Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/28/2004 2:35:00 PM EST
I'm a 16 yr. old senior in HS and I won't be entering the military until I've completed college, however, I'm scheduled to take the ASVAB saturday to see what MOSs I can qualify for. I'm probably going to major in mechanical engineering in college and then go ROTC or some variant of that. Anyways, I understand that the Recruiter is somewhat trying to look out for my best interests, but I'm also cognizant that he is a salesman just like any other and he is marketing a product. Now, I don't want to sound cynical, so I'm asking for feedback from any recruiters on ARFCOM. Also, will the Army not let you fly helos or aircraft if you wear glasses? I'm not exactly sure my prescription but I could shoot without my glasses on. I would like to go aviation or work on developing weapons systems for the army, but who knows.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 2:39:31 PM EST
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 2:40:37 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/28/2004 2:42:08 PM EST by EternallyIndebted]

Originally Posted By MillerSHO:
How come you don't wait until your nearing your time?

I bet you'll learn a few things in-between that time that will help you get a higher score on the ASVAB, mainly in the math area.

Yea.. that's what I was thinking too, but he scheduled me so I'll do it. Besides, if I want to go ROTC.. I need to be looking for colleges that offer it.

I also saw some stuff on www.goarmy.com about Warrant officer training that seems interesting.

I read somewhere that the logistics of the military is crazy, like for every one fighting soldier there are 12 or so soldiers in MOSs to support him. I don't mean to demean any soldier who is in a certain MOS, but I don't want my army experience to turn into scrubbing floors for the next four years
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 2:46:01 PM EST
You've got what, 5 years before you graduate college?

Do good in school, and you might have the opportunity to go the officer route.

Either way, sounds like your recruiter is trying to get you to join before college.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 2:46:20 PM EST
Army guys, maybe you could answer my question. If you wish to be a warrant officer in the army, don't you basically have to be a career guy? Most of the Navy WO's are prior chiefs with 15+ years in
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 2:46:48 PM EST
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 2:47:47 PM EST
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 2:48:41 PM EST
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 2:50:34 PM EST
Yea... this is the vibe I'm getting... I already told him that I don't want to join until after or well into college. I'm just honoring his request.. besides, I'm 16 and doesn't he need my parent's signature at 17?

I've just taken my ACTs and haven't got my scores back, but on the retired ACTs that we take in school I averaged a 31, so I'm guessing I could do R&D work.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 3:01:33 PM EST
What you get out of your military career (no matter how long or short it is) is what you put into it.

Scrubbing shitters is part of the job. How long you do it depends on you.

Originally Posted By EternallyIndebted:
I don't want my army experience to turn into scrubbing floors for the next four years

Link Posted: 10/28/2004 3:02:59 PM EST
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 3:03:11 PM EST
31 out of 100.....that sucks!!!!! j/k

I'd slow it down there...he may be looking to get you into the system sooner than you think.

Tell him you'd prefer to delay taking the test until after your SATs - if he really has your best interest at heart he will back off.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 3:07:34 PM EST
The asvab will determine what career field you are qualified to go into. Kinda of critical if your interested in electronics or any of the nuke career paths. Best advice is to study your ass off and become a stellar performer in high school and college with a science degree of some type which will put you in the front door as an officer.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 3:51:09 PM EST
Don't worry about the ASVAB. My sister was a less than stellar student (a cheerleader nonetheless), and her scores were in the 90's.

When my brother was going in back in '94, the best way to scare away a recruiter was to tell him you wanted to go in as an officer. I'm not sure, but it appears they get more money for bringing in grunts than they do technical types. When I spoke to recruiters in the late 80's, they would consistently steer me away from computer and technology jobs. If you want to scare away an Air Force recruiter, tell him you're interested in the Marines.

Don't knock logistics jobs. Other than leadership training, support jobs have more bearing in the real world than combat related MOS'. When's the last time you seen a civillian job posting for a cannon cocker or infantryman? Compare that to an electrician, a mechanic or an HVAC technician.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 3:53:24 PM EST
Everyone in 10th grade each year at my high school had to take the ASVAB, was anyone elses HS this way?
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 4:01:57 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/28/2004 4:02:32 PM EST by paenutz]
If you are going to take it, go to your public library.
They will have the pre-tests and referance books.

As a mater of fact when I helped my brother study for his ASVAB
I got a Disc with the Software to take the practice teset on your PC.
It really is not that difficult. good luck.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 4:03:35 PM EST
we took it in 11th grade at my school, and anyone with half a brain can ace it
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 4:26:36 PM EST
My little brother's braindead buddy scored a 17! I told him to go to the hospital and get an MRI. That kid wanted to be a SEAL sooooo bad!
Top Top