Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 5/1/2002 2:04:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/1/2002 3:18:39 PM EDT by DScottHewitt]
Historian Steven Ambrose diagnosed with lung cancer... Scott (EDITED TO DELETE MY SARCASTIC QUOTE AROUND HISTORIAN)
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 2:11:16 PM EDT
That is sad to hear. Whatever your opinions over his methods, he is a very good writer of popular history and I very much enjoy his books.
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 2:17:52 PM EDT
As I understand it, Stephen Ambrose is accused of quoting from sources without full attribution (i.e.: he uses complete sentences from sources listed in his bibliographies without putting them in quotations and footnoting.) That's not the same order of magnitude as Bellesiles misquoting, fabrication, and omission of data. Just my 2¢ I hope it's treatable, and he recovers. The guy's done more to popularize history than any other dozen historians.
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 3:17:51 PM EDT
Originally Posted By KBaker: As I understand it, Stephen Ambrose is accused of quoting from sources without full attribution (i.e.: he uses complete sentences from sources listed in his bibliographies without putting them in quotations and footnoting.) That's not the same order of magnitude as Bellesiles misquoting, fabrication, and omission of data. Just my 2¢ I hope it's treatable, and he recovers. The guy's done more to popularize history than any other dozen historians.
View Quote
Okay, I thought he was the one who made up the anti-gun history thing... My bad Scott
Top Top