Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/29/2009 5:27:36 PM EDT
I was in my basement working on a cabinet for my son, he collects die-cast cars.  I was working on the table saw, very loud and could not here a damn thing.  Now for some background, my wife was out riding horses and my son was coming in and out of the house playing with his friend, a typical sunday at my house with me stuck in the basement working.  My wife did not notify me that a family friend would be coming over to talk about a dog he was planning on adopting.  No door bell ring, no door knock, nothing, and he comes charging into the basement screaming my name.

When he came down I was focused on the cut I was making and could not here a thing.  He scares the shit out of me, the board I was cutting rips off the saw and I immediately put a red dot from my Kimber Crimson Pro Carry on his chest.  I guess I scared the shit out of him too!  We immediately had a serious conversation about how you don't just walk into the house without identifying yourself.

My son knows that if dad is working you go and stand in front of him, but out of the way so I notice him.  Not come barging down the stairs screaming and yelling.

Unbelievable.  Fortunately, I didn't get hurt by the saw.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 5:29:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Good reflexes.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 5:31:07 PM EDT
[#2]
You dont feel safe in your house?
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 5:31:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Good thing it didn't happen twice, you'd be dead!

Link Posted: 3/29/2009 5:34:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Bad people find their way in sometimes.

ETA, DDIGGLER, that's funny...
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 5:35:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Nothing bad ever happens in people's houses.  Its a rule.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 5:36:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I feel perfectly safe in my house and my house is secure.  The issue is with someone not knocking, etc. when they arrive.  Not to mention being distracting when someone is working with a saw and doesn't know your there.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 5:49:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I feel perfectly safe in my house and my house is secure.  The issue is with someone not knocking, etc. when they arrive.  Not to mention being distracting when someone is working with a saw and doesn't know your there.

If his friend was able to enter his house and sneak up on him as described, he would be a fool to feel safe in his house.
Don't you agree?
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 5:51:38 PM EDT
[#8]
very loud and could not here a damn thing

Umm ...Maybe just maybe he did knock?....Maybe?
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 5:52:28 PM EDT
[#9]
So in the time that it took you to realize that someone was in your house and a threat, you couldnt decide if they were a real  threat or not?

Sorry but if my gun is coming out of the holster its being used.

If you feel the need to draw on people coming into your basement, you might want to move your table saw so your backs not towards the steps, and have more situation awareness.

Identify the target then draw...makes sense to me anyway.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 5:54:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

you must not live in a high crime area do you realize that in some places people will rob your house while you sleep on the couch WTF? hello do you realize the times its only gonna get worse wake up
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 5:56:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
So in the time that it took you to realize that someone was in your house and a threat, you couldnt decide if they were a real  threat or not?

If you feel the need to draw on people coming into your basement, you might want to move your table saw so your backs not towards the steps, and have more situation awareness.

I vote for this one
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 5:57:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

you must not live in a high crime area do you realize that in some places people will rob your house while you sleep on the couch WTF? hello do you realize the times its only gonna get worse wake up

I live inside the city of Indianapolis.

sunday afternoon with the kids and there friends running around is not really the time to be drawing down on people is it?

Link Posted: 3/29/2009 5:59:20 PM EDT
[#13]
if there is a perceived threat why not ?
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 6:00:41 PM EDT
[#14]
It is a little known fact that Killers/Rapists/Robbers/Ninjas/Pirates ALL carefully sneak up behind you and then SCREAM your name at the top of their lungs and wait to have your attention before attacking you.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 6:02:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Startled or not, I just dont get drawing down and anyone that is a friend.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 6:03:04 PM EDT
[#16]
He pulled his sidearm on someone that came into his home and realized their wasn't a threat and nobody was harmed why is everybody breaking balls?
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 6:03:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I feel perfectly safe because I always have a gun nearby.  
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 6:05:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I feel perfectly safe because I always have a gun nearby.  

me too, but I dont jump everytime a book falls either.

Link Posted: 3/29/2009 6:07:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I vote for this one

So, your upstairs, you think you hear the door downstairs open.  You draw your gun and go downstairs only to find everything is secure....now you put one through the drywall just because you took it out of the holster???

There are countless times I have drawn my weapon, even pointed it at people as a precautionary measure, or as a time saving device while I determined if they were going to become a lethal threat or not.  Luckily I have not had to drop the striker yet, I hope it stays that way.  

Link Posted: 3/29/2009 6:08:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
He pulled his sidearm on someone that came into his home and realized their wasn't a threat and nobody was harmed why is everybody breaking balls?

This is arfcom and it's a drawdown story.

Link Posted: 3/29/2009 6:09:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Some of you guys' stories. I swear....you've gotta have man-ginas.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 6:13:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Sometimes, I just like to be a dick.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 6:14:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I vote for this one

So, your upstairs, you think you hear the door downstairs open.  You draw your gun and go downstairs only to find everything is secure....now you put one through the drywall just because you took it out of the holster???

There are countless times I have drawn my weapon, even pointed it at people as a precautionary measure, or as a time saving device while I determined if they were going to become a lethal threat or not.  Luckily I have not had to drop the striker yet, I hope it stays that way.  

