Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 12/2/2007 7:13:05 AM EDT
I'm planning on getting a phone with Bluetooth. I know I need a Bluetooth adapter for my PC in order to do data transfers and what not. I assume this would eliminate the need for a data cable.

What about other items though? Like a printer? Can I just buy another Bluetooth adapter for my printer and print wirelessly from the computer that has another Bluetooth adapter?
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 7:20:28 AM EDT
I'm no expert in any sort of networking, but I think you would need a printer that has bluetooth built in, as they don't really let you install driver software on them. I could be wrong. Personally, I find bluetooth's kind of a hassle for anything except phones, mice, and earpieces for phones.

For mostly wireless printing, a lot of printers let you network them. If you run wireless in your house, you could run one of the cables from your router to the printer, and wirelessly print from your PC, I believe.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 7:20:29 AM EDT
Stay away from the WHITE Kingston bluetooth usb adapter. Its a piece of crap. It will not work on windows XP with service pack 2.

They make one with a blue body that works though.

I've not seen a bluetooth adapter for printers. I imagine there are and it would work fine. Once the adapter is setup on the computer using it with other gadgets isn't too bad.

NOTE there are security risks with bluetooth. It is quite easy to eavesdrop on communication. Also, if you leave your computer, pinter, phone, etc in bluetooth discovery mode it makes things worse.

-Foxxz
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 7:24:11 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Foxxz:
Stay away from the WHITE Kingston bluetooth usb adapter. Its a piece of crap. It will not work on windows XP with service pack 2.

I have this one on my Amazon Wish List
D-Link DBT-120 Wireless Bluetooth 2.0 USB Adapter

I don't know if it's a good one or not.

I would think for a printer they might make a Bluetooth adapter that has drivers on it. I don't know though.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 3:49:56 PM EDT
night crew bump?
Top Top