Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 10/3/2004 6:35:55 PM EDT
A friend of mine and I were discussing such a scenario.  Say you get caught well over double the speed limit on an interstate.  In a blur you see the officer light up as you fly on by...you slow down and pull over.

When the officer walks up and asks for insurance, your license, and just what the hell you were doing...what do you say.

I imagine such questions as..."are you aware how fast you were going."  Do you even answer?  Anything you say can be incriminating...so it might just be better to keep your mouth shut and make it easier for your lawyer.

On the other hand...the few times I have been pulled over I was as compliant with the officer as can be and it worked out great...either warnings or the officer reducing it to a nominal 5mph over and nothing on my record.

However, on these occasions...I wasn't going that fast.  75-90mph.  Let's say the skies and roads are clear and I decide to run it up to 150+...and get caught.  Officer walks up.  Do I admit my guilt on the spot and hope for his leniency...or keep my mouth shut...irritate him...and hope my eventual lawyer can work everything out for the best for me.

My thought is to keep your mouth shut.  Granted...my compliance in the past has worked out great...but I wasn't going that fast.  Mid 100's plus is a whole new ballgame.

Your thoughts?
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 6:39:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Step on it..
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 6:39:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 6:40:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Officer: "Do you know how fast you were going?"

Driver: "Why, no sir... I was just on my phone, listening to music, in an argument, high, stoned, whatever"

This situation is grounds for "unsafe (or reckless) operation of a motor vehicle"

In court - "By the defendant's own admission, he had no idea how fast he was going".
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 6:40:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Tell him you'd better plead the 5th and Get a Lawyer.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 6:41:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Stop speeding?
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 6:41:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Stuff it in the cop's pooper and post pics on ARFCOM?
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 6:42:48 PM EDT
[#7]
in ohio 20 over the speed limit is an automatic lose of you drivers license
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 6:43:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Depending on how fast your car is you may just want to keep on going. Just remember " You can't out run a motorola".
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 6:44:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Depending on who you get pulled over by...

Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/3/2004 6:44:40 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
In court - "By the defendant's own admission, he had no idea how fast he was going".

"my speedometer's just broke today, and I haven't had time to fix it yet"
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 6:44:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Just tell him you are blowing the carbon out of your wifes car...
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 6:45:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Although I have done that exact thing quite a few times (150+ mph), I was aware that if I got caught I would probably be going to jail.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 6:46:04 PM EDT
[#13]
only double the speed limit?  maybe on I-10 in the 75 zones.

if you cant outrun them methinks you need a faster car or a big turbo
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 6:46:44 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

For real? If so I got off easy once...

Curious too about the original Q, so tagged.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 6:47:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Well if you were in Pa. I'd say enter the plea in ten days like the citation says or a warrant will be issued and you will meet a fellow Ar-15'er in less than cordial circumstances so you and the Magistrate can "Talk about it!".
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 6:47:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Cooperate, but dont tell him anything. Tell him to just write the ticket. The more you open your mouth, the more trouble you'll have later.

Link Posted: 10/3/2004 6:48:18 PM EDT
[#17]
If you are doing double the posted speed limit and blow by a stopped officer, you keep on going and take the first side road!  

If you are lucky he was trying to play the instant on game but since you came by so quick he might not have had the chance to get the radar on.  I "accidentally" did this last week on my way to work.  I was well into the triple digits and slowing down as I went around a slight bend in the road.  As the apex of the curve came into view there was a state trooper angled up into my lane hiding in a cut out of the mountain.  My speed was such that to even try to slow down before passing him would have required locking up the brakes.  In fact I would say that by the time my brain recognized the cop and my foot moved to the brake, I was already passed him.  My radar detector didn't go off but I'm sure he could visually tell that I was going quite a bit over the speed limit.  I saw his backup lights flash and he threw it into gear but I kept on going and never saw him behind me.  Perhaps he got stuck waiting for an opening amoung all the other speeding traffic so he could get out.  But the point is until you see the lights directly behind you in your review mirror....RUN!  

If he does manage to catch up to you, I'm guessing the best line would be "I'm sorry officer, I'm a dumbass."
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 6:49:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Scream hysterically about how your wife just went into labor and you're taking her the hospital.  Then scream hysterically wondering why she's not in the car.  Then completely freak out while telling him your wife's in labor and you left her at the house.

