Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/10/2013 6:56:07 AM EDT
I'm looking to buy some logs for my fireplace.  Current, I've got a tube coming out of the wall with slits in it.  I can turn on the gas and hold a lighter over the slits, which creates FIRE.  Cool.

So can I simply buy logs that sit on top of the tube?  Or does the tube come off and I buy logs that replace the tube?  (ie screw in to the line?)

Worth at least 1,000 words
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 7:00:29 AM EDT
[#1]
What you have is a "starter" for real wood logs.
You can buy gas logs and they range in price and realism.
If you go with a realistic set, it will come with a new tube that will screw into a bottom pan (this will replace the tube you have now).
The pan will have a tube with holes on the bottom so the gas escapes downward. This is done because you will fill the pan with sand to diffuse the gas.
Steel wool, ceramic logs and lava rock go over the sand. The steel wool gives the "ember" effect.
If done right, they can look very real.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 7:05:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the reply...

Is this something you recommend having a professional install?  I've been told a plumber should do this for me...but is it really that complicated?  Unscrew a tube....apply some teflon tape or paste...screw on a new pan/tube....sand, steel wool, logs, light?
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 7:14:59 AM EDT
[#3]
I prefer Maple myself, but that doesn't apply here. I think you can buy a grate/log kit that you might have to do a bit of plumbing to get the effect that you're looking for.

Gas fireplace stuff.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 7:21:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Perfect time of year to get a Shitting Log.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 7:23:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Oak, eucalyptus, redwood, mesquite...........

Shop for this term:  cord.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 7:27:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Far, far more expensive.  Plus I have to store it.  Plus I have to haul it into the house.  Plus I have to scoop ashes.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 7:28:12 AM EDT
[#7]
I wish my fireplace had a gas starter.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 7:28:35 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Thanks for the reply...

Is this something you recommend having a professional install?  I've been told a plumber should do this for me...but is it really that complicated?  Unscrew a tube....apply some teflon tape or paste...screw on a new pan/tube....sand, steel wool, logs, light?
View Quote
If you have to ask, then yes, you need to hire it done.  

Link Posted: 12/10/2013 7:30:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Thanks for the reply...

View Quote

When you get it plumbed, run some soapy water over the joint.  Bubbles = leak = do over.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 7:35:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks for the reply...

Seriously?  A little research goes a long way.  There's a lot of work on my own guns I've done...didn't know how to do it...asked questions, researched, understood the process...everything turns out fine.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 7:35:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Thanks for the reply...

View Quote

If you're not comfortable with it, then have it done by a plumber... at least the gas tube installation. There is sizing and bending to be done so you have to be careful.
Once the tube pan is connected and there are no leaks, the rest is more decorative than anything else.

True story...
I always had a real wood fireplace and a real Christmas tree every year. My wife insisted on gas logs and a fake tree when we built our new house.
I relented and she got what she wanted, but I told her the next thing that came through the door that was fake had better be attached to her chest.
She was not amused.  

BTW, I'm glad I got the higher end gas logs. It's wonderful to be able to just turn it off.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 12:52:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

If you're not comfortable with it, then have it done by a plumber... at least the gas tube installation. There is sizing and bending to be done so you have to be careful.
Once the tube pan is connected and there are no leaks, the rest is more decorative than anything else.

True story...
I always had a real wood fireplace and a real Christmas tree every year. My wife insisted on gas logs and a fake tree when we built our new house.
I relented and she got what she wanted, but I told her the next thing that came through the door that was fake had better be attached to her chest.
She was not amused.  

BTW, I'm glad I got the higher end gas logs. It's wonderful to be able to just turn it off.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks for the reply...

True story...
She was not amused.  

Good story...I'll have to try that on my wife

I'm going to look around at the options out there...I know some of the sets get pretty pricey.  From what I've read online, some people say their $200 set look just as good as the $800 set.  It's like looking at TVs when you're buying a new one...you fuss and fuss over the more expensive model but once you get it home and start using it, you forget what the 'more expensive' option was and how it was so much different.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 12:54:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I'm going to look around at the options out there...I know some of the sets get pretty pricey.  From what I've read online, some people say their $200 set look just as good as the $800 set.  It's like looking at TVs when you're buying a new one...you fuss and fuss over the more expensive model but once you get it home and start using it, you forget what the 'more expensive' option was and how it was so much different.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks for the reply...

True story...
She was not amused.  

Mine was in the $400 range.
I'll try to remember to take a photo of it tonight and I'll post it here tomorrow.

(If I can remember...)
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 12:59:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Far, far more expensive.  Plus I have to store it.  Plus I have to haul it into the house.  Plus I have to scoop ashes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wait until the NG bill comes due.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 4:35:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I'll try to remember to take a photo of it tonight and I'll post it here tomorrow.

(If I can remember...)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks for the reply...

True story...
She was not amused.  

(If I can remember...)

Here's what I got.

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:43:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Get a set of unvented gas logs and shut off that flue. Put some insulation or something above it to keep that expensive heat from going out.  

You have natural or propane?
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 2:07:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Get a set of unvented gas logs and shut off that flue. Put some insulation or something above it to keep that expensive heat from going out.  

You have natural or propane?
View Quote

Natural gas.  Going to a local fireplace store sometime this week...will likely end up buying a less expensive set online somewhere.  I just can't justify spending $400+ on logs when people like their $150 set just fine.  You stare at the fire...not the logs!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top