Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 11/25/2007 9:32:13 PM EDT

Looking for a economical miter saw to cut carbon fiber FF tubes and wood products.

Not rich here. If Harbor Freight has one, that would be great.

Thanks

ZM
Link Posted: 11/25/2007 10:24:35 PM EDT
Link Posted: 11/26/2007 2:50:11 AM EDT
Cheap miter saws are not accurate on their angles, I had a Craftsman and angles never fit tight together when cut on it. After a few years i broke down and bought a DeWalt talk about night and day difference.

To save some money try checking out Craigslist for a used DeWalt or other name brand
Link Posted: 11/26/2007 5:53:05 AM EDT
Amazon has DeWalt. Good sales at Homey Depot too. Don't go cheap!

My brother bought a Ryobi, but is always borrowing my 12" DeWalt!
Link Posted: 11/26/2007 11:09:13 PM EDT
Lowe's has Delta compound miter saws for under $100. Combine that with a Marathon blade and you have a nice saw.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 2:01:46 PM EDT
Makita and DeWalt both make great (and inexpensive) 10" miter saws that are accurate and hold up well.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 2:44:59 PM EDT
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 5:02:46 AM EDT
I second the buying of a good blade and use mostly freud blades on my miter saw and table saw. The more teeth the cleaner the cut. Don't buy a saw that is too cheap, save up and buy at least a mid grade saw if you want any kind of accuracy. Do not buy a 12" sliding compound Dewalt miter saw. They are not cheap and The one I bought does not cut as square as it should I check the square on both sides of the blade to the fence and it reads square but when cutting a wide board the cut ends up out of square. I took it to a shop and they checked it said it looked fine but I still got the same results. The people I know with the non sliding dewalts have been happy though. If you are not going to be making lots of cuts or using it very often consider a Champion hand miter box. I have one that I use for making fine percise cuts where I want as near as perfection as I can get on smaller projects.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 6:45:12 AM EDT

Originally Posted By constitutionlvr:
<snip>Do not buy a 12" sliding compound Dewalt miter saw. <snip>.

I agree. If you need a slider, you should probably be using a table saw.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 6:22:10 PM EDT
I would recommend either Makita or Bosch. Bosch was rated number 1 by fine home building magazine and is an excellent saw. Dewalts are too bulky and overpriced for the performance they offer. I personally use a makita 10" sliding compound miter. If you are only using it to do straight chops there is no real need for a slider or a compound miter, but IMO it is worth the extra money to have a more versatile tool.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 7:01:17 PM EDT

Originally Posted By wildearp:

<snip>Do not buy a 12" sliding compound Dewalt miter saw. <snip>.

I agree. If you need a slider, you should probably be using a table saw.

What if you are cutting a compoung angle on anything over 6" or 8" (depending on if you have a 10" or 12" miter saw)? or hell, even just a 45* angle.

I have used and run into the ground a Dewalt slider on a year long job and have nothing but praise for the saw and the company. This saw was the main saw on a job where we manufactured every bit of base, trim, windows, etc right there on site from rough cut redwood logs. It ran almost 8 hours a day and took it. At the end of the job the boss took the saw in for service and it came back like brand new.

But for most a 12" slider is more than they need, we used it on a lot of beam cuts that most people won't be doing.

A good (in fact damn good) slider for most peoples needs is the Hitachi 8".
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 8:53:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/1/2007 9:24:56 PM EDT by xanadu]

Originally Posted By MudBug:
Originally Posted By wildearp:
<snip>
A good (in fact damn good) slider for most peoples needs is the Hitachi 8".

+1 for the Hitachi - it's a hell of a nice saw! Smooth, powerful and accurate.
Top Top