Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/21/2017 1:39:34 PM EDT
Picked up a 6 pack at the local Shell station.  Turns out now, they no longer want your photo ID and date of birth.....they want to scan the back of your D.L.

This does it.  I realize you may be protecting yourself from litigation via camera of me showing my ID to the clerk,  but FUCK YOU.....you have taken it to an unnecessary level of me buying a simple beverage.

My response is to never buy anything at that store again........including gas. food, sodas , etc

A simple  date of birth ID check should be sufficient.

If you, as a company or business can't get ahold of your shit....then don't  sell alcoholic beverages to adults.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 1:41:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Scanning IDs is fairly common practice.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 1:43:07 PM EDT
[#2]
The big brother is watching.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 1:45:24 PM EDT
[#3]
They do this to verify you are not carrying a fake ID.

Get over it old man.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 1:47:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Wanna know how I know you've never been fined/fired for serving a minor?
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 1:48:31 PM EDT
[#5]
They scan it and send it to your Dr for your medical records.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 1:53:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They scan it and send it to your Dr for your medical records.
View Quote
Would not even surprise me.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 1:58:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Just saw a sign yesterday while going into the supermarket,  said they now have to scan an id for every cigarette sale. 
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 1:59:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Get over it old man.
View Quote
How the fuck does an easy duplicated pdf417 verify an ID!?

Yes the data in the barcode should match the text on the front, but that's about all you can check.

This is more about logging, they have your full ID they can now store in the system and track your purchases and sell to advertising companies. The only way to stop is to get enough people to refuse to participate so they will bend their policy as to not lose business or enact legislation prohibiting logging. I really don't see any other way.

I've never had an ID scanned for booze purchase....
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 2:00:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Maybe they are going to send you beer coupons.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 2:00:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
Where?
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 2:03:24 PM EDT
[#11]
I have never had my ID scanned by anyone in a retail environment . . . and never will.

And no, I don't give 'em my phone number when they ask for it either.

Will not comply.

Link Posted: 4/21/2017 2:04:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Surely someone with GoVol as a name will be able to find alky that doesn't have such restrictions.  No one cards me anymore but I wouldn't be a fan of this scanning bullshit.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 2:11:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Get over it old man.
View Quote
No, it's a corporation collecting data on customers. Data has value and can be sold.

It's also about training the GDP to submit and obey without questioning.

I am a FREEBORN MAN. At some point in my growth it should VERY CLEAR that I am well above the legal age to buy whatever.

I have been carded in the supermarket just to purchase a lighter. REALLY?? I'm well over 50 yoa.

I cherish my birthright of LIBERTY! And true freemen do not need no stinking goobermint ID.

Get over it yourself!                             *GDP; generally dumb public.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 2:13:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Just saw a sign yesterday while going into the supermarket,  said they now have to scan an id for every cigarette sale. 
View Quote
And that gets sent to your doctor and your health insurance company.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 2:13:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Heh, that's nothing!

In Utah they scan your ID as soon as you enter a bar. It goes in a database which the Mormon leadership crosscheck against their rosters. To ensure the faithful aren't partaking.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 2:14:07 PM EDT
[#16]
I bought beer twice this week

Once at a gas station

The other at a liquor store.

They didn't even card me at all. The liquor store girl was just like you're over 21 right? I must be getting old as fuck
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 2:15:38 PM EDT
[#17]
but but but but but.... Needing to have an ID is racist!!!!
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 2:16:54 PM EDT
[#18]
It is weird, some of the grocers and 7-11 do it in VA and WV.

Giant Food and Harris Teeter are the only ones in VA I can think of that does not do it.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 2:17:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
 On what planet??
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 2:19:13 PM EDT
[#20]
It provides a means of electronic feedback to prove the clerk checked ID.  It may even become a legal requirement at some point.

I give my phone number at Total Wine when I restock my liquor cabinet.  Those cunts then send me wine coupons.  I have never bought wine there.  Hmmmm......maybe I should start a rant thread..........
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 2:20:27 PM EDT
[#21]
The Jack Daniels distillery gift shop does the same in Lynchburg.

I was ready to walk out, but I wanted that bottle to give to a friend.  I won't be going back.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 2:22:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Surely someone with GoVol as a name will be able to find alky that doesn't have such restrictions.  No one cards me anymore but I wouldn't be a fan of this scanning bullshit.
View Quote
It was a quick 6 pack purchase.....the good stuff is up in the hills
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 2:24:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Hy Vee's in Iowa have been doing it for at least 3 years maybe longer.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 2:26:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
No, it's a corporation collecting data on customers. Data has value and can be sold.

I am a FREEBORN MAN. At some point in my growth it should VERY CLEAR that I am well above the legal age to buy whatever.

I have been carded in the supermarket just to purchase a lighter. REALLY?? I'm well over 50 yoa.

I cherish my birthright of LIBERTY! And true freemen do not need no stinking goobermint ID.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Get over it old man.

Does having your ID scanned create joinder?
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 2:29:13 PM EDT
[#25]
My license has been scanned twice but most clerks just ask for a DOB. Any establishment that makes a habit of it will lose me as a customer.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 2:29:33 PM EDT
[#26]
I haven't been checked for ID for beer since I was 19 or 20.  Not that it mattered because 18 year olds could buy beer anyway.  It really tended to keep me from drinking hard liquor until later.  I think it's still a good idea.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 2:30:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
.................  It may even become a legal requirement at some point.
View Quote
Exactly!!  The demand for a gooermint ID is the ability to deny you a state ID simply because....well, fill in the blank. You might be a firearms owner, a male without the approved attitude, the wrong tribe or race or color or size or whatever. The issue of an ID shifts to a faceless unaccountable goobermint worker who just doesn't like you. Sorry, plebe, no ID for you today. I, the know it all bureaucrat, says so.

Beware, my friends, stay alert.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 2:51:01 PM EDT
[#28]
At doc's office " do you use tobacco?"

Citizen "no"

Doc " well our records show you bought a can of Skoal, a pack of smokes and beer at the gas station"

Citizen ' yeah I bought those for my dad"

Doc " sorry we cant treat you cuz the goobermint death panels say so , you shouldn't have bought tobacco.  ".

All from a card scan man.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 2:59:12 PM EDT
[#29]
They're just checking to make sure you got the mark of the beast.   Don't worry about it.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 3:10:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
At doc's office " do you use tobacco?"

Citizen "no"

Doc " well our records show you bought a can of Skoal, a pack of smokes and beer at the gas station"

Citizen ' yeah I bought those for my dad"

Doc " sorry we cant treat you cuz the goobermint death panels say so , you shouldn't have bought tobacco.  ".

All from a card scan man.
View Quote
Give it a couple years, this does not seem that far from reality.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 3:21:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I have never had my ID scanned by anyone in a retail environment . . . and never will.

And no, I don't give 'em my phone number when they ask for it either.

Will not comply.

View Quote
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 8:27:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Give it a couple years, this does not seem that far from reality.
View Quote
I say it in jest, but in the.back of my head it's probably NOT far from truth in the near future.

It will  start with insurance companies though... We won't cover you because your ID scan shows you bought tobacco.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 8:33:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Only place I've had it done is Target.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 8:35:44 PM EDT
[#34]
I quit going to a LGS when they wanted me to fill out a 1 line form...name, DOB, ammo type and quantity.

Fuck you.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 8:37:21 PM EDT
[#35]
I wouldn't buy beer there either, OP.  Good move.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 8:39:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Where?
View Quote
Target scans IDs. I don't think Walmart does.  Yet.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top