Are you a cop or in a war zone?
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 6:15:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I vote for this one

precautionary at what? Why would your point your weapon at someone? Either it is time to use deadly force or it isnt.

Countless times? 14 years of conceal carry and I never had to pont a gun at anyone. Guess  Im just lucky.

Link Posted: 3/29/2009 6:16:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Sometimes, I just like to be a dick.

See, Buzz  has great situation awareness.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 6:18:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I vote for this one

Are you a cop or in a war zone?

Cop.  But even so, there are any number of times where it would be appropriate for a "civilian" (yes, I know cops are civilians too, non military but sworn) to draw as a precautionary measure and not fire.  

Link Posted: 3/29/2009 6:22:05 PM EDT
[#27]
id rather draw and be a false alarm then not and get whacked cause i was complacent and i probly just fucked that spelling
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 6:22:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Im not pulling over vehicls full of mexicans, thugs or catholic church goers so you have a reason to have your gun unholsted.

For crying out loud, you should be smart enough to know the difference.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 6:26:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Im not pulling over vehicls full of mexicans, thugs or catholic church goers so you have a reason to have your gun unholsted.

bet if you did we would have less on the streets
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 6:27:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

you said, "Sorry but if my gun is coming out of the holster its being used."

That is just silly and dangerous.

Like I said above, there are any number or types of incidents that a "civilian" with a CCW would be wise to draw their weapon as a precautionary measure.  Many of them have been described and posted here (on Arf).  

Link Posted: 3/29/2009 6:31:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Yeah, draw your gun on somebody hollering your name in your house. What kind of robber would be yelling the home owner's name? lol
Oh wait, I can hear it now...

"Joooooooohn, Joooooooooooohn, Jooooooooooooooohn, you here?" "There you are John! I was just wondering if you were home. If you weren't, I was going to burglarize your home."
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 6:36:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

you said, "Sorry but if my gun is coming out of the holster its being used."

That is just silly and dangerous.

Like I said above, there are any number or types of incidents that a "civilian" with a CCW would be wise to draw their weapon as a precautionary measure.  Many of them have been described and posted here (on Arf).  

THIS.

It's why a drawstroke usually incorporates a "ready' or "guard' position that comes before "point'.

The time spent between threat perception and identification is well spent skinning that smokewagon.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 6:47:47 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

This has to be one of the most ridiculous statements I hear from gun owners.  Yet, I hear it all the time.  If someone threatens you with a gun, and before you can bring yours on target they turn and run, what will you do, shoot them in the back?  Maybe just go shoot a stranger so you can keep to your absurd rule?  How about shooting yourself, after all, it HAS to be used once it's drawn.   WTF do you think you are, a barbarian warrior who must blood his weapon before it's sheathed?

Link Posted: 3/29/2009 6:54:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I was in my basement working on a cabinet for my son, he collects die-cast cars.  I was working on the table saw, very loud and could not here a damn thing.  Now for some background, my wife was out riding horses and my son was coming in and out of the house playing with his friend, a typical sunday at my house with me stuck in the basement working.  My wife did not notify me that a family friend would be coming over to talk about a dog he was planning on adopting.  No door bell ring, no door knock, nothing, and he comes charging into the basement screaming my name.

When he came down I was focused on the cut I was making and could not here a thing.  He scares the shit out of me, the board I was cutting rips off the saw and I immediately put a red dot from my Kimber Crimson Pro Carry on his chest.  I guess I scared the shit out of him too!  We immediately had a serious conversation about how you don't just walk into the house without identifying yourself.

My son knows that if dad is working you go and stand in front of him, but out of the way so I notice him.  Not come barging down the stairs screaming and yelling.

Unbelievable.  Fortunately, I didn't get hurt by the saw.

Fail.

I agree with everything else, but "being stuck in a basement" doing woodworking projects seems disgusting to you?
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 6:54:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Quoted:

This has to be one of the most ridiculous statements I hear from gun owners.  Yet, I hear it all the time.  If someone threatens you with a gun, and before you can bring yours on target they turn and run, what will you do, shoot them in the back?  Maybe just go shoot a stranger so you can keep to your absurd rule?  How about shooting yourself, after all, it HAS to be used once it's drawn.   WTF do you think you are, a barbarian warrior who must blood his weapon before it's sheathed?

if they turn and run before you get your gun out, the situation is over. Other than call the police there's is nothing left to do.

If your at the point that they have a gun on you and you don't have yours out then you failed in the situation awareness category.

Link Posted: 3/29/2009 6:56:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Good reflexes.

+1
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 8:12:42 PM EDT
[#37]
Well done.
I was standing in a gun store (must have been 20 years ago), talking to the owner (a friend of mine) when a guy with a huge Bowie knife came in and said "Gimme the money!"  It turned out to be a guy who owned another store in the strip mall, who thought the ridiculously huge knife he found at a garage sale was hilarious, and was just kidding with his friend the gun store owner.  When the gun store owner explained that he knew the man with the knife, and that it was a joke, I lowered the sight picture off knife-boy's ear, and put my Colt Commander back into the holster.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top