Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 1/16/2015 5:44:25 PM EDT
holy cow,it has begun.
news here
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 5:48:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Damn, they have a huge facility right outside Tomball.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 5:49:47 PM EDT
[#2]
IN BEFORE PEOPLE JUMP IN SAYING OIL WILL GO RIGHT BACK UP TO $75.00.  

(NOT)
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 5:51:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

(NOT)
View Quote

it will

maybe
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 5:54:43 PM EDT
[#4]
I just saw two of their employees leaving Popeyes, business must not be too bad...or maybe they don't know.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 5:55:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

it will

maybe
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

(NOT)

it will

maybe

oh it will get back up there just not overnight
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 5:57:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Yep, it's a Friday bad information dump.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 5:57:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Schlumberger also chopped 9,000 jobs in 2009. Ask me how I know (or don't!)
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:05:19 PM EDT
[#8]
But,but, cheap gas!
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:08:49 PM EDT
[#9]
No surprise.

Oil goes up and down.... Jobs go up and down in tandem.

Of course the morons that work the wells probably drank all the money and will now be on welfare instead of being on vacation and comfortable for the next couple years.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:12:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
But,but, cheap gas!
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:15:33 PM EDT
[#11]
What's begun?
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:21:44 PM EDT
[#12]
You know, generally I am all for free markets and I like cheap gas as much as the next guy. That being said, I would gladly keep paying $3 a gallon at the pump to see the US energy independent from the Middle East and to keep 10's of thousands of people employed in the oil field sectors. Drilling is one of the few industries for a good wage where I live other than the University.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:32:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

(NOT)
View Quote

Why not?
All we are is one Middle Eastern or European crisis away from that and more.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:35:41 PM EDT
[#14]

SHTC in my neck of the woods has been affected.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:37:59 PM EDT
[#15]

A friend who works for Shell told me they have laid off 10K people from the Canadian tar sands already.

Gasoline is $1.81 here in Pocatello just now.  Tis all ill wind that blows no one any good.

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:58:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Look it up. They made $12.1 billion in the 2nd quarter and $12.6 billion in the third quarter and now are crying like babies. The oil companies have been hosing
us for years while making billions and they will still make money even at these gas prices. The perfect example of American greed. Its all hype and spin and they
are setting up to justify the next round of price hikes or getting the government to either give them more money or bail them out. I have no sympathy.

Paal Kibsgaard the CEO makes in excess of $22 million a year. How many people who really work would that pay for.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 7:06:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Hope you guys like saving $15 when filling up, because there are people out of work because of it.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 7:11:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Hope you guys like saving $15 when filling up, because there are people out of work because of it.
View Quote

Free Market.

How does it work?

If that was sarcasm, I missed it.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 7:13:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

They knew they worked in a volatile industry and should have been stuffing money hand over fist into the bank for the lean times.

Good times never last. Nor do the bad times.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 7:15:57 PM EDT
[#20]
I'd been told for years by people who worked in the oil and gas industry, "this is the type of work you can laid off from real quick.".

When given offers to work the rigs, those words would ring in my ears.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 7:17:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Fuck yes, I like it. Every career has its risks.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 7:19:12 PM EDT
[#22]
It started before Christmas.

9K is nothing compared to the 20K that will be laid off as a result of the Baker/Halliburton merger.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 7:24:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

High gas prices put a shit load of people out of work.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 7:26:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shhh, don't ruin the pity circle jerk.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 7:28:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Ummm...; exactly how much is that 12+ billion as a percent of sales? I just looked it up, 2.38%YTD net profit..  Not really all that much is it.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 7:29:18 PM EDT
[#26]
I don't like seeing people lose their jobs, but that's the way it goes in a such a cyclical industry.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 7:30:19 PM EDT
[#27]
I just hope it ruins the fucking retards who got an oil field job and went out and immediately bought a $70,000 diesel bro-dozer and now can't make the payments. Because that's a great idea in an industry as volatile as oil and gas without first building up a large safety net of cash Then, once they default on their loan, the industry comes back and the smart people who saved their money go right back to having jobs and prospering.

While in the oil-field as an EE, I grew a fond disdain for the typical piece of oilfield trash. Lot of really smart, hard-working, and great people in the industry, but they're in the minority.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 7:32:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

I do.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 7:37:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Plenty of people lost jobs because of high gas prices too.
Where was your care for them?
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 7:45:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

it's f'ing awesome.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 7:45:21 PM EDT
[#31]
WVHick
I just hope it ruins the fucking retards
View Quote

Really?  Wow.

What about all the WV people lined up at the Dodge dealer buying trucks to park in front of their trailers the day they signed shale gas leases on their 1.3 acre lot? You hope they default and ruin your economy more than it is?

