Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/25/2007 9:32:13 PM EDT

Looking for a economical miter saw to cut carbon fiber FF tubes and wood products.

Not rich here.  If Harbor Freight has one, that would be great.

Thanks

ZM
Link Posted: 11/25/2007 10:24:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/26/2007 2:50:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Cheap miter saws are not accurate on their angles, I had a Craftsman and angles never fit tight together when cut on it. After a few years i broke down and bought a DeWalt talk about night and day difference.

To save some money try checking out Craigslist for a used DeWalt or other name brand
Link Posted: 11/26/2007 5:53:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Amazon has DeWalt.  Good sales at Homey Depot too.  Don't go cheap!  

My brother bought a Ryobi, but is always borrowing my 12" DeWalt!
Link Posted: 11/26/2007 11:09:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Lowe's has Delta compound miter saws for under $100. Combine that with a Marathon blade and  you have a nice saw.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 2:01:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Makita and DeWalt both make great (and inexpensive) 10" miter saws that are accurate and hold up well.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 2:44:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 5:02:46 AM EDT
[#7]
I second the buying of a good blade and use mostly freud blades on my miter saw and table saw. The more teeth the cleaner the cut. Don't buy a saw that is too cheap, save up and buy at least a mid grade saw if you want any kind of accuracy. Do not buy a 12" sliding compound Dewalt miter saw. They are not cheap and The one I bought does not cut as square as it should I check the square on both sides of the blade to the fence and it reads square but when cutting a wide board the cut ends up out of square. I took it to a shop and they checked it said it looked fine but I still got the same results. The people I know with the non sliding dewalts have been happy though. If you are not going to be making lots of cuts or using it very often consider a Champion hand miter box. I have one that I use for making fine percise cuts where I want as near as perfection as I can get on smaller projects.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 6:45:12 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
<snip>Do not buy a 12" sliding compound Dewalt miter saw. <snip>.

I agree.  If you need a slider, you should probably be using a table saw.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 6:22:10 PM EDT
[#9]
I would recommend either Makita or Bosch.  Bosch was rated number 1 by fine home building magazine and is an excellent saw.  Dewalts are too bulky and overpriced for the performance they offer.  I personally use a makita 10" sliding compound miter.  If you are only using it to do straight chops there is no real need for a slider or a compound miter, but IMO it is worth the extra money to have a more versatile tool.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 7:01:17 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
<snip>Do not buy a 12" sliding compound Dewalt miter saw. <snip>.

I agree.  If you need a slider, you should probably be using a table saw.

What if you are cutting a compoung angle on anything over 6" or 8" (depending on if you have a 10" or 12" miter saw)? or hell, even just a 45* angle.

I have used and run into the ground a Dewalt slider on a year long job and have nothing but praise for the saw and the company. This saw was the main saw on a job where we manufactured every bit of base, trim, windows, etc right there on site from rough cut redwood logs. It ran almost 8 hours a day and took it. At the end of the job the boss took the saw in for service and it came back like brand new.

But for most a 12" slider is more than they need, we used it on a lot of beam cuts that most people won't be doing.

A good (in fact damn good) slider for most peoples needs is the Hitachi 8".
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 8:53:46 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
<snip>
A good (in fact damn good) slider for most peoples needs is the Hitachi 8".

+1 for the Hitachi - it's a hell of a nice saw!   Smooth, powerful and accurate.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top