Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/20/2008 12:13:45 PM EDT
I pulled up to a stop light about fifteen minutes ago and a silver Jeep Liberty went through the intersection going the other way, but it appeared to be flying.  It took me a second to realize what I was seeing, the Jeep was rolling over in mid air.  It landed about halfway through the intersection, rolled back onto its wheels and came to rest, ever so gently, with the light pole pushed about 6" into the passenger door.  Then a green Subaru Outback came through, spinning out with the front bumper pushed all the way to the firewall.  

The guy next to me in traffic got out to make sure everyone was alive, I called 911 and ran to help the other guy.  The lady in the jeep was FUCKED UP but alive, although unconscious.  The windows were broken out of the Jeep enough for us to check for a pulse, but we couldn't get the doors open.  Her left leg was clearly broken, I had never seen a compound fracture of the femur before.    

First cop was there within 30 seconds of my phone call, first ambulance within 45 seconds, we were only a few blocks from the hospital.  

I still can't believe what I saw.  I've been involved in some minor accidents but I've never seen cars weighing several thousand pounds tossed around like that.  And I really can't believe that such a violent collision happened right in front of me and I didn't even notice until I saw one of the cars airborne.

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 12:16:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Damn.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 12:17:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Life comes at you fast!
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 12:17:49 PM EDT
[#3]
These things happen.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 12:18:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Damn thats some shit.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 12:18:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 12:19:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Was it icy or something?
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 12:20:12 PM EDT
[#7]
You know what else is fucked up?  My mom drives a Jeep Liberty that matches that description;  I had to check what state you were in.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 12:20:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Pics?
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 12:22:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I pulled up to a stop light about fifteen minutes ago and a silver Jeep Liberty went through the intersection going the other way, but it appeared to be flying.  It took me a second to realize what I was seeing, the Jeep was rolling over in mid air.  It landed about halfway through the intersection, rolled back onto its wheels and came to rest, ever so gently, with the light pole pushed about 6" into the passenger door.  Then a green Subaru Outback came through, spinning out with the front bumper pushed all the way to the firewall.  

The guy next to me in traffic got out to make sure everyone was alive, I called 911 and ran to help the other guy.  The lady in the jeep was FUCKED UP but alive, although unconscious.  The windows were broken out of the Jeep enough for us to check for a pulse, but we couldn't get the doors open.  Her left leg was clearly broken, I had never seen a compound fracture of the femur before.    

First cop was there within 30 seconds of my phone call, first ambulance within 45 seconds, we were only a few blocks from the hospital.  

I still can't believe what I saw.  I've been involved in some minor accidents but I've never seen cars weighing several thousand pounds tossed around like that.  And I really can't believe that such a violent collision happened right in front of me and I didn't even notice until I saw one of the cars airborne.

Fun, ain't it? I don't know how the paramedics do their jobs. Touching all of that ... yeesh. Thank you for stopping to help, and calling.

Doc
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 12:24:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Who hit who? Did some one run a red light? Did the Subaru hit the Jeep, or did the Jeep hit the Subaru? More details man!!!! Pics would be cool too if you have them!!
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 12:26:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Last year the wife and I were having a fight, a rare thing for us, but an honest to God FIGHT about her driving, she puts a lot of miles on, tends to cut corners, just had gotten careless as tends to happen to people who drive a lot. I said something about it and she got all defensive.

Anyway, just about the time I was thinking I really should have kept my mouth shut because this wasn't helping at all the car in front of us changes lanes into the car next to them, and pushes them right into the end of the K-rail where the two-lane exit we were on split from the interstate, just a brutal accident, lady lived but it was a near thing.

It's amazing how suddenly stuff happens at freeway speeds.

I was once right behind an incident involving two semis and a tempo also, four fatalities, not something I'll ever be able to forget.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 12:29:57 PM EDT
[#12]
MS Paint?
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 12:31:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Sounds bad. Glad you weren't involved.

You mentioning the light pole penetrating the door made me think of a photo I saw once that a EMT showed me of a accident scene.

The short of it was a steel stop sign post that went straight into a guys mouth and came out the back of his head. The guys eyes were still open. Talk about DRT.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 12:33:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Yikes!

