Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/5/2004 9:32:51 PM EDT
Long story short...
Just bought a house and decided to purchase all appliances on one of those 2 years same as cash/zero financing promos at Best Buy.  No biggie I got a sweet deal on the goods and heck I got to keep my $$ where I like it...in MY pocket!!!
I get a CC in the mail from the same bank I signed up with at Best Buy...The SAME EXACT dollar amount of my purchase is the limit on the CC and there's even a big promo for a free Best Buy gift card if you buy something else with the card blah blah blah...
Heres the catch...This IS NOT the Best Buy CC...
They (cheesy sales reps) sign you up for an additional CC without your knowledge as well as your "normal" Best Buy card.  The APR is an obscene amount 17.9% I believe.  This is just plain wrong...Seems like some kinda fraud to me...I am going to the store tomorrow to see my actual written application.  I know I never signed up for two cards I have not taken delivery of the items I purchased yet.  I may just return them all to make a point.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 9:34:28 PM EDT
[#1]
That's big business.

Everybody is in bed with everybody.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 9:34:35 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

I am going to the store tomorrow to see my actual written application.

You didn't read it before?

And if you had the cash.........

Sgatr15
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 9:35:29 PM EDT
[#3]
I dont shop at Besybuy anymore.  Too many problems.

Have somewhere else match thier price if its cheaper.

Most the people there are assholes/dumbasses anyway.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 9:36:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Are you sure it's a different card than the Best Buy card?  If not... sheesh.  But what can you do.  Keep your eye out mate.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 9:38:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Just cancel / not use / cut up / the second card.  Problem solved.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 9:43:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Stuff 17.99% it in their pooper ans post pix!~ This corporate inticement of both corporate level and the rank and file fucking the comsumer is growing everywhere.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 9:44:24 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Just cancel / not use / cut up / the second card.  Problem solved.

Did that.... it just seems scammy to me. Thought I would give everyone a heads up!!!
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 9:45:24 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Stuff 17.99% it in their pooper ans post pix!~ This corporate inticement of both corporate level and the rank and file fucking the comsumer is growing everywhere.

Sounds like they are trying to stuff it in yours without lube.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 9:58:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Reminds me of when I bought a computer from Best Buy. They said I was supposed to get 6 months of MSN for free. After 6 months, my credit card was charged $24.99 a month.

Best Buy sucks dick!!
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 10:00:18 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Reminds me of when I bought a computer from Best Buy. They said I was supposed to get 6 months of MSN for free. After 6 months, my credit card was charged $24.99 a month.

Best Buy sucks dick!!

What do you mean here, you needed to cancel service.

Thats what I did with my Dell, another POS
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 10:07:37 PM EDT
[#11]
The sales guy probably did not sign you up for the additional card, the lender, already seeing your credit probably issued another card/account. In hopes that you will use it. Its kinda like when you buy a house and the mortgage is carried by Household lending, household then approves you for a car loan and credit cards all off of the one credit check.

I know that when I bought a washing machine at Sears, they approved me and the ex-wife for two differents acounts off of one transaction.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 10:13:20 PM EDT
[#12]
After my last purchase from Best Buy I have vowed never to walk into that store again and told the regional manager the same.

I bought a computer from them.  Six months later I'm looking at my CC bill and there's a charge for MSN on there.  I call the card company and dispute the charge.  I don't have MSN service and as far as I knew I never had MSN.  Turns out that the computer came with six months of free MSN service and Best Buy used my CC# to enroll me.  I called Best Buy and was told this was automatic unless the customer decides to opt out.  I knew the computer came with the six months free MSN, but I was never interested in signing up or using the offer.  It took a while to get it straightened out then I got on the phone and blasted every manager of Best Buy that they would connect me with.

