Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/15/2002 4:59:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/15/2002 5:08:22 PM EDT by X--Kill]
Finally saw the infamous "Black Choppers" today as I ate lunch at work. At first I thought it only an ultra-light or the local aviation/aeronautics genius in one of his newest creations.............this guy builds and flies lots of stuff. But, as I looked up and over my shoulder there were three black choppers in ultra tight formation at very low altitude and very high speed. Looks like they were the AH-6J, all were jet black and had no markings whatsoever...none at all. I am relatively close to Fort Campbell where there is a squadron called the Nightstalkers/160th SOAR, so I am sure this is what it was but I would think I am still a bit far for them to be doing manuvers here. Don't know what their typical radius is though. Still, was interesting to see such a sight.
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 5:00:23 PM EDT
[%|]
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 5:04:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/15/2002 5:06:01 PM EDT by X--Kill]
[;D] -------->[(:|)]
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 5:05:59 PM EDT
Originally Posted By X--Kill: I am relatively close to Fort Campbell where a squadron called the Night Stalkers are based as part of the 160th SOAR.
View Quote
The Nightstalkers means [i]the[/i] whole 160th SOAR.
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 5:09:13 PM EDT
Was not sure about that Tuukka....thanks.
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 5:14:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/15/2002 8:36:37 PM EDT by LotBoy]
You took your Tinfoil hat off again! [(:|)]
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 5:28:25 PM EDT
I have lived here in southern Tennessee on and off for the last 20 years. About every two months a flight of 3, C-130s come over at less than 500 feet. Strange. There are mountains to the east and south. They always come from west to east. Several years ago while I was plowing a field I saw about 8 of those black helicopters circling a field about 1/4 mile away. They circled for about 10 minutes in a tight low circle and about 2 minutes into the episode there was a huge plume of black smoke billowing up from the ground. It lasted about 5 minutes. I quit plowing and drove over to see WTF and by the time I got there they were gone. No wreckage or debris on the ground so I went back to plowing. Then there was the bigass helicopter that would go straight up and drop a triangular peice of shiney something; about 15 feet each side, and it would flutter to the ground in an eratic manner like a sheet of paper would do. This went on for about a year and a half. I asked the punkin rollers around here but they said they didn't know what in the hail that thang whas. Why don't these folks check in with me before they do mysterious shit like this?
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 6:34:26 PM EDT
They were probably just mowing crop circles. [:D]
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 7:13:31 PM EDT
Yea, I see them all the time. They build them two miles from here.
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 7:35:49 PM EDT
Yeah, I've seen "them" too...lol. I was sitting on my back deck, sighting in a new 10/22 target rifle I had built up and heard a chopper up the valley. I look a few hundred yards up the valley and shore enough one was flying around, loitering in the area. So, I go back to shooting little tiny groups until I hear it getting closer, so I stop and look up, expecting it to fly over and I think copters and planes are fairly cool so wanted to watch. Lo and behold, it doesn't fly over...it goes into a low hover about 40 yards away and about 30 feet off the ground, right in my barn lot. Fortunately, no stock in the lot. I was quite curious what this was all about, thought maybe the nice agents were going to set down and let me look at their cool helicopter and german machine guns, but alas, they only hovered there. This went on for about 2 or 3 minutes, finally I set down the rifle, pick up my binoculars and look the cockpit over, wave to them, and they just sit there looking ME over. Finally, off they go. Now, this was very strange.....lol. I'm in town a little later and ask one of my friends who is a deputy " Was there any drug investigation activity or anything going on in my neck of the woods today?" Not that he knows of he says, so I take it I was being intimidated for fun....lol. Well....TRYING to be anyway. Ok...have to go put on my tinfoil again. Remember, just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you!!...lol [peep]
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 7:41:16 PM EDT
I'd have run into the house real quick, brought out a case of beer, and waved for them to land that sucker and join me for a cold one! I'm sure it would have gotten at least a smile out of them. CJ
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 8:21:32 PM EDT
Yeah, I probably should have done that. Was more concerned with not making any threatening moves with my "Assault Sniper Precision Evil Thumbhole Rimfire Weapon". Didn't want to get a closer look at the WRONG end of one of those gee whiz german subguns! I have a preban 50 rounder somewhere in the house for it, and didn't want to be mistaken for a threatening individual....lol. I was still a wee bit paranoid about stuff like this at that time, I had recently moved back from California...but I'm feeling MUCH better now. [whacko]
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 10:33:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/15/2002 10:33:33 PM EDT by prk]
I hope those chopper guys never pass slowly 100 feet over a humongous tarp painted to resemble a cannabis field as seen from 5,000 feet....
