Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 1/12/2006 9:19:08 PM EDT
What can the "HIVE MIND" tell me about savings bonds?

I'd like to invest in something so when it comes time to pay for my kids education i can help them out a bit.

Are they worth it? Have you benifited from it? Have you had them so long that you forgot about them until reading this post?

Link Posted: 1/12/2006 9:22:07 PM EDT
They appreciate slower than hammered dog shit. My parents made a point of buying about $1000 worth of bonds back when I was born in 1985. By 1996 they were worth $2,500 and today are worth about $4,700.

They are the absolute safest investment of all but as a result have an extremely low yield.

A better bet to raise some money for your childen's education and what not would be talking to an investment planner and starting some kind of an investment portfolio that's extremely low risk but is going to yield better than savings bonds over time. Economic pillars in the form of large-cap stocks and safe bonds would be a good bet.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 9:26:48 PM EDT

Originally Posted By roboman:
They appreciate slower than hammered dog shit.

I was going to say "they suck", but roboman put it much more eloquently. Savings Bonds and CD's are dogshit, in my humble opinion, except under very rare economic circumstances.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 9:29:51 PM EDT

Originally Posted By PeteCO:

Originally Posted By roboman:
They appreciate slower than hammered dog shit.

I was going to say "they suck", but roboman put it much more eloquently. Savings Bonds and CD's are dogshit, in my humble opinion, except under very rare economic circumstances.

If only I was 20 back when Reagan was around and CD's yielded 12+%. I'd put every dime I could afford into those bastards.
Top Top