying but no big deal.  Anyone ever tried this?
Link Posted: 8/30/2009 4:56:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can you elaborate on the qualities you don't care for?

I guess this is sort of tangential to the OP's original question, but I've been debating ripping up the faded, nasty worn out carpet in my bass boat and spraying the deck with one of the truck bedliners, but I really don't know the first thing about them.  Rubbery, grippy, indestructible and weatherproof are what I'd be looking for - fading would be annoying but no big deal.  Anyone ever tried this?

Well, one of the things Ive seen is it kind of "rip" when a sharp metal edge gouges it...being that its semi-rubbery and soft.

The line-x Ive seen and used is much more indestructible...but the downside is that you dont get as much of a "grippy" surface...but that too is debatable since the line-x is more like a sandpaper and the rhino lining is more like a neoprene feel.

Just my .02....YMMV

I think that either would work and you would probably be happy with whichever one you went with...but from what Ive seen I like the line-x better.  With that being said the rhino may be better for use in a boat, youll just have to check each out and make your own assessment.
Link Posted: 8/30/2009 5:13:01 PM EDT
[#15]
drfcolt,
If you don't mind me asking, where in PA are you?  I lived near Reading when I bought my Titan and had a local LineX dealer spray my liner.  The Reading dealer did an outstanding job and was very detail oriented.  While I'm back where I belong in NEPA now, IMHO it's worth the 50 mile drive to get a LineX liner.  Mine still looks brand new.  Your new SVT Raptor deserves the best.  
Link Posted: 8/30/2009 6:24:33 PM EDT
[#16]
I have a spray in liner called "Gator Hyde" and I love it.  One of my friends has it in his truck and I was really impressed with it.

Main site: http://www.gatorhyde.com/

PA locations: http://www.gatorhyde.com/find-a-dealer/dealersf6e3.html?c=pennsylvania
Link Posted: 8/30/2009 8:11:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Rhino or Line-X is almost a Ford/Chevy debate...done right, you'll be very happy with either. Done wrong...well, it won't be a happy time....Drop in liners have a big negative to them, eventually the paint underneath will be burnished off by the liner rubbing against it and you can start to develop rust. I say big negative because I tend to keep my vehicles awhile. If you aren't keeping it more than a year or two, go cheap. And don't think that a drop in liner won't get moisture underneatah it, from condensenation if nothing else.
Link Posted: 8/31/2009 1:44:19 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
drfcolt,
If you don't mind me asking, where in PA are you?  I lived near Reading when I bought my Titan and had a local LineX dealer spray my liner.  The Reading dealer did an outstanding job and was very detail oriented.  While I'm back where I belong in NEPA now, IMHO it's worth the 50 mile drive to get a LineX liner.  Mine still looks brand new.  Your new SVT Raptor deserves the best.  

I'm in Lock Haven.

Nearest Line-X dealer is in Mansfield - about 50-miles and not a bad drive.

Link Posted: 8/31/2009 3:50:44 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
drfcolt,

I'm in Lock Haven.

Nearest Line-X dealer is in Mansfield - about 50-miles and not a bad drive.

Ah, Mansfield is my alma mater.  You'll get to take a beatiful drive and get the best liner on the market.  It's a win/win.  
Link Posted: 9/4/2009 9:11:41 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Line-X sounds good.

Only problem is that the closest shop is 50-miles away and I only have one vehicle.

I dropped mine off, and walked a couple of blocks to a restaurant. Had lunch and sat for a bit. Walked back and they were just putting the tailgate back on. I was out of there as soon as I paid the bill.

Over all, I think it took a little more than an hour.

If you have a brand new vehicle, you won't want to watch.

Several guys with air sanders jumped in the back and started scuffing up the paint. It has to be scuffed up, or the stuff won't stick.
Link Posted: 9/4/2009 2:47:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Line-x would probably be best, but I have a drop-in Penda liner and THAT is one tough bed-liner for cheap.
Link Posted: 9/4/2009 10:37:13 PM EDT
[#22]
another vote for line-x, very happy with it
Link Posted: 9/5/2009 6:50:39 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Line-X sounds good.

I dropped mine off, and walked a couple of blocks to a restaurant. Had lunch and sat for a bit. Walked back and they were just putting the tailgate back on. I was out of there as soon as I paid the bill.

Over all, I think it took a little more than an hour.

If you have a brand new vehicle, you won't want to watch.

Several guys with air sanders jumped in the back and started scuffing up the paint. It has to be scuffed up, or the stuff won't stick.

Yeah, I was a bit "uncomfortable" when they went at my truck's bed too.  They used some kind of sponge scuffing pads on mine, but to see that beautiful shiny new paint violated like that was a bit weird. In this case the end definitely justifies the means.
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 9:24:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Had a friend/owner of a Line-X spray my bed and the bottom, bumpers, etc. of my truck and I love it.

WORLD of difference!
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 9:32:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Since no one's said it: get both!
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 10:02:14 PM EDT
[#26]
You been schooled, now go get a Line-X.
Link Posted: 9/9/2009 2:16:23 AM EDT
[#27]
Thanks for the great information - Line-X seems the way to go ..............

