Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/10/2009 6:04:12 PM EDT
alright, i use a desktop for all my major stuff.  but i want a netbook for portability reasons.  surfing the net, email, etc.

what brands should i look at?  what brands to stay away from?  what model/processor/hardware should i look for?

i would like to keep it under $400.  i would also like to run Itunes if possible.

so, my urban comando friends, please help this not-to-tech-savy guy out.
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 6:22:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Wait for a little bit for the new nvidia chipset for small systems to come out.

Of course, if you can't wait, nothing wrong with the ones out there as long as you use it for very basic things.
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 6:26:15 PM EDT
[#2]
My wife just picked up the XP-Home version of the Acer One netbook.  She has it running Office 2007, firefox, and all of the other apps she normally uses––and she's very happy with it.  Her battery life has been very good, with a few hours run time before needing to charge.
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 7:18:23 PM EDT
[#3]
I bought one and returned it. the ram was too small. And the fact that I have a notebook also,contributed to my returning it
Link Posted: 9/11/2009 3:32:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/11/2009 7:07:53 AM EDT
[#5]
We have three of the Acer One netbooks.  Love them.  You can add RAM but it's a bit of a PITA.  Youtube has videos of it.
Link Posted: 9/11/2009 1:35:21 PM EDT
[#6]
well, i took cruz5's advice and played around with a few.  for it's intended purposes, it will do what i need it to, and then some.  so i picked up an Acer One for under $300.  
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 1:10:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
well, i took cruz5's advice and played around with a few.  for it's intended purposes, it will do what i need it to, and then some.  so i picked up an Acer One for under $300.  

How's it working out for  you?

I'm just starting to look into netbooks, all I want out of one is high speed internet, don't know much about them yet
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:47:41 PM EDT
[#8]
I've got an Acer, HP, and Lenovo, and it's a toss up across the entire board.

The Lenovo wins in "screen readability" and ease of adding bluetooth and RAM.

The HP keyboard is tops. Edge to edge with more roomy layout.

The Acer is the most affordable of the three.

All three have Atom N270 procs with the Lenovo having 2GB ram/128GB SSD HDD, and the others are 1GB RAM/80GB HDD.

This is all opinion though. Go pick out the one you like the best. Be practical, a netbook isn't for everyone, but are definitely handy.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:10:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Get one with a screen resolution of 1366x768.  I have one of the older ones that is 1024x600.  It is a PITA to install software sometimes.  Installation programs and most programs in general are set up to be run in 1024x768 resolution.  

I have an ASUS model, and it is great for what it is.  Small, ultra-portable for browsing the web or checking e-mail, usually when I am out of town.  I won't be too upset if it gets broken or stolen out of a hotel room.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 9:29:55 AM EDT
[#10]
I picked up the HP 110 at Costco for les than $300. I chose HP over Acer because of the slightly bigger keyboard. Slapped a 2gb in it form Crucial and it works fien for surfing the net, hitting the forums etc. It doesn't really like heavy pic laden sites or a lot of popups. I put Kaspersky for ultraportables on it and that helps knock em down a bit.

It's good for what it is, but a workhorse it ain't, of course it's not meant to be.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 9:47:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Wait for a little bit for the new nvidia chipset for small systems to come out.

What is that going to do?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top