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 10:44:36 PM EDT
"...and, so, Mr. X-Kill, uh, those 3 BLACK helicopters you saw, uh, how many of them were there and what color were they...?" WHAT black helicopters?
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 5:08:16 AM EDT
They were taking a time out from spraying chem trails. I crack myself up.
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 7:49:15 AM EDT
I used to think people who said such things were conspiracy freaks... until I saw them as well. [:|] Back in '96 I was in Ann Arbor on the edge of town (north-westside which rises out of the valley and is very wooded) and heard what sounded like a helicopter coming overhead. This didn't surprise me as medical helicopters often fly over that spot to take people to U of M hospital. I looked up and right over me there were three black helicopters of a military design (I think ah-64 but the memory fades) flying west about 50 feet above the treeline, in formation, and very slow. I have since come across a few other people who have sighted them, though not always in threes. I'm sure they are US military and not DEA. I have a DEA helicopter that flies over my house every now and then, looking for basement pot growers with it's IR. The only question that needs to be answered is why are they so far from their base of operations?
Link Posted: 3/17/2002 12:33:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/17/2002 12:33:54 AM EDT by DvlDog]
goddam all thie "black helicopter" stuff is stupid. starting in the 80s the army re-painted all their helocopters in a radar reflective paint known as CARC from more than about 50ft away it looks black. every state in the union has Army national guard units. these pilots must fly what are called AFTP which is auxillary flight training periods. they do them at night and during the week, not just on drill weekends. these flights comprise of cross country navigation, NOE (nap of earth) auto-rotation training, mask-un masking etc. they also do the drug spotting flights both with IR and with trained observers with bino's. i know you want to believe they take off and fly tight circles around their home field but that just isnt so. if you are within 200 miles of an army airfield either active, reserve or NG then thats what it is. if you are 200mi and they fly right over your house all the time then you live under the air route to a commonly used range, airport, or MOA (which is a block of airspace reserved for the military)
Link Posted: 3/17/2002 7:52:30 AM EDT
I saw a black helo the other day too. Does that count? I used to see a truck around that was painted a dark gray and had air cav and other military type stickers on it. I ran into him at the gas station (this was a half dozen or more years back) and got to talking. The paint was the real deal-so was he. A friend of his had made general and shipped him a gallon for some reason or other. I remember him telling me it was something like 40% lead with iron suspended in it. The UPS driver was very glad to get it off his truck, what with the warning labels and all. And it's radar absorbing, not reflective (boy scout deed of the day). [:)] I wonder what happened to him.
Link Posted: 3/17/2002 7:58:02 AM EDT
The stuff that was seen falling to the ground like paper could have been chaff dispensors. This is a radar confusing type of tin-foil that washes out radar screens and helps to confuse a radar guided missile.
Link Posted: 3/17/2002 8:19:03 AM EDT
I want to know about the 1000+ T-80's I saw on an army reserve in AZ. Did we buy them? If so, why? "The only interesting rifle is an accurate rifle"
Link Posted: 3/17/2002 11:15:43 AM EDT
Originally Posted By ar10er: I want to know about the 1000+ T-80's I saw on an army reserve in AZ. Did we buy them? If so, why?