But considering the fact that I won't be using the bed very hard at all, I went with the following for now:
- rubber bed mat
- tail-gate cover
- Extang Trifecta folding bed cover

Link Posted: 9/9/2009 2:23:46 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

+1.  It's the first thing I do to any new truck I buy.  Don't even mess around with the other options, they're all inferior.

Link Posted: 9/9/2009 7:58:42 AM EDT
[#29]
If you want a spray in get Line-X.

If you don't, get a DualLiner.

I did not want a spray in liner so I got a DualLiner and have been very happy with it.
Link Posted: 9/9/2009 5:30:08 PM EDT
[#30]
How do you like the Raptor? They're sexy, I want one.
Link Posted: 9/9/2009 9:33:12 PM EDT
[#31]
get plastic

they only rust on Toyotas

i want a bedrug
Link Posted: 9/11/2009 6:58:14 AM EDT
[#32]
Whats the cost for LineX for the average short bed?
Link Posted: 9/11/2009 8:46:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Had a friend/owner of a Line-X spray my bed and the bottom, bumpers, etc. of my truck and I love it.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a154/mudonthetires10/My%20Truck/DSCN0031_044.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a154/mudonthetires10/My%20Truck/DSCN0032_045.jpg

WORLD of difference!

More pictures of your truck please..... LOL
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 2:03:09 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

$450-ish. Mine was $450 on a full sized Dodge short bed including the fade resistant additive 2 years ago.
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 5:18:05 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I paid $400 in 2001.  Cost can vary by dealer though...
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 5:28:07 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

$450-ish. Mine was $450 on a full sized Dodge short bed including the fade resistant additive 2 years ago.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 4:34:17 PM EDT
[#37]
The best you can get is called SPEEDLINER.  Its the only spray in liner on the market with kevlar in it.  Its long lasting and comes in many colors.  It can be sprayed in smooth or rough.  It stays looking really nice for a long time unlike rhino and linex.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 6:20:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a154/mudonthetires10/My%20Truck/DSCN0031_044.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a154/mudonthetires10/My%20Truck/DSCN0032_045.jpg

WORLD of difference!

More pictures of your truck please..... LOL

Where is the best place to post them?
I don't want to hog the thread on pictures that may not be bedliner related...
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 8:44:40 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

The best you can get is called SPEEDLINER.  Its the only spray in liner on the market with kevlar in it.  Its long lasting and comes in many colors.  It can be sprayed in smooth or rough.  It stays looking really nice for a long time unlike rhino and linex.
Had a full glass of the koolaid I see.

Link Posted: 9/15/2009 9:08:18 PM EDT
[#40]
I remember a thread just like this awhile ago and I someone told me the first time they put anything in the bed after it was line X'd they got huge rips in it and would never get the stuff again. I argued with him that I have had Line X in the bed of my truck for more than 8 years and it still looks brand new after a good spray down (I do have a cap so Fade is not an issue) but not to long ago I helped a friend move around his 14 Bolt axle a couple times to get it welded...  needless to say I now have nice big cuts in my Line X from the axle being dragged on it and it hit the edge of the tailcap with the drum backing plate by accident, and it ripped it on the edge.. I will get it touched up but just remember THIS STUFF CAN TEAR so dont be too hard on it.. that said I never had a problem with any wood I was hauling doing any damage (And I haul pallets all the time for Bon Fires)

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:12:32 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Thanks for the great information - Line-X seems the way to go ..............

But considering the fact that I won't be using the bed very hard at all, I went with the following for now:
- rubber bed mat
- tail-gate cover
- Extang Trifecta folding bed cover

I'm a relatively light user as well.  I've had a Rhino Liner since new (Aug '03), and there's not a scratch or mark on it.  I've got an Extang FullTilt cover, so fade isn't an issue.  A few times a year I'm shoveling dirt or mulch out of it, no damage.  Often over the summer there's wood in it for campfires, no damage.  Lots of camping trips w/ a bed full of shit, no damage.  Help move people, no damage.  You get the idea!

Now that its older, its a bit more slippery, but still more grippy than LineX appears to be (never had it, only seen friends).  I like the fact that stuff doesn't move around so easily.  I hated my plastic liner (on a different truck) for that reason.  I've never had a problem w/ moving heavy items on it.

Personally, I'd call up both places and get prices.  Weigh the price and your time for a 100 mile round trip.  Applied properly, I'm sure you'll be happy with either product.

K
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:53:47 AM EDT
[#42]
I'm considering getting a Line X on a truck that I just bought.  The truck comes with a nice one piece Tonneau cover (from ARE).  Assuming the tonneau cover would stay on most of the time, should I get the Line X spray beneath or over the rails?  Does it make a huge difference?
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 10:20:31 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I bet their warrantee service is excellent. It varies by dealer, as opposed to the lifetime nationwide warrantee Line-X has. Also, I was not able to even find a dealer for Speedliner, nor a price. No thanks.  Also, Line-X has an additive that pervents fading although they charge an extra $50 or so for it, and Line-X can be had in virtually any color.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:30:15 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I'm considering getting a Line X on a truck that I just bought.  The truck comes with a nice one piece Tonneau cover (from ARE).  Assuming the tonneau cover would stay on most of the time, should I get the Line X spray beneath or over the rails?  Does it make a huge difference?

I got over the rails because I step and/or load stuff that hit the top of the bed on occasion. The paint on the bed was never going to look good over time, so I got it covered.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top