Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 8/12/2014 5:56:17 PM EDT
Went to the back to school night for my daughter tonight, she's starting 4th grade on Thursday.

I went to the office to prepay for the first month of her school lunches like I do every year. Found out that because there are so many families in the district that are living below the poverty line, that the ENTIRE school district, every student, qualifies for free lunch and breakfast. I mean hell, the lunches were only like a $1.50 before anyway.

Of course, my first question was, what OTHER program did they cut to pay for free meals for every student?
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 5:59:45 PM EDT
They cut nothing.

You can't even pay if you want to because it might make someone feel bad.

Welcome to Amerika.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 6:00:49 PM EDT
Did you pay your tax return? If so, you paid for your daughter's lunches.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 6:42:07 PM EDT
yeah that happened at the public schools here as well,I found out about it because I had some friends that were all excited by it
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 6:44:18 PM EDT
You already paid.

The food will be disgusting trash most likely.

Give her a PBJ and an apple
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 6:47:12 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By N1Rampage:
Did you pay your tax return? If so, you paid for your daughter's lunches.
View Quote

Among others
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 7:07:59 PM EDT
they cut nothing it's called nation debt
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 7:15:47 PM EDT
Originally Posted By EvanWilliams:
You already paid.

View Quote

That won't pass the federal school lunch standards. The lunch inspector will take it away and issue her a healthy, nutritious, government approved lunch...consisting of a bunch of crap she won't eat.

They're doing it for the children!
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 7:18:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/13/2014 7:19:13 AM EDT by poeman]
Same thing here - No kids, but local article in paper said that over 200,000 students in NC
will be getting free breakfast and lunch.

Cindy Bailey, the district’s Child Nutrition director, was busy Friday morning working on the online agreement between the district and state for what’s known as the Community Eligibility Provision. CEP is a key provision of the Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act of 2010.
View Quote

Wilson County NC Article
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 7:50:58 AM EDT
Originally Posted By EvanWilliams:
You already paid.

View Quote

This is no shit. Dropped my daughter off for Kindergarten this morning, and smelled lunch cooking. Fuck that!

But who can bitch, because it's free shit, right?
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 8:10:16 AM EDT
I miss grade school lunches circa 1970 –

If you behaved you got to help Mrs Stahl in the kitchen.

Mrs Stahl was an old Apastolic Christian woman, she made the best peanut butter cookies. She got big white cans of peanut butter from the USDA and bricks of butter. You got to open the can but you had to pour the oil into the big mixing machine before you opened it all the way. Then you opened the bottom of the can and pushed a solid log of peanut butter into the mixer. It ended up being about equal parts peanut butter and flour with some sugar and butter thrown in. She baked sheets of them them in 2’ x 3’ pans and cut them into like 4” squares maybe an inch thick.

Pretty much everything she made was pretty good. Tater tot caserol with potatoe chips and cheese on top . MMMMM

She believed boys needed more food than girls when she was dishing it out. If you were a skinny runt like me you got extra. Whoa to the young land who threw most of his lunch away. She was at the trash can and would give you ‘the look’
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 8:16:32 AM EDT
My kids bring lunch to school (Elementary).

I prepare it the night before.

It's nutritional and tasty. Cost is cheap, but knowing exactly what my two little girls are eating is priceless.
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 8:23:49 AM EDT
Originally Posted By tigerbrass:
I miss grade school lunches circa 1970 –

If you behaved you got to help Mrs Stahl in the kitchen.

Mrs Stahl was an old Apastolic Christian woman, she made the best peanut butter cookies. She got big white cans of peanut butter from the USDA and bricks of butter. You got to open the can but you had to pour the oil into the big mixing machine before you opened it all the way. Then you opened the bottom of the can and pushed a solid log of peanut butter into the mixer. It ended up being about equal parts peanut butter and flour with some sugar and butter thrown in. She baked sheets of them them in 2’ x 3’ pans and cut them into like 4” squares maybe an inch thick.

Pretty much everything she made was pretty good. Tater tot caserol with potatoe chips and cheese on top . MMMMM

She believed boys needed more food than girls when she was dishing it out. If you were a skinny runt like me you got extra. Whoa to the young land who threw most of his lunch away. She was at the trash can and would give you ‘the look’
View Quote

I haven't had tater tot casserol in over a decade. I could go for some now....
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 8:37:01 AM EDT
We pay on-line but my kid takes his lunch as he doesn't like the food. They upgraded his cafeteria so it looks like a college cafeteria (Magnet School) and offer hot and cold lunches as well as salads, meals are $2.25. The first non-payment gets a letter home. If the child comes to school again with no lunch money they get a cheese sandwich and send home with a nasty letter.

One cool thing is I can see everything he buys- full disclosure. Can't buy an entire box of ice cream sandwiches or 5 order of french fries for lunch like when I was in school

I skipped lunch. My dad gave me 5 bucks a week and I used it for beer Friday night, I could buy a 12 pack for 6.00 45 cents for a pack of smokes and 2.65 for a 6er of Red White and Blue.
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 8:51:05 AM EDT
Top Top