Either that or suck it up, be a man and take your lumps.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 6:50:08 PM EDT
[#19]
I regularly go 120 on the freeway in the Mini once in a while 160 in the Mustang and there was that one time I did 138 in the Grand National, I say 138 because I got pulled over, the cop asked how fast I thought I was going and I said, I don't know, my speedometer only goes to 85.

He let me go, after asking questions about the car. Coolest cop ever.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 6:50:39 PM EDT
[#20]
GET A LAWYER!!!
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 6:50:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 6:53:10 PM EDT
[#22]
I seem to remember your Maxima days...so at least it was at one time applicable...

Quoted:
My truck is electronically limited to 100mph, this situation is N/A

(I would pull out my shield and hope for the best)

Link Posted: 10/3/2004 6:57:08 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
...When the officer walks up and asks for insurance, your license, and just what the hell you were doing...what do you say.

LOL! What are ya, 16?
most places +20mph over the posted limit is technically reckless driving and grounds for arrest, vehicle impoundment, and a massive fine. And you're talking about DOUBLE the limit? LOL.
You'll SAY nothing. You'll be obeying the nice officer's commands to drop your keys on the ground, keep your hands in sight at all times, lie flat on the ground with your hands extended...
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 6:58:00 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

If that is true, it must be up to the discretion of the officer. A friend of mine got nailed for 35 over on his bike, and the cop told him(correctly) that it should have been a lot more but he knew he was braking and couldn't clock him soon enough (should have been at least 50 over).
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 6:58:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 6:59:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Perhaps the better question is...what would YOU do if you got clipped for 140 in a 65 AND were not a officer?  HMMMMMMMmMmmmmmmmmm?    

Quoted:
My truck is electronically limited to 100mph, this situation is N/A

(I would pull out my shield and hope for the best)

Link Posted: 10/3/2004 6:59:53 PM EDT
[#27]
"I was safely going a speed that is acceptable under the current weather conditions."
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 7:12:43 PM EDT
[#28]
I have been caught at over 100mph.

I had no badge to get me out of the ticket.

I had no cash to hand to the traffic cop to "look the other way".

I was driving a car that could not outrun a CV PI.

Man, my ass is still sore.  At least the ticket has never shown up on my abstract.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 7:19:09 PM EDT
[#29]
curl up into a ball and start licking your palms. Who knows it might work. I am one of the lucky few that hasn't got caught speeding. If I would have I would have gotten a ticket for going 135mph over the limit. What can I say testing a racecar on the highway is not the smartest thing to do but it was fun! Seriously, I would probably fess up and hope the officer gives me a little break. Thanks Arvin
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 7:42:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 7:47:41 PM EDT
[#31]
I cant go that fast, so I really dont know...

If I was... I dont really see how I could get out it...

Link Posted: 10/3/2004 8:02:29 PM EDT
[#32]
"why no officer, i don't know how fast i was going.... My speedo only reads 120, can i go now?"

Link Posted: 10/3/2004 8:03:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Get a lawyer because you are going to JAIL.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 8:07:14 PM EDT
[#34]
I got tagged for 106 in a 70.

When asked if I knew how fast I was going, I just said, "nosir, I wasn't looking at the speedometer"
Then he asked why I was in such a hurry.....my response was "I'm not in any real hurry"

Ticket issued (mandatory court appareance) lawyer pulled some legal-foo and had the date moved to one more convienient, and somehow also got it moved from their traffic court to their regular court.

Judge says "why am I dealing with a traffic ticket?  Ok...8 hour defensive driving course within 30 days and no points.  skip the course and revoked license.  Sound good?"  Prosecutor:  "Yes your honor"  Me: "Yes sir".

Paid $13 in court costs, paid $25 and spent a saturday in a BS defensive driving course (translation:  watch videos of car wrecks and get told "this is what can happen" for 8 hours).  No points against my license.  :)
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 8:15:33 PM EDT
[#35]
I built a car (Z06 Corvette) for a friend for the Texas version of the Silver State Classic. Open road race car that just had to be tested at speed for extended duration. We used to trailer the car down to I-635 in Garland, Texas at about 3:30 am on Sunday nights for a 24 mile test run. The car would stay at 165 to 170 the entire time. I was navigating and both of us were in full safety gear, head socks, fire suits, helmets, gloves, nomex shoes/Socks/undies and hooked in on an intercom in a fully caged, fuel celled street car. I used to laugh about the thought of getting pulled over and clicking up the visor on the helmet and asking the officer if there was a problem. I'm quite sure that Teffis Creffis down at the jail would beat me up for the bright red suede shoes I had on.

