Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 3/14/2011 2:05:00 PM EST
I just switched to Verizon and the signal is weak at my house. It has a great signal many places where AT&T wouldn't work at all though.

Anyone using one of the home signal boosters? Does it make a difference?

Thanks for any replies.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 2:07:42 PM EST
tag.

been thinking about this myself.

there are a lot of gadgets like this used out here on location drilling wells in the middle of nowhere

http://3gstore.com/product/1581_wilson_electronics_soho-kit.html

Not sure which are the better ones and all that, but i do know they work.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 2:10:59 PM EST
I'm using one.
Previously had no service in my home and around my yard. Now I get service in the house and about 50yrd area around the house.
You do need a internet hook up for the verizon box. It seems to jam at&t phones, not sure why.
Best $150 ish I've spent, got rid of the home phone shorty after getting one.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 2:14:41 PM EST
Originally Posted By yellowrexsi:
I'm using one.
Previously had no service in my home and around my yard. Now I get service in the house and about 50yrd area around the house.
You do need a internet hook up for the verizon box. It seems to jam at&t phones, not sure why.

20 years I have been in the business and the method above is the only real way to do it
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 2:25:21 PM EST
Originally Posted By jacuzz1:
Originally Posted By yellowrexsi:
I'm using one.

20 years I have been in the business and the method above is the only real way to do it

Yep, only sucks when the power goes out, or the internet goes out.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 2:51:15 PM EST
Yeah, I saw the network extenders from Verizon that run through the internet, but I don't want my cell phone dependent on that. A Google search turns up quite a few signal boosters. Hopefully some of them work.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 3:25:12 PM EST
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 3:40:53 PM EST
[Last Edit: 3/14/2011 3:44:47 PM EST by TheRocketmac]

That will work too, if he has a small enough area needing coverage.

I think this is more towards what some folks may need (if they truly are in very low-coverage)

http://www.repeaterstore.com/products/repeaterkits/wilson/soho.html

This is similar to what major enterprise companies use for their buildings (think layers of steel/material that dampen signals).

Also, call VzW and ask them to complete a site survey for your neighborhood.
Likely, there's a tower near by that just needs to have a panel aligned. If not, if they get enough requests, they will more than likely add a smaller repeater (like above) for the area.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 3:47:46 PM EST
I bought the Wilson setup for my truck, and it worked so well, that I now have one setup at the house, and a third that we use in the camper.

I picked up the model that allows up to 3 devices to connect, and have had no issues using our 2 phones and an aircard at the same time. FWIW, we no longer have the aircard, but now have a MIFI, and it works with the Wilson as well.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 1:09:17 AM EST

Originally Posted By eric496:
I just switched to Verizon and the signal is weak at my house. It has a great signal many places where AT&T wouldn't work at all though.

Anyone using one of the home signal boosters? Does it make a difference?

Thanks for any replies.

Holy shit yes! My parents live in a valley in the middle of bumfuck, have to go to the top of the hill(2-3 miles) to get 2 bars, complete bullshit. They got a booster and its full bars at their house and across the street. I was very impressed.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 5:39:53 AM EST
I have been using the Wilson boosters for when I'm in buttfucknowhere for several years. Mine is only good for a small area but works good. It recently shit the bed and I called Wilson. They are exchanging it, no questions asked. Really impressed me how they stand behind their product. I wish more companies were like that.
Top Top