Maybe not the best financial decision but to hope it ruins them is some pretty strong feelings. It's also not good for our economy if it ruins them. Grow up.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 7:53:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well, I also like lower food prices, lower bills from my landscapers, lower bills from my pool cleaner. Lower airline tickets. Lower cruise ship tickets etc etc.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 8:01:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
WVHick

Really?  Wow.

What about all the WV people lined up at the Dodge dealer buying trucks to park in front of their trailers the day they signed shale gas leases on their 1.3 acre lot? You hope they default and ruin your economy more than it is?

Maybe not the best financial decision but to hope it ruins them is some pretty strong feelings. It's also not good for our economy if it ruins them. Grow up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
WVHick

Really?  Wow.

Not a wise decision at all.  Why were they spending money that wasn't in their hands?

Arfcom rails against folks who make shitty financial decisions regularly, why should this group be any different?
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 8:09:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Are you kidding me, I'm saving like $50 a week. Sorry they are out of work but if the oil field workers were smart with their money, they will be OK.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 8:15:50 PM EDT
[#35]
[div style='text-align: right;']
Quoted:

Not a wise decision at all.  Why were they spending money that wasn't in their hands?

Arfcom rails against folks who make shitty financial decisions regularly, why should this group be any different?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
WVHick

Really?  Wow.

Exactly. I have no sympathy toward stupid people, regardless if they live in the same state as me. Tell me to grow up all you want, it's how I feel. Instead of lining up at the Dodge dealership, they should be building a savings account and pounding their 401k and then, maybe, get out of their trailer.

Also, my economy here in Morgantown is just fine. It was one of the few cities barely affected from the housing crisis and 'depression'. I agree oil and gas adds to it, and it sucks it down, but I was solely voicing my disdain for the people I dislike. In fact, I wished it to come back in the same post.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 8:18:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I just saw two of their employees leaving Popeyes, business must not be too bad...or maybe they don't know.
View Quote

Truth....You need a second mortgage to eat there anymore.....Did they hop in a brodozer?

BTW.....My monthly gas bill has dropped by better than 50% since this time last year so yeah I'm enjoying the fuck out of the lower prices.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 8:25:46 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

Don't worry; I love it.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 8:28:19 PM EDT
[#38]
The low oil prices will stimulate other areas of the economy, however.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 8:32:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 8:34:12 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Ummm...; exactly how much is that 12+ billion as a percent of sales? I just looked it up, 2.38%YTD net profit..  Not really all that much is it.
View Quote

Got a link? Not because I don't believe you, but because others won't believe me.  ;)
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 8:38:45 PM EDT
[#41]
I don't care.

Lower gas prices mean I spend less on fuel, which means higher profits from my facility which mean I get a bigger bonus which means I spend more money on other things.

When I spend money on those other things it means another company can expand which means they will need to hire people to pick up the excess.

Funny how it all works.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 8:40:31 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Look it up. They made $12.1 billion in the 2nd quarter and $12.6 billion in the third quarter and now are crying like babies. The oil companies have been hosing
us for years while making billions and they will still make money even at these gas prices. The perfect example of American greed. Its all hype and spin and they
are setting up to justify the next round of price hikes or getting the government to either give them more money or bail them out. I have no sympathy.

Paal Kibsgaard the CEO makes in excess of $22 million a year. How many people who really work would that pay for.
View Quote

oil cos have been making billions for some time now. ok, free market.  Now I'm supposed to worry about them now that oil is not as profitable.  my concern will be right next to concern about #blacklivesmatter
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 8:42:34 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Free Market.

How does it work?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Free Market.

How does it work?

supposed conservatives need to subsidize the oil industry or else you are a commie.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:13:54 PM EDT
[#44]
While the shale oil industry is taking a big hit, the activity here in the natural gas shale area is still going strong.  I expect that a lot of those workers from the Bakken shale play will likely end up here in PA drilling for gas in the Marcellus.  If NY had opened their natural portion of the Marcellus for fracking there would be work begging for all those drill rigs and workers being idled in ND and MT.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:23:49 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

View Quote
That's living high off the hog!

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:29:38 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

How much money should they be allowed to make? How much money should any person be able to Make?  Your post sounds just like the liberal BS my useful idiot bother in law spews.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:31:44 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

Don't mess it up for the liberals. They like bitching about people and companies making money.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:37:34 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
WVHick

Really?  Wow.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
WVHick

Really?  Wow.

Stupid burns.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:37:51 PM EDT
[#49]
Schlumberger net profit.

http://ycharts.com/companies/SLB/profit_margin

Liberal minds aren't good at business math
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:38:57 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

And right there is the correct answer.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top