Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/15/2010 4:07:30 PM EDT
I want to use a sand/bead blaster setup to clean suppressors, gun parts, etc.

I figure I could also use such a setup to prep things for painting, small automotive parts, stuff like that.

I have a large-ish compressor. If I am cleaning lead off suppressor baffles, I should probably use a cabinet, no?

I was looking at this Black Bull Abrasive Blast Cabinet from Tractor Supply Co. Is it a good deal?

Also, some searching dug up the idea of using a shop-vac, too, for dust. The cabinet above has a filter and a hole of sorts, is that for the vac?

Anyone in the know, what would you recommend?
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 4:13:13 PM EDT
My only experience is with a Harbor Freight stand alone cabinet my buddies have at the fab shop The plastic used for the view port isn't the clearest and it has to be kept full or else the gun doesn't like to pick up sand but it does GREAT other than that. I've used it to clean some carbs with glass beads and they came out looking better than new. Price was the same as the one you linked but it's standalone, actually it looks exactly like the stand alone listed on the same site you linked except the light has it's own housing that sticks up a bit from the top of the unit which I imagine gives a better capacity.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 5:52:42 PM EDT
bump
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 6:00:23 PM EDT
Looks like a good deal, although firearm parts may be a tight squeeze in there. I have very limited blasting experience with my AK builds... I used a similar cabinet and used 70 grit aluminum oxide from Harbor Freight. It seemed to work pretty well. You will need a pretty powerful air compressor, which is the most pricey part of the setup. Too weak of a compressor, and you will only get several blasts out of your gun and spend a lot of time waiting for pressure to come back up - but as you said, you have a good size one already.

I would definately recommend using a cabinet if you can. You will make a LOT less of a mess, almost none, and you can re-use your media for quite a while. If you think you will be doing even a little bit of blasting, it's worth the buy.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 6:01:39 PM EDT
Cabinet looks fine, except you might not be able to get a longer rifle barrel in there.

Vacuum is nice, as its MOST useful part is to keep the dust out of the cabinet to let you SEE what you are doing.

The plastic view port WILL get abraded and useless after awhile, but you can get scrap acrylic to make new ones for dirt cheap.

There are quite a few different blast medias that you can get. If you are "cleaning" small parts or something that you do not want to destroy, you can use bicarbonate soda or walnut shell.

The blast media that you USUALLY find at Tractor Supply, Northern, Harbor Freight etc are USUALLY very abrawsive and good for taking off heavy rust from thick steel...not light rust from thin steel or gun parts.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 6:04:24 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 6:10:27 PM EDT
there is a plastic film you put over the inside of the window to protect it so it does not etch, kind of like tear off's for a helmet windscreen

speed
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 6:27:26 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 6:49:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/15/2010 6:53:25 PM EDT by XDS]
If you go with a cheap cabinet like the harbor freight model like I did, I *highly* recommend that you switch to the T&P skat blast gun. They sell a conversion kit that includes the pickup tube as well. This fixed 90% of my cheap cabinet complaints (clogging, cheap fast wearing nozzles, spitting). Again, make sure your compressor has the balls to keep up or you won't have a good experience with any cabinet.

http://www.tptools.com/Product.aspx?display_id=2320

Edit to add that I used the above conversion on the free standing unit at HF : http://www.harborfreight.com/40-lb-capacity-floor-blast-cabinet-93608.html.

I paid much less than 299$. 20% coupon and catching it on sale are the way to go.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 7:04:14 PM EDT
Tag. Need one bad so I'd like to see what pops up

Took a look at the 399 one at the page you put up for the replacement gun. Is that thing any good? I just don't have the 2g for a pro cabinet.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 7:05:40 PM EDT
I have one from Harbor Freight thats a side opening cabinet. I like the side opening due to the fact I can stick a barrel in and use a piece of card board with a hole and leave the door open.

BUT it seems to be messier. Any time I open the door I lose a little sand. Gets to be annoying.

If I was going to get another one it would be the top opening and I would cut a port hole for barrels and make a cover when not in use.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 8:45:41 PM EDT
huge tag cause I already have all the parts sitting in the garage and am gonna have to do this properly in about 1000 miles once my cam chain tensioner starts to slip. and I have absolutely no clue what to expect or how to do it properly.

All i know is that the media is expensive as hell and I found a great deal on a blaster on amazon
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 4:07:16 AM EDT
Go to: http://www.tptools.com/ they'll have all of the consumables you'll need.
Top Top