View Quote
That seems considerably stranger than the US military flying military helicopters over the US. Why would we need three armoured divisions worth of those tanks to train?
Link Posted: 3/17/2002 4:25:45 PM EDT
Dude, CARC is Chemical Agent Resistive Coating. It's to make decon after an NBC exposure easier, and to keep outgassing to a minimum...it doesn't have a frigging thing to do with radar.
Link Posted: 3/17/2002 5:25:44 PM EDT
#1 Calling them "choppers" is like calling a magazine a "clip" to some of us. #2 If the aircraft is freshly painted it is hard to read the markings standing right next to it let alone from a distance. My guess is that is the case here. Aviator [img]www.milpubs.com/aviator.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 3/17/2002 5:40:05 PM EDT
Ok DvlDog, I understand that. Also...I haven't read anything very paranoid in this thread, so cool off there dude. I take it you haven't seen anything even remotely suspicious or weird at any point in your life? Also..don't anyone flame me for this because I don't remember exactly, but when I was taking private pilot training for a while, there were FAA rules on how high over populated areas aircraft had to stay. Seems to me hovering 35 to 40 feet over my barn lot might be considered a little low. And, why is it DvlDog do you think that the pilot and or passengers felt a need to do this? I'm sure that the ATF and FBI wouldn't burn a bunch of women and children because they were practicing a religion that wasn't Politically Correct either, nor would they shoot a woman holding something threatening like a child in the back through the front door of her cabin either. I'm sure they would never shoot a boy scout in the face because he chose to obey the wrong conflicting order, and then withhold the shooters name. Whoops....maybe they would.
Link Posted: 3/17/2002 6:24:20 PM EDT
I saw them, too!! There I was, sitting on the DZ, wearing my uniform (but no tinfoil hat, just a PC) minding my own damn business with a NATO "L" VS-17 panel pattern laid out and an IR strobe in my hand when all of a sudden, two of those black suckers came to a hover and landed. They motioned me and the boys on over and made like they wanted us to get it! We did and they handed me a headset and asked me where we wanted to go! Then they took us there, not slow and at a constant altitude, like a regular aeroplane, but flying fast and low and jinking, pretending like they were being shot at! They even stopped a few times and hovered like they were letting more people get on and off. I heard one of those guys say something about a "false insertion" so I checked my six real quick I tell you! Why do you reckon they would do that? I tell you it was some kind of experience! I got me one of them high speed radios now and they come whenever I call them. All I had to do was sign some papers saying something about serving for a whole bunch of years, but I didn't pay that no never mind. Did I do okay?
Link Posted: 3/17/2002 6:36:42 PM EDT
LOL...ok point taken SF if tha twer' aimed at me. Yes, might have been a false insertion, albeit a long one.
Link Posted: 3/17/2002 7:09:27 PM EDT
Originally Posted By kicker9898: LOL...ok point taken SF if tha twer' aimed at me. Yes, might have been a false insertion, albeit a long one.
View Quote
Kicker: Not aimed at you, just generically at the topic that seems to pop up VERY regularly here. I have seen them land at civilian airfields, on my Uncle's farm (his son was the Corps Commander's pilot), when and wherever malfunctions occur, and in a number of other irregular locations. Haven't seen an evil UN weapons seizure plot yet, but I guess you never know. Just my .02, YMMV.
Link Posted: 3/17/2002 7:18:04 PM EDT
#1 Calling them "choppers" is like calling a magazine a "clip" to some of us.
