Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/28/2004 5:04:10 PM EDT
Specifically, to lift a Toyota Tacoma 4x4 2-4 inches.

4 questions:
1.  What is involved (parts & labor)?

2.  What kind of mechanic should I bring it to?

3.  Will the truck's handling be noticably different?

4.  What types of kits are available?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 8:49:18 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Specifically, to lift a Toyota Tacoma 4x4 2-4 inches.

4 questions:
1.  What is involved (parts & labor)?
lot of labor, esp. cause its IFS

2.  What kind of mechanic should I bring it to?
Have a 4x4 shop do it

3.  Will the truck's handling be noticably different?
Depends on the kit. It could tighten or loosen the suspension. The truck will feel more top heavy, and the bigger tires will make dry steering more difficult

4.  What types of kits are available?
Your big choices are whether or not to replace the rear springs. I suggest you use blocks and traction bars if you get axle hop

Thanks.

Now, I must admit, I am kinda rusty on Toyota lifts, I know Fords, really.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 8:50:30 PM EDT
[#2]
suspension or body lift?
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 8:52:12 PM EDT
[#3]
What year Toy?  
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 8:52:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Best source for Toyota lift kits is Downey-offroad.com
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 8:53:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Make sure you pony up the money to re gear. If you do not have the appropriate gearing your truck will feel sluggish. For 31s get 4.1, for 33s get 4.56, for for 35s get 4.88.

These are low gears. They will hurt your mileage. But trust me, the extra one or so mile to the gallon is worth it for the performance.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 4:02:05 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
suspension or body lift?

The dealer told frame lift was the way to go, so I am looking at that method.  He said going the suspension route may adversely affect the vahicle.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 4:03:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Small penis huh?

SGtar15
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 4:27:40 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Small penis huh?

SGtar15

You are soooo f*cked up dude.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 4:38:31 AM EDT
[#9]
I wish I had too much money and so little common sense to consider a lift kit.

How about saving it for retirement, or education, or something that will make you a better person.

Here is my short list of unfathomable stoopid stuff.

1.  Lift kits
2.  Tats
3.  Piercings
4.  Loud car audio systems
5.  Any of that other Ricer stuff
6.  Video game systems
7.  Particle board furniture
8.  Skateboards
9.  Trampolines
10. Poorly fitting clothes
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 4:51:05 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
suspension or body lift?

The dealer told frame lift was the way to go, so I am looking at that method.  He said going the suspension route may adversely affect the vahicle.

That doesnt make sense, a frame lift is a suspension lift.

Go read, The internet is loaded with Toyota 4x4 sites, Im a Jeeper myself but I run across them all the time.

Start here,  www.4x4wire.com

Link Posted: 8/29/2004 4:54:37 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
suspension or body lift?

frame lift is another way of saying suspension lift,the alternative would be a body lift.body lifts are simply spacers that lift the body away from the frame allowing clearance of larger tires.a suspension(or frame) lift  creates more space between the axles and the rest of the suspension components.this allows clearance of larger  tires as well as increasing suspension articulation.for increased off road performance a suspension lift is superior to a body lift by a wide margin.if done properly the negative handling effects are minimized.if you just want bigger tires because it looks cool,go with a body lift.you can get that done for you for around $300 total as opposed to $1200+ for a susp. lift.hope this helps.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top