Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
9/17/2020 5:59:48 PM
Posted: 4/24/2013 8:00:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/25/2013 6:27:11 PM EDT by LArifleMAN]
A guy had an ad locally for some parts guns that were rusted all to hell, so naturally I stopped by to see.

A couple old crack barrels, a chopped up mauser of unknown origin, a Remington Model 10 and possibly the strangest shotgun I have ever seen. It was a weird drop-block action and it was only marked Bannerman. That was the only discernible marking and I really wanted to get it but it was completely seized up, the drop block part had zero tension and the slide wouldn't budge. I ended up buying the Remington for $50 and I plan to try and restore it just a bit. I know it holds barely any collectors value so I don't feel too bad about it.

I will post some pics in the morning.

This is what the Bannerman could be if it wasn't in such terrible shape

Link Posted: 4/24/2013 8:03:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/24/2013 8:03:55 PM EDT by 103]
$50? Seems like a lot. I got an 1897 takedown off a guy for $20 last time I went through "parts guns." Works perfectly now, heh.

ETA: But that does look like a fun project.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 8:04:15 PM EDT
Good snag on the remington.

Need pics.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 8:05:56 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Thoughtcrime:
Good snag on the remington.

Need pics.

I took some steel wool to it tonight and cleaned some of the surface rust off, it's going to need a new butt stock as the old one was split in half
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 6:18:32 PM EDT
A couple shots of the busted ole girl

Finding a new used butt stock is going to be the hardest part I think. Then I'll probably cut her down to 20" and either have her blued or parked not sure which yet.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 7:02:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/25/2013 7:03:37 PM EDT by Atomic_Ferret]
Bannerman was a huge turn of the century arms dealer in New York. He was known for his castle on an island in the Hudson river.
The ruins are still there. Neat little piece of history you got there.

Edit: nevermind, thought you bought the Bannerman too.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 7:06:18 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Atomic_Ferret:
Bannerman was a huge turn of the century arms dealer in New York. He was known for his castle on an island in the Hudson river.

I'm still considering the Bannerman if he still has it this weekend, I just don't think I'll be able to find parts for it.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 7:07:38 PM EDT
wow. Good luck with the remington. Please post some pics of restoration when done.  We need threads like that.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 7:19:43 PM EDT
Originally Posted By B-1BMRSP:
wow. Good luck with the remington. Please post some pics of restoration when done.  We need threads like that.

Oh I will. You can still rack it, it just takes a little effort; it still can be dry fired as well.

Does anyone have a efficient method for removing the rust, other than steel wool or a Dremel.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 7:30:23 PM EDT
Originally Posted By LArifleMAN:

Oh I will. You can still rack it, it just takes a little effort; it still can be dry fired as well.

Does anyone have a efficient method for removing the rust, other than steel wool or a Dremel.

Electrolysis tank. They're easy to set up.

You can probably save that stock too, as long as the wood is solid.  You just need some good epoxy. Maybe reinforce with dowels.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 7:32:06 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 7:35:05 PM EDT

My first thought would be Naval Jelly... but it's pretty harsh stuff. That said, it works.

Second thought is Ballistol.

It works too, requires more elbow grease, but it won't hurt wood. I wouldn't get Naval Jelly on wood I don't think.

Link Posted: 4/25/2013 7:36:12 PM EDT

Originally Posted By jjwheeler2:

Electrolytic Rust removal

Or that... but I'd probably fry my balls off somehow.

They don't even let me near the scissors or the duct tape.

Link Posted: 4/25/2013 7:37:07 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 7:38:43 PM EDT
Shotgun equivalent of the Bannerman Special?
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 7:40:25 PM EDT

I tried evapo-rust on tools before and it worked really well. It says good for gun parts but haven't tried that. Just let it soak over night and wipe it off. I still had to use some steel wool on some areas but I was happy about the finish. The finish is still pitted but the rust is gone.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 7:40:36 PM EDT
For rust removal try saturating the metal with Kroil or other penetrating oil for a day or so before hitting it with steel wool.

Separate the wood from the metal where possible. Though if you're going to replace it, I don't suppose it matters.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 7:47:54 PM EDT
First pics are of a Spencer pump shotgun. Probably the first pump ever produced. Most likely pre 1900.  I wouldn't shoot anything more than the weakest trap load through that. Same company that made famous Civil war carbine. Load and eject through the top.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 7:49:28 PM EDT
In all seriousness, I wouldn't try to clean them up until I determined their pedigree.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 7:50:05 PM EDT
Originally Posted By gonzo_beyondo:

Originally Posted By jjwheeler2:
Electrolytic Rust removal

Or that... but I'd probably fry my balls off somehow.

They don't even let me near the scissors or the duct tape.

First time I did it I was expecting electrical arcs off the water, circuit breakers tripping, power out in the whole neighborhood, etc.

As far as that tutorial goes, its good, but you don't need a battery charger. You can use an old wall brick from something you don't have anymore, like a cell phone wall cord.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 7:58:48 PM EDT
Originally Posted By AeroE:
That stock is easy to fix.

Naww, it's pretty well fucked, bent quite a bent.

Thanks for the tips, I might try the electrolysis.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 9:28:46 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Atomic_Ferret:

I'm still considering the Bannerman if he still has it this weekend, I just don't think I'll be able to find parts for it.

Looks like the Bannerman is a bit of a collectors item. I would grab it if it is intact, Would make a neat conversation piece/wall hanger.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 9:45:59 PM EDT
Originally Posted By deaddog8:
First pics are of a Spencer pump shotgun. Probably the first pump ever produced. Most likely pre 1900.  I wouldn't shoot anything more than the weakest trap load through that. Same company that made famous Civil war carbine. Load and eject through the top.

Christopher Spencer design patened btw 1882 & 1884.
I own one of them.
When Winchester put them out of business, Bannerman bought the entire stock of unassembled parts and started selling them under his name.

These are blackpowder ammo guns ONLY.
They are short chambered - 2 9/16", NOT SAMMI spec 2 3/4"!!!!
Please, if you get it and make the action functional DO NOT put a modern shotshell w/ smokeless powder thru it.
Plus there is a chance that the bbl is damascus and not safe to shoot under any circumstances.
I'd love to have it for spare parts.

And yes, I have shot mine, with light loaded black powder shells (no BP subs) and in shortened shells with roll crimps.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 10:17:48 PM EDT
Break free and BRONZE wool.

Steel wool will cut steel. Bronze wool wont.
Check woodworking hobby supply shops, and Brownells.

Definately snag the Bannermans gun.
It's history. Rusted and fucked up, but History all the same.
And please dont alter it anymore than a good cleaning.
It's probably not worth much on the general market, but some collector out there is looking for one.
Top Top