Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/20/2004 10:19:57 AM EDT
Check out the videos on this site. Freakin AMAZING how they stop on a hot dog and not saw through it!www.sawstop.com/video.htm
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 10:25:57 AM EDT
[#1]
what the...

how the...

who the..

but... how does it work?
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 10:26:26 AM EDT
[#2]
What's the big deal.  My brother chopped his thumb off on a table saw and it just grew back (or I think maybe they just sewed it back on - one of the two).
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 10:28:02 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
what the...

how the...

who the..

but... how does it work?

You're attatched to an electrical signal source and the saw blade is continuously monitored for that signal.  When your skin touches the blade the circuit is complete and the blade is e-stopped.

(if it's working properly)
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 10:30:40 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
what the...

how the...

who the..

but... how does it work?

You're attatched to an electrical signal source and the saw blade is continuously monitored for that signal.  When your skin touches the blade the circuit is complete and the blade is e-stopped.

(if it's working properly)

still... its pretty neat.

I am always worried that a stupid mistake will cost me a finger.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 10:30:53 AM EDT
[#5]
DAMN!  That's awesome.

10 years from now, people will be suing for the nick on the finger needing a bandaid.  

<sarcasm of> SEE!  IF WE CAN DO THAT, WE CAN MAKE GUNS SAFE! <sarcasm off>
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 10:31:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Sweet.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 10:34:15 AM EDT
[#7]
that's awesome... a kid cut off his thumb in my middle school shop class back in the day... dumb ass tried to stop a scroll saw with his fingers after he turned it off and it was slowing down.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 10:36:44 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

10 years from now, people will be suing for the nick on the finger needing a bandaid.  

[kerry] Been there, done that, got the Purple Hearts [/kerry]
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 10:38:57 AM EDT
[#9]
That is the coolest thing I have seen today.

EDIT:  I just watched the slow-mo video further down the page, and I don't understand how it can stop the blade that fast.  I assumed it just tripped something that dropped the blade quickly and it spun to a stop safely below the table.  But in the slow-mo vid, the blade stopped BEFORE it retracted.  How the hell can it stop that fast, especially without damaging the unit?
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 10:40:13 AM EDT
[#10]
holy CRAP!!!

that thing is freaking cool!
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 10:40:29 AM EDT
[#11]
I saw this demo'd once it is cool, but manufacturing cost are fairly high (about 150 per saw)

Basically there is a spring loaded block that  holds the blade up.  The electrical connection is un grounded and if something completes the ground circuit, blades drops out of sight....

pretty cool, but I wouldn't want to test it..
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 10:41:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
DAMN! That's awesome.

<sarcasm of> SEE! IF WE CAN DO THAT, WE CAN MAKE GUNS SAFE! <sarcasm off>

True....so True!
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 10:42:51 AM EDT
[#13]
They are taking all of the fun out of it.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 10:43:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
DAMN! That's awesome.

<sarcasm of> SEE! IF WE CAN DO THAT, WE CAN MAKE GUNS SAFE! <sarcasm off>

True....so True!  I can see the libs trying to make weapons that won't shoot anything living.  Just paper!
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 10:46:03 AM EDT
[#15]
thats pretty damn cool!
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 10:46:06 AM EDT
[#16]
I'll have to tell my old man about this. He has been a shop teacher for over 30 years. He still has all his fingers though. Not all his students can say the same.  
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 10:46:36 AM EDT
[#17]

I do woodworking as a hobby and on the many woodworking boards I visit, the SawStop company is universally hated.

They do have a good product that works, but it is an expensive retrofit. SawStop went to some of the major manufacturers of table saws to include their system as an option, the they all balked at the price.

Since SawStop could not get the manufacturers to to buy their system, they did the underhanded thing by going to the government. They submitted all sorts of exaggerated claims of gory accidents and tried to get the consumer safety arm of the government to mandate all manufactures of saws to include "only" their system.

Luckily, their sleazy tactics failed since most accidents were proven to occur due to the consumer removing blade guards, gross negligance, and not following the warnings in the manuals.  SawStop ticked off the woodworking community and their sales dropped.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 10:49:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 10:54:25 AM EDT
[#19]
damn that is cool
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 11:00:08 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I do woodworking as a hobby and on the many woodworking boards I visit, the SawStop company is universally hated.

They do have a good product that works, but it is an expensive retrofit. SawStop went to some of the major manufacturers of table saws to include their system as an option, the they all balked at the price.

Since SawStop could not get the manufacturers to to buy their system, they did the underhanded thing by going to the government. They submitted all sorts of exaggerated claims of gory accidents and tried to get the consumer safety arm of the government to mandate all manufactures of saws to include "only" their system.

Luckily, their sleazy tactics failed since most accidents were proven to occur due to the consumer removing blade guards, gross negligance, and not following the warnings in the manuals.  SawStop ticked off the woodworking community and their sales dropped.

Even if this is true its still way cool and they get extra points from me for innovative thinking.

LOL sounds like bad marketing plan to me. What's going to happen is eventually their patent will expire and all the manufacturers will be free to include it on their machines at probably a fraction of what SawStop would charge them.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 11:01:44 AM EDT
[#21]
I dont understand why they wouldnt try to include it as an option. I mean - whats $200 bucks more on a good piece of equipment if it can save a finger.

I dunno - I got a friend in construction that can take a hand cicular saw and cut 2x4s using his leg as a saw horse. Me - I got some sort of irrational fear of spinning blades (saws, lawnmowers, etc) and really are extra careful around them.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 11:02:37 AM EDT
[#22]
Apparently the demonstrator isn't 100% convinced yet or he wouldn't be using the hot dog.  Super neat idea though.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 11:04:00 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 11:06:09 AM EDT
[#24]

Saw Control Incorporated----"If it just saves one finger"
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 11:12:28 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 1:11:30 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I dont understand why they wouldnt try to include it as an option. I mean - whats $200 bucks more on a good piece of equipment if it can save a finger.

I dunno - I got a friend in construction that can take a hand cicular saw and cut 2x4s using his leg as a saw horse. Me - I got some sort of irrational fear of spinning blades (saws, lawnmowers, etc) and really are extra careful around them.

He cuts away from himself doesn't he???

Years ago they had a living history discusser, they wouldn't let him demonstrate anymore at Mystic Seaport in the Cooper Shop (barrelmaker).  He was about 80 years old and had been in the woodworking field all his life.  And he had the hands, err, fingers, err stumps, to prove it  He had one complete finger on each hand  and the rest were down by at least one knuckle each.  Lived at an Old Folks home about a block away and would walk to "work" even after they "retired" him, he'ld come on down and give his talks.  He'ld start out by saying how dangerous it was and start gesturing and then you'd see his hands.  Got your attention it did.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 1:18:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Great idea, but what if you actually wanted to use your table saw to cut up some hot dogs?
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 1:21:55 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Great idea, but what if you actually wanted to use your table saw to cut up some hot dogs?

Or what if you want to cut a metal object?
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 1:26:33 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Then you can cook them with your blast furnace.  
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 1:33:15 PM EDT
[#30]
I can see it having a place if installed on saws used in places like Lowe's or Homedepot for employee use,  even woodworking shops.

The added cost to the saw is nothing compared to even one lost time workers comp claim.

But for home and contractor grade units it will add too much cost.   I bet it will eventully get put in place..........after a few shyster lawyers get involved.

Just my .02

Link Posted: 10/20/2004 1:35:37 PM EDT
[#31]
tagged
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 1:43:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top