Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/1/2002 2:04:35 PM EDT
Historian Steven Ambrose diagnosed with lung cancer...

Scott

(EDITED TO DELETE MY SARCASTIC QUOTE AROUND HISTORIAN)

Link Posted: 5/1/2002 2:11:16 PM EDT
[#1]
That is sad to hear.
Whatever your opinions over his methods, he is a very good writer of popular history and I very much enjoy his books.
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 2:17:52 PM EDT
[#2]
As I understand it, Stephen Ambrose is accused of quoting from sources without full attribution (i.e.:  he uses complete sentences from sources listed in his bibliographies without putting them in quotations and footnoting.)  That's not the same order of magnitude as Bellesiles misquoting, fabrication, and omission of data.

Just my 2¢

I hope it's treatable, and he recovers.  The guy's done more to popularize history than any other dozen historians.
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 3:17:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
As I understand it, Stephen Ambrose is accused of quoting from sources without full attribution (i.e.:  he uses complete sentences from sources listed in his bibliographies without putting them in quotations and footnoting.)  That's not the same order of magnitude as Bellesiles misquoting, fabrication, and omission of data.

Just my 2¢

I hope it's treatable, and he recovers.  The guy's done more to popularize history than any other dozen historians.
View Quote

Okay, I thought he was the one who made up the anti-gun history thing...

My bad

Scott

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top