A few months back I was in my truck at a 4 way intersection waitinf for the light to change in my favor.  Suddenly I heard SCREEEEECCHH and a newer white mercedies ran the red light and nailed a small Ford, which in turn took out a guy standing at the intersection waiting to cross.  There were car parts everywhere.  Luckily there was a cop standing on the corner next to my truck, and the hospital was right behind him.  It happened so damn quick, lots of damage and I still don't know if the pedestrian lived.  

Be careful out there!
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 12:37:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Everybody needs a dash-cam.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 12:41:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Pics?

Phone doesn't have a camera.  

I'll work on the MS Paint.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 12:41:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Life comes at you fast!

No kidding.  I hope the people involved in the accident survive.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 12:43:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Fun, ain't it? I don't know how the paramedics do their jobs. Touching all of that ... yeesh. Thank you for stopping to help, and calling.

Doc

One of my cousins does IED and suicide bombing cleanups in Israel. Some of the pictures he's sent me...
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 12:43:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Try being in EMS. The things you see....
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 12:46:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

QFT
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 12:48:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I have witnessed an accident before coming home from work, was about to pull into the neighborhood and a huge accident involving a F350 and a civic, the civic was coming out of the residential area and was t-boned by the F350. I saw the whole thing happen. I called 911 and asked if everyone was ok. Nothing serious the driver of the civic had a cut on their forehead as they struck the windsheild/door pillar.

I was just a witness, but I was shaking as if I were invovled. Car accidents are a freaky experience even if you're not invovled.

I'm glad you did the right thing by calling the police and providing assistance to the drivers involved. Most people will rubberneck to look at the carnage but can't be bothered to help.

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 12:50:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Thats intense, glad you were able to help out
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 12:52:53 PM EDT
[#23]

That stinks...
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 12:54:49 PM EDT
[#24]
I saw an accident like that back in the 90's.

A Cavelier pulled in front of an S-10 which was doing every bit of 55. The S-10 did three flips, nose over tail and landed on its side. The 50+ driver kicked the windshield out, crawls out and sits on the side of the ditch bank. The at fault driver had a hole in his head from hitting the window or wheel.

The S-10 drivers son comes a few cars later and says,*%^^$^(* dad, you sure are tring to kill yourself.

The truck was spank'n new, and the old guy had just been in a head on collison a few days earlier and walked out of it without a scratch as well.

That was his 3rd accident in approx 2/12 weeks.

Yup its wild to see a vehicle being hurled at you or past you end over end doing 50-60 miles an hour.

That was in Hemlock Mi.

StagPower
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 12:54:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

No, we just need to not hand out fucking licenses to every single idiot who walks into the DOL.

If we only licensed the people who actually were competent to drive, there'd probably only be as many licensed drivers in the nation as there are licensed private pilots.

Everybody else is too naturally fucking incompetent to trust with several tons of steel at 70mph.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 12:56:02 PM EDT
[#26]
I watched a lady walk out from behind a stopped UPS truck on a 45mph road at rush hour.
The lady in front of me had maybe 5 feet to stop.

Like a rag doll.

That was 16 years ago, I can visualize everything.

Be careful out there.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 12:56:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, we just need to not hand out fucking licenses to every single idiot who walks into the DOL.

If we only licensed the people who actually were competent to drive, there'd probably only be as many licensed drivers in the nation as there are licensed private pilots.

Everybody else is too naturally fucking incompetent to trust with several tons of steel at 70mph.

No matter how "competent" equipment operators may or may not be, shit still happens.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 1:00:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

QFT

Energy, whether it be kinetic, potential or on and on, can be a true bitch to the human body.

The human body can withstand great trauma, or die at the slightest.

You pays your money and you takes your chances.

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 1:02:38 PM EDT
[#29]
When I used to drive for an auto-parts company, delivering parts, I was heading down a highway one time and looked up in time to see a pickup barrel-rolling down the road in front of me. It's surreal, isn't it?

I stopped and called. Woman appeared to be alive but unconscious. She was breathing, but appeared to jump or gasp every once in a while. I left after the paramedics arrived. When I drove back through there a couple of hours later, there were no markings in the road and I never saw any crosses go up at that location or anything, but I don't really know if she lived or not.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 1:04:26 PM EDT
[#30]
Unfortunately you get used to that sort of thing after you respond to a few of them.