FOAD Best Buy!
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 10:18:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Best Buy is as crooked as they come.  Some state is sueing them for repackaging returned items (that you pay a 15% restocking fee) and selling them as new.  Many of the items they know are broken or damaged but still charge the full price and sell as new.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 10:21:03 PM EDT
[#14]
I would not buy anything at Best Buy also. My 18 year old son bought an optical mouse from them. The mouse was defective and they didn't have another, so they offered him a full refund. Instead of a cash refund, the cashier talked my son into a gift certificate for the amount of the refund. Needless to say, I had my son go back and get a CASH refund. And I had a huge argument with some little cute Latina that was the manager. F that place.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 10:22:06 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Best Buy is as crooked as they come.  Some state is sueing them for repackaging returned items (that you pay a 15% restocking fee) and selling them as new.  Many of the items they know are broken or damaged but still charge the full price and sell as new.

I had that happen to me.

Thier "extended warrenty" is bullshit.

they also dont always stock what they advertise, I have been there on release dates or first day of sale and they will not have any on the shelf when I was one of the first people in the door.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 11:03:19 PM EDT
[#16]
That happened to one of my friends... he applied for a Best Buy credit card, but his credit wasn't "supreme" enough, so what happened is Best Buy apparently gives you a credit card via some other 3rd party lender, so BB still gets the money for the items you're buying.

Apparently something in the fine print I think that said Best Buy reserves the right to refer your credit request to a 3rd party place if you don't meet their minimum requirements.

BB Sucks!
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 11:03:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Bought a DirecTV/Tivo box from them using the website and then went to pick it up (figured a better deal than having to deal with all the salespeople trying to jack me up with extended warranties and extras - HATE that shit!).

Anyway, order on-line at night.  Next morning get an email confirming the purchase, print it and head over that afternoon.  Spent 15 minutes standing at the counter where you are supposed to pick up, being actively ignored by everyone that passed by (even after making eye contact with them).

Walked out and came back later that evening.  This time I managed to get someone's attention but then was shuffled from the "pick up" counter to "returns" to complete the transaction .

The girl that helped me was nice, but (1) didn't know how to complete the transaction (or where to even go to find my Tivo in the store) and (2) was trying to deal with 3 customers at once .

I picked up my Tivo (which, thank God, worked perfectly out of the box) and vowed NEVER to set foot in another BestBuy or spend one single cent there as long as I live.  I just used them because it was a cheap way to replace my dead Tivo in a hury, but never again.  I'll wait a few days and get what I need from a REPUTABLE company.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 11:27:16 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

.........NO Taxman, my younger friend, can I call you my friend? If I cant afford to pay for it that month or pay cash I dont buy it. I NEVER pay CC interest! Thats my mantra after a half century of watching this country head the way of the greek and roman empires. It may take longer but we'll get there.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 11:31:59 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

.........NO Taxman, my younger friend, can I call you my friend? If I cant afford to pay for it that month or pay cash I dont buy it. I NEVER pay CC interest! Thats my mantra after a half century of watching this country head the way of the greek and roman empires. It may take longer but we'll get there.

Well what I do is charge it.  I normally run it a card Im getting a rebate on like 1% Cabelas credit or cash back.

That way that $1000 dollar item earms me $10 in free stuff, plus I earn another 5 cent or so in interest on that money by the time the bill comes in.  So I got a few extra dollars out of it, then I pay off the bill in full.

I got very good credit for being 22, I get told that everytime its pulled.

I also order things for people alot who dont have cards to make me a few extra dollars.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 6:39:39 AM EDT
[#20]
I don't call it WORST Buy for nothing.  
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 7:24:06 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Actually Fry's Electonics does almost the samething, but they put on a label stating that is a return and has been been checked by the techs that it is in working order. I don't know what is meant by "check by tech" etc, but at least they do advised you that it is a returned item. My fear is that the "tech" forget to see somehting missing, and it's another trip back to the store. I want get it right the first time.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 7:27:19 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I dont shop at Besybuy anymore.  Too many problems.

Have somewhere else match thier price if its cheaper.

Most the people there are assholes/dumbasses anyway.

Nothings free, BBs price covers for the "loan" you're receiving.  There are places selling the product lower (I hope), or look on-line.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top