View Quote
That's right. The correct term is "whirlybird". [:D]
Link Posted: 3/17/2002 7:44:58 PM EDT
Originally Posted By shooter69: I used to think people who said such things were conspiracy freaks... until I saw them as well. [:|]
View Quote
We had two of the "Black" ones hover just below the treeline across the river from where we shoot. One of them had the [(:|)] alien looking camera on top checking out our camp. Kinda freaky, but it was pretty cool!! DK [:D]
Link Posted: 3/17/2002 7:48:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/17/2002 7:51:45 PM EDT by ah1z]
if you are correct is saying that the helicopter was a ah-6 than you are also correct in saying that is was part of the 160th soars. for they are they only unit who flies them, and they are also the only unit who are allowed to paint they're helos black. If it really was a night stalker helicopter, which you sighted than coun't it as an fortunate experience that most of us civies never get the oppurtunity to see. They are one of the only special operation aviation units in the us military, and the only unit that flies the ah-6 series of helos. the night stalkers fly every thing from tiny( and I do mean tiny) ah-6s to modified chinooks, and some of which are capable of mid flight refuel and are capable of traveling quite a ways off the beaten path in support of special operations missions, training, etc. I have had the rare oppurtunity to know some of the guys who teach sere class and have met a few 160soars canadates going through the school. They are all strict proffessionals from what I have seen. but what do I know I am just a 16 year old kid [:D] ps. nsdq
Link Posted: 3/17/2002 7:51:12 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Renamed:
#1 Calling them "choppers" is like calling a magazine a "clip" to some of us.
View Quote
That's right. The correct term is "whirlybird". [:D]
View Quote
and jellybird
Link Posted: 3/18/2002 7:42:49 AM EDT
all I ever get to see are gray, green,or tan,I feel cheated,.
Link Posted: 3/18/2002 7:51:46 AM EDT
There are black choppers used by the dope cops (DEA/Customs/whoever) chasing planes coming in from the south. My son saw one of these being refueled at a local airport while he was participating in a CAP practice SAR (Search and Rescue). He said he and a few other CAP cadets went over to check it out... it was flat black with gloss black markings, in small letters at that. They were almost immediately approached by guys with guns who ordered them away from the chopper.
Link Posted: 3/18/2002 8:15:25 AM EDT
That reminds me... about a year ago, I saw a small plane (a Piper twin) flying low (under 500 feet) over Palm Bay, Florida with an unusually marked helicopter flying close behind it, in the "blind spot" where it's very unlikely that any occupant of the plane could have seen it. Does anyone know what a marked DEA or Customs helicopter looks like? I'm guessing it was a "suspicious plane" that was suspected of transporting a cargo of contraband, probably drugs. It was heading in the right direction to get to the far south end of Palm Bay which is VERY undeveloped and has a lot of empty roads without powerlines near them, making them good potential drop points. I've been down some of those roads and there were pairs of tire marks on some of them that were too far apart to be made by any car or truck, but would be about right for some small planes. CJ
Link Posted: 3/18/2002 5:28:22 PM EDT
So far in this thread we have two reports of military aircraft being used to spy on U.S. citizens in the name of the drug war. And as usual, I'm the only one that seems to be bothered by this.
Link Posted: 3/18/2002 5:57:46 PM EDT
Like I said............w/o doubt these birds were the AH6-J. Did I also mention that right before the came over the radio on my truck went dead? Thought I forgot that. Seriously though. Fort Campbell is close enough by that they could easily [and obviously so] been on manuvers. Cool sight still as they were very fast and very tight. Impressive to say the least. [hat back on]
Link Posted: 3/18/2002 6:20:54 PM EDT
The pilots and crewmen (since there are no wimmen, yet) of the 160th SOAR are the finest rotary wing aviators in this country.
Link Posted: 3/18/2002 6:33:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/18/2002 6:43:50 PM EDT by ah1z]
As a helo pilot in training ( just soloed 2 months ago [:D]) I would venture to say they are probably the best rotary wing pilots in the world. they are by far the best that I have ever seen. and they are very proffessional as well. for they're didication and proffessionalism I respect them deaply I don't really know much about the radio part, but to my knowledge the ah-6 is the most secretive helo in the military. but thats not to say that there coudn't be somthing I don't know about.
Link Posted: 3/18/2002 6:46:37 PM EDT
Originally Posted By PeterAR: So far in this thread we have two reports of military aircraft being used to spy on U.S. citizens in the name of the drug war. And as usual, I'm the only one that seems to be bothered by this.
View Quote
I guess you are just smarter than the rest of us. [moon][peep][whacko][:O][shock]
Link Posted: 3/19/2002 7:23:12 AM EDT
[img]http://www.clicksmilie.de/sammlung/aktion/aktion085.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 3/19/2002 10:14:17 AM EDT
A bit OT, but anyway it's a good story. In 1990, I was working with my Dad on a ranch close by Ft. Huachuca in southern Arizona. Our neighbor was the local DEA chief and had given us a 'heads up' regarding a large group of mules heading over the border along with several drug drops. This was appreciated since a woman had been raped and killed in the area just a few days before, and a mule was the #1 suspect in the attack. We had several Catahoula hounds for chasing cows in the brush. Late one night, these dogs all go apesh1t and 5 Catahoulas can make a big racket! My Dad and I go immediately to threat-con Delta (I think this would be purple on the new threat'color chart'), and are locked and loaded as we go to investigate the problem. We grabbed one of the meaner dogs and let him lead us about 200 yards from the houses to around the horse barn. As we got closer, and quieted the dog, we could hear very faint radio traffic coming from a small hill about 150 yrds away. As we were studying the hill we noticed a strobe light begin to flash and the radio traffic but we could not make out specific words. My Dad yelled towards the hill, in English and Spanish, instructions to, "put your hands up and come towards the buildings". As soon as he started, the radio traffic picked up in volume then ended abruptly, and the strobe light went out. At this point we were thinking that we had been invaded and we going to be in a fire fight immediately! Dad and I changed locations, moving towards the hill and off to our right and took up positions about 10 yards apart in order to provide mutual assistance. As we still had the dog, Dad yelled to the hill again with a warning that he was going to loose the dog. Immediately the radio traffic began again and although no words were heard, the tempo of the speech and the volume went up dramatically. I let the dog loose on Dad's signal and we moved again, closer to the hill and up a small ridge so we were flanking the initial position now about 50 yards from the site of the radio traffic and the strobe light. After about 2 minutes we heard a loud growl, a scream, a thump and a dog's yelp then silence. Dad looked over at me and he was mad!! He then yelled to the hill, advising that we were going to begin to advance on the hill, shooting anything that did not surrender immediately. As we began up the hill, I was scared sh1tless, and sure that I would not live to see the dawn. I was covering the right flank and noticed a blur of movement on my left about 45 yards away, Dad whirled and saw a threat and fired once from his model 29 S&W .357 Magnum. The round hit a rock and whined away in the night. The radio traffic then became frantic and loud enough that we could determine the language as English. The words we heard were ..."set a dog on me and now they are shooting at me! Get me out of here!" Of course Dad and I safed our weapons and made contact with the occupant at the hill top and after we determined that there was no more threat we climbed up. On the way, we found our unconscious but otherwise unhurt Catahoula hound. At the top of the hill we found a very shaken and seriously injured, with a badly broken leg, young U.S. Marine. OH SH1T !!!
Link Posted: 3/19/2002 10:27:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/19/2002 10:28:26 AM EDT by wiggy762]
(continued) We then immedaitely safed our weapons and began to administer first aid and splinted the broken leg. At this time I looked back down our mile long driveway and saw about 30 energency vehicles all with the lights and sirens going. We carried the Marine down to the main area of the ranch at about the same time, the vehicles and helicopters landed. There was a growing contingent of the local sherrifs dept, Army MP's, and regular Army personnel... all armed and looking at my Dad and I with hatred. We were disarmed but not cuffed and the local deputy deferred to the ranking Army officer on site. We told the story repeated above, and luckily the DEA Chief was also called out and able to confirm our story. The Army CO gave our weapons back and even apologized for the inconvenience! Bootom line... One vet bill for Catahoula hound - $100.00 One laundry bill for severly stained underwear - $10.00 One .357 magnum round - $.11 One repulsed invasion by the USMC - priceless
Top Top