Now that I don't work for the P.D I'm never a first responder to any accidents. However, I still spend a significant amount of time on the roads and am still required to offer assistance. Last year while returning to my office from an investigation I pulled up on a rollover with the vehicle still on its roof. A young male, approx 20, was feeling for a pulse on an ankle that was hanging out of the passenger side door. I asked if there was a  pulse and he said yes. I exited my vehicle and went for a look-see. The head rest of the passenger side seat was pinning the head/neck of the victim to the concrete - a portion of the roof was missing. Now, this kids just told me the victim had a pulse - so I immediately stop vehicles and ask for assistance in lifting the car off this guys head. A guy and his wife exit their vehicle to assist - Myself, the 20 y/o kid and this poor guy I stopped begin to lift on the car while the poor guys wife grabs the victims ankles to pull him out. As the car begins to lift up I peek through the window and see the victims brains spilling out of his head - which resembled a pancake. I told everyone to put the car back down.

Know what the moral of that story is? Don't listen to an "amateur" - I could have pulled a muscle or something.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 1:11:16 PM EDT
[#31]
That is, what we call in Physics, an inelastic collision.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 1:11:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Unfortunately you get used to that sort of thing after you respond to a few of them.

Now that I don't work for the P.D I'm never a first responder to any accidents. However, I still spend a significant amount of time on the roads and am still required to offer assistance. Last year while returning to my office from an investigation I pulled up on a rollover with the vehicle still on its roof. A young male, approx 20, was feeling for a pulse on an ankle that was hanging out of the passenger side door. I asked if there was a  pulse and he said yes. I exited my vehicle and went for a look-see. The head rest of the passenger side seat was pinning the head/neck of the victim to the concrete - a portion of the roof was missing. Now, this kids just told me the victim had a pulse - so I immediately stop vehicles and ask for assistance in lifting the car off this guys head. A guy and his wife exit their vehicle to assist - Myself, the 20 y/o kid and this poor guy I stopped begin to lift on the car while the poor guys wife grabs the victims ankles to pull him out. As the car begins to lift up I peek through the window and see the victims brains spilling out of his head - which resembled a pancake. I told everyone to put the car back down.

Know what the moral of that story is? Don't listen to an "amateur" - I could have pulled a muscle or something.

Probably feeling his own pulse from improperly-trained technique.

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 1:13:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Damn, hopefully everyone makes a full recovery.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 1:16:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Dang, you are as cold as the guy who ate halloween candy from a murder victim while waiting for backup
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 1:35:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Thanks for the MS Paint. I don't know why you said the Liberty was "going the other way".
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 1:51:59 PM EDT
[#36]
we need more vehicle control. Tighter restrictions on people buying vehicles. Serialized fuel purchases.......

I have seen way too many crashes like this to let it bother me. Too many people have died as I watched them take their last breath. Too much blood has been spilled on the roads.
I am glad everyone gets to go home, some sooner, but home none the less.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 2:18:26 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Thanks for the MS Paint. I don't know why you said the Liberty was "going the other way".

I was going South on the North/South road.  He was going West on the East/West road.  My road goes one way, his goes the other way.

I think that may be a Wyomingism.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 4:17:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dang, you are as cold as the guy who ate halloween candy from a murder victim while waiting for backup

It's not that I dont' care (I kinda care) - but there comes a point when you have witnessed enough that it doesn't really affect you anymore. I've been in houses with brains and skull fragments dripping off the ceiling, responded to numerous fatal accidents, picked up body parts from douchebags that decided to step in front of trains, etc etc.

The 2 worst things I've ever been involved with - that do still bother me - is the Grandfather that was leaving his grand-daughters house, grand-daughter wanted one last hug and kiss, grandfather leaned out of his truck window to pick her up and as he dropped her his foot came off the brake pedal. The truck was in reverse and he ran over her head - killing her. The grandfather had to be admitted to a psych hospital.

And then there was the 9 yr old who was riding his 6 yr old brother on the front handlebars of a dads fullsize 4 wheeler. 6 year old flips off the front and 9 yr old runs him over - braking ribs which pierce the 6 yr olds heart, killing him. The 9 yr old wrecked the 4 wheeler trying to stop it and dislocated his shoulder - he refused to let anyone work on him or give him assistance because he wanted everyone to work on his brother.

Those still get to me.

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:13:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was going South on the North/South road.  He was going West on the East/West road.  My road goes one way, his goes the other way.

I think that may be a Wyomingism.

I think so. "The other way" to me means if you're going South, he's going North.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:43:08 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Damn.

This

and good on you for doing something instead of bystanding
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top