Dallas boys: In case you wondered, you can get from Miller Rd. and 635 to DFW airport in under 10 min if your vette ran like ours did.    
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 8:23:44 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Do you even answer?  Anything you say can be incriminating...so it might just be better to keep your mouth shut and make it easier for your lawyer.

WTF

Why do people think a lawyer is the answer to being stupid?  Lawyers feed on people that think they can get way with breaking the law.  

I'm a L.E.O. in Florida and love it when someone brings up "the lawyer card".  

First, most people don't have a lawyer.  I don't know why they even say that.  

Second, if they do, the lawyer won't get out of bed to try to keep them out of trouble / jail.  They're going to be in trouble / jail faster if they try to intimidate me with the lawyer card.  I do have a lawyer and will not hesitate to use him if someone would like the fight it out in civil court.  

Try your best not to break the law and you will have more time and money for your hobbies, not lawyer fees and court cost.  

I can't really find a good reason for most people to exceed the speed limit in that excess.  

Colt_SBR  
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 8:36:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Tell him you had a big bowl of grapenuts for breakfast and Taco Bell for lunch and you are at pucker factor 9.3 and quivering.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 8:41:34 PM EDT
[#38]
People are actually stupid enough to threaten a cop in a case like this? Wow.

Colt_Sbr, please, don't use the "no good reason" arguement, thats the same one they use against our guns. Use the "you have a bad reason for going that fast" arguement please.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 8:42:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Roll onto your back and expose your belly.
Wet yourself to show submissive posture.
Hope for the best.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 8:47:38 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Roll onto your back and expose your belly.
Wet yourself to show submissive posture.
Hope for the best.

+1

At double the speed limit odds are you are getting arrested and nothing you say is going to help.  Really all you can do is say ya got me and get on with whatever is coming.  If you are really going to go that fast you probably deserve what you get anyhow.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 9:08:27 PM EDT
[#41]
I've been stopped going WELL over twice the limit.
(long time ago, but anyway)

In a situation like that I go for brutally honest.
These guys get lied to all day long; its insulting.
Calm demeanor, look 'em in the face and straight forward answers have gotten me a few breaks.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 9:10:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Done it but never gotten busted
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 9:16:44 PM EDT
[#43]
My old boss got caught driving 100+ in mustang he pulled over and popped the hood, said it was driving itself and something is wrong. The woman cop believed it.

Another of my old bosses got clocked going 153 they had to create a roadblock of cars driving in a line on the expressway to stop him. He was going so fast he never knew he was being chased.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 9:21:19 PM EDT
[#44]

Two out of three times I've run from the police in my life I've gotten away!!

(none of those were in the U.S., btw.  Twice in Denmark, and once in Holland ).  
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 10:23:07 PM EDT
[#45]
I've been pulled over for 35 over the limit on my way to work. 90 in a 55....... professional courtesy goes a long way. Didn't even ask for it. Officer asked me where I worked and what I do, then said slow down
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 10:39:07 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
My old boss got caught driving 100+ in mustang he pulled over and popped the hood, said it was driving itself and something is wrong. The woman cop believed it.

Another of my old bosses got clocked going 153 they had to create a roadblock of cars driving in a line on the expressway to stop him. He was going so fast he never knew he was being chased.

Might could play off throttle sticking on an old car.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 10:40:30 PM EDT
[#47]
Keep going and not stop.

but no really, keep going and not stop.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 1:54:16 AM EDT
[#48]
Q: Do you know how fast you were going?

A: Yes.

Then say nothing more on that subject.

Link Posted: 10/4/2004 2:56:13 AM EDT
[#49]
I have actually been in this situation.

I had just finished up a custom Harley and was out doing the shake-down run.  I got out on the interstate and opened her up.  It didn't have a speedometer, but I know I was over 100 when I blasted under an overpass with a State Trooper on top.  I had already slowed a lot by the time he lit me up.  He asked the usual "Do you know how fast you were going?".  I said "Not really, as you can see I don't have a speedometer."  He said "I don't know either as I didn't have enough time to clock you, but it was damned fast."  I explained that I was on a test run and I had opened it up back there where the highway was empty.  He chewed my ass a little about doing that on a public road and then let me go without a ticket.  I figured that was my "get out of jail" card for life so if I do it again I will expect the book to be thrown at me.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 3:28:52 AM EDT
[#50]
Why did you stop in the first place.  